3DCoat Forums

The Trees, The Trees!

Rob

I know the 3D Coat Trees is a side product, but I'm hoping for more. What is the possibility of seeing more with this product and, if this does happen, what can we expect? Especially now, it would be a good time to understand the approach to trees. So many vendors are scrapping for their place in this area. However, I'd be fine with something simple with UVs and maybe a way to texture something like leaves and bark and / or fruit.

I'll be waiting to hear what might be possible.

It sounds like a joke, but it is serious smile.gif

In general I am making 3D-Coat whole time smile.gif But recently I have remembered that there are some hidden features smile.gif A year ago I have written trees generator. It can be activated by replacing one string in config.txt in current 3D-Coat installation (read there). But for convenience I have made separate installation in half of hour. It is there.

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees.exe

It is free to everyone who has purchaced 3D-Coat.

At least for some time (maybe it will cost something when I will make rich export functions and make it white&furry).

It is not very user-friendly, but anyway, easy enough. It is not 100% made, sometimes I will update it if you will like it.

Enjoy!

There is screenshot:

attachicon.giftree.jpg

*edit: I have updeted the link, now it has correct export functions.

- Export for games - exports leafs as a random planes. To use in game you should convert it to your own format and rendar billboards to look at camera

- export for render - contains 6x more random billboards

mtl file and textures are also exported.

In general it is serious app, there is many competetive options:

1) deleting invisible faces inside parent root

2) branches can grow not only directly under some angle like in SpeedTre but starts from tangent direction and follows with random angle in some direction

3) roots like a kind of branches

4) adaptive simplification of branches in dependence on curvature (not a simple equidistant sampling like it is usually done)

5) possibility to use multiple leafs types on the one tree (most of generators use single leaf clone).

5) generating LOD-s

@Bernardo - I think you can download it to find out. As I remember, it's separate from 3D Coat. And it's free! Free for now.

@Javis, yes I like it and see its benefit. It has Andrew all through it and I see potential.

wow this would be nice! But is it still inside 3d coat or it was just some year ago? Anyway I would warmly welcome such a feature! :)