3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Upgrade price = Price_of_3.0 - Current_price + 20$

Price_of_3.0 is expected to be around 200$

N = 200 - 120 + 20

N = 100

not bad, and the current price will increase after September 15, which would make it cheaper to upgrade( at least for me).

Ditto for me. At this point, I have no idea what he just said. All I know is that if it costs $120 (or even $100) to upgrade, it's time to move on.

Really? Let's see what your options are. Modo = $800-900, BodyPaint 3D = $900, ZBrush 3 = $600, Mudbox 2 not announced price wise but it will be around $400-600. 3DC gives you all of the painting capability of BodyPaint and Zbrush with a better interface and depth painting. A good portion of ZBrush or Mudbox sculpting capability albeit not as good in that department. The best retopology tools period of any package! Volumetric sculpting which is clumsy and a pain in ZB and not even offered in the other packages. Ambient Occlusion you can't even do in ZB or Mudbox and I doubt it can be done in Modo. All that and more for $200 or $100 upgrade. Silo 2 is the only thing close in price but it lacks a lot of 3DC's functionality as well. Although it does modeling.

I hope you find what you're looking for because I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't exist. This program is worth the price for the retopology tools alone. If you're not in the biz then it's well worth the price for all that you get in comparison to the aforementioned products that are the norm in the industry today. Well Modo isn't used at all but it's an affordable solution for some.

Simple formula. $200 for 3.0 minus the cost paid for 2.0 ($120 for most) plus $20 for all of the free upgrades that were given during 2.0s lifespan. $100 upgrade.

• Advanced Member

...and all of them after NEX :P

but seriously. with a bit of refinement 3dcoat's retopology tools will spank the pants off all the other tools. Especially if the baking and surface transfer has been given time to mature.

p.s. didn't much care for Topogun's workflow. the tools feel really disjointed.

• Advanced Member
...and all of them after NEX :P

but seriously. with a bit of refinement 3dcoat's retopology tools will spank the pants off all the other tools. Especially if the baking and surface transfer has been given time to mature.

p.s. didn't much care for Topogun's workflow. the tools feel really disjointed.

Yeah, topogun has nice tools, but doesn't seem nearly as streamlined as NEX/quad draw. If I could get similar merging of functions into mouse/pen button and modifier key combos like nex rather than single purpose tools I think I'd be much happier with 3dcoat's tools. They work great for starters, but definitely need streamlining. The only tools I've used that allow complete resurfacing without having to drop or change tools are NEX and Zbrush. Zbrush's main advantage is that it lets you do your resurface right in the sculpt app. 3dcoat offers that now too - just missing the single tool/session workflow.