3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Points and faces -- removing points

Pix Jigsaw

• Advanced Member

When I am in the retopo room and using the points and faces tool I often end up with blue points scattered here and there in the workspace. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't seem to get rid of them. Can someone explain how to delete them?

Answered my own question. Here is how you get rid of the points:

1. Move the cursor over the little blue sphere. It will turn white.

2. Press the delete key on your keyboard to delete the point.

Also, when the sphere is white, you can hold down the right mouse button and move the point's location around.

Note: sometimes it is hard to get the point to turn white. I found it helps to zoom in close to the point. If you are back too far it won't turn white.

Edited by Pix Jigsaw

• 2 months later...

Thanks! This had been making me nuts for some time now because I've been using undo to remove them, and if I happen to miss one and moved on, it sometimes caused a problem for me later down the line.

As far as I know (and I might be wrong) the instructions for removing the blue dots isn't in the manual--maybe it should be? It should at least be mentioned in the Retopo section or described in the hints for the Points / Faces tool. Just a thought.

G.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having a bit of an issue with the points/faces tool.

I know about hovering over them and removing them when they turn white. But somehow one has been created seemingly miles away from my object in my scene, and it will not ever turn white when hovering over it. I've tried shutting down 3dc and re-launching in the hopes that it would remove all points. But alas, it remains.

I cannot zoom in closer to this particular point, It's like its an infinite amount of space away.

I imagine it created itself on accident as I often do a lot of monitor switching, although I've learnt to never "left click" when focusing back on the 3dc window, I think this is probably where my issue has come from in some manner.

tl:dr:
Is there another way to just "remove all points"? That would be very good.

• Advanced Member

Yeah I ended up with the conclusion that there was only 2 ways around this.

Export my sculpt and retopo out, restart 3dc, and then bring them back in again in a new file.

Or clear the retopo layer I was working on.

I opted for exporting, fortunately this was a pretty simple scene, one sculpt layer, one retopo layer. Now I'm super paranoid about those blue dots, and orbit around my scene to check for them before saving.

• Reputable Contributor

When the tool is active, you can click the CLEAR button and it should remove all of them, but the problem is, 3D Coat doesn't clear just the points, but the mesh, itself. I've reported this to Andrew and asked him to have it work properly....clearing ONLY the points, when that tool is active. That's how it works when you are using the Strokes tool.

It's practically a bug, IMHO, but is more like an oversight on Andrew's part. Maybe e-mailing him and asking him to please restrict the CLEAR button to POINTS only, when the Points and Faces tool is active. Your case is a great example of why it's needed.

Now, in the interim, as a work around, you might try to create a blank layer (keep it selected) and hide any layers with a mesh on it > click on the Points and Faces tool > click CLEAR. That should clear the points and keep your meshes intact.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Points and faces -- removing points