3DCoat Forums

Do you usually get inspired or depressed by other artist's work?

• Advanced Member

Do you usually get inspired or depressed by other artist's work?

I gotta admit when I saw these on Pixo's gallery, it was the ladder.. So much talent and details.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?179420-Musketeer
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?1036030&p=1036030

This summer at work, we had to take a course on personal development so we could better interact with others,
learn the types of personallities and learn how to best to deal with them. In the process I learned that I was more of a 'big picture' type of personallity instead of a details oriented one.. In other words, I can 'learn' how to go into detail but it's not an innate skill. I have to make a concious effort.

The upside of this is I dont get overwhelemed by big projects, I see the big picture with a clear ending and I dont have to jot down a thousand steps to keep track of everything, I generalize. The down side is, when I see the above artwork, it completely floors me, I dont think I'd go in that much detail, I would of turned over the peice much earlier. Great for iterations, bad for spectacular peices.

My question is, do you think you're a more detail oriented personality or a more iterative/big picture personality? Does detailing come naturally to you or you have to push yourself?
Do you get inspired or discouraged by crazy talent?

btw, there's no right or wrong answers, just different ways of approaching a task  ;)

Edited by Nossgrr

<---- usually get depressed by other artist's work :(

how they get this unbelieved amount of detail ? :huh:

all the info here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?179773-Work-done-for-Siggraph-2013-Zbrush-Demo-)&p=1036400&viewfull=1#post1036400

is the software... is the hardware ?

im really blind trying to find an answer :wacko:

My Dream PC Build ^_^

Big_computer.jpg

• Advanced Member

For me the details are the hardest part to accomplish as well. I will work very hard getting proportions right and like you trying to see the overall final result. But once I do start the detail stage I become overwhelmed and mentally exhausted on a project. At that point I see no end to the piece, and slowly but surely I almost always end up losing interest in the project and it drifts away into the unfinished folder, and then onto the next project. I am trying to keep my projects simpler, but need those details to compete with other artists.

However I do believe that those artists have that special conviction to a project that allows them to finish. Having said that I think anyone can create great art like the ones that we admire, it's just a matter of how much energy we allow ourselves to put into it, and beating the art into submission. I'm still working on that one.

• Advanced Member

I try to get inspired, but it can at times be frustrating when you don't know how to bridge the gap between what you are doing and what they are doing.  Because you start to wonder if you can ever accomplish what they have been able to do.

I think finding a piece that you somehow get locked into, where you have enough interest in the subject that you can continue to put the hours in is where you'll find that you'll produce your best work. 

I find that I've often struggled with big picture and look for details more so, but more recently, I'm trying to zoom out so to speak and get a sense of the overall design. 

I've found that I'm more impressed when the overall design works really well.  Detail is great too, so long as it's subordinated to the overall design shapes.

I do think that details should come more towards the end after the big stuff has been worked out.  And I also think that detail is not required to create a successful design.

Check out the Wreck it Ralph thread on Zbrush Central.  Great examples of clean polished designs, where more thought was given to the overall design than high frequency details.

I think when we see peices with crazy amounts of detail everywhere, we get visually overwhelmed and don't even really know where to look.  This tells me that the peice is not organized visually.  It's best to have your details and high contrast areas in the place where you want the viewer to look.

Crazy amounts of detail everywhere equally doesn't really impress me as much as it used to.

• Advanced Member

To add to my post,

I've found it hard to integrate both (Micro view and Macro view)...it's almost like two completely different ways of thinking.  The more success I've had arranging the large shapes, the less I'm able to consider the details.  Now I almost never go into details.

I think focus on details lends itself to building things piece by piece and hoping it connects well together in the end, where as with the big picture way of working, you tend to like you said, gloss over the details, because your concern is more so with the primary forms and their relationships to each other.

Still trying to find out a best of both worlds approach.

I try to stay inspired, but it often is very difficult. I mean, looking at my work just a year ago I can tell I have made leaps and bounds. But a year ago, on the other end of that scope, any form of great realism just seemed so improbable. Now I am making baby steps.

I find I tend to get so detail-oriented I lose sight of the big picture. Sometimes, that's a terrible thing, and sometimes it's a good thing.

For example, when drawing, a lot of people sketch out the entire drawing very roughly using light lines and large shapes. I tend to do better when I start on one small detail (I tend to start with the eyes and draw outward) and perfect it before I go to the next step.

It does make it more frustrating sometimes, but to me, the immense amount of hard work I put into detail ultimately comes together as a cohesive work on its own.

• Contributor

For some artists such as yourself, a detail can provide an anchor (and perhaps an incentive to preserve refinement) around which the whole can be realized. It will be important to achieve good proportions and perspective.

• Advanced Member

Usually get inspired and be impressed by many posted works. 

Not from the above posted links though. Great craftsmanship it maybe. In most cases, far away from what art really means. 

A good example of great art IMO, and lot of details (which happen to be more difficult in this case) here

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?1033562&p=1033562&viewfull=1#post1033562

However, I'm interesting in more simple forms and fast direct doodling. A direct art where I sculpt or draw only what has some meaning to me, only what I can understand, to be able to measure it. 

• Advanced Member

intresting subjects

i agree Michalis here.i also learned somewhere that humans are simplifying info in order to memorise ,assimilate that info or experiences.

the 3d thing means both a great technologic leap and an artistic creative whatever choice.so its hard and lengthy slow process.but thinking and judging and estetical choose are fast  impulsive.generally and don't care about this much.individual POV will certain guive big picture.

my question then ,as I'm lazy to find by myself, is:what about Gestalt and the relation between parts and whole thing in such detail works without clear main lines contracts rhytms and so?

may be Nossgrr course on personalities would clarify more?

but...but... which texture and poly resolution are working ?!?  :blink:

so the big deal is hardware related ?  :huh:

i canT achieve this level of detail with any of my characters... *sigh*