3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Projection Painting And Mapping Types

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

A couple of questions:

Can I perform mapping like cylindrical and spherical mapping somehow in 3DCoat? Sometimes I want to paint something like a label on a bottle  and using projection paint manually can give uneven results.

I know it's possible to snap the orthographic view to 90 degree angles when projection painting, but is there a way to snap at smaller angles. Imagine painting the tread texture on a tire and you need to rotate the tire at something like 20 degree angle with each new projection. The arrows keys would be ideal for this but the only way I can seem to rotate my model is with using manual controls which isnt very accurate.

Any other projection painting tips I should know about?

Thanks

Putting radial features (like tire treads) on a tire are best accomplished with the "Axial" tool.  It's a little different than typical "Radial Symmetry" so use it as follows.

1)  Create tire "base" shape (Best to start with a new file, and if using a Primitive, default orientation).

2)  Create a second layer which contains a "positive" version of your tread pattern (that intersects the tire base shape). Set the number of duplicates with "Axial symmetry order" slider.

3)  Right-Click the "tread" layer and choose "Subtract from" (choosing the base layer).

Repeat as many times as you need radial features.

P.S.  I think you would have a terrible time trying to create tire treads in the Paint Room, alone.  I'm sure someone might still advise you in this matter, however.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

You can paint with cylindrical and spherical mapping. 

Choose your material (in your example the label).  You can add it to the materials menu by clicking the "new" icon.  Then select it.

post-21582-0-15308200-1375852864_thumb.j

The mask won't show as it does when you are in camera mode, but you will see a preview of it wrapped around your object when you move, scale and otherwise adjust the mask.  Also you see it when you press the setting button.

Also, to help you rotate more accurately, try setting the camera to rotate around world center or object bound box.  That will help make it easier to rotate, at least for a fairly symmetrical object.

Try turning on the 3D axis to help keep you oriented.  (The Axis checkbox under the View menu)

post-21582-0-52494600-1375854092_thumb.j

The mappings also work with masks in the Vox room.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Are the options in the Spherical Settings panel currently broken? I'm having a problem with changes made to the Pivot offset not sticking--the values keep reverting to 0. Changing any other parameters or options resets the Pivot position to 0 and simply closing the panel resets the position to 0. Here's more information about the problem:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15859&p=106265

I tried this on two different computers and got the same results. I'm thinking of regressing to an earlier version of 3DC but I'm not sure which version to fall back to. I'm currently running with 3DC version 4.0.16, Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

G.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw