3DCoat Forums

Suggestions for Workflow

Ambival

Hi everyone. I've only been using 3D Coat for the last year and a half or so and am loving V4 so far. However, there is something I am trying to figure out how to do workflow-wise and am hoping someone could offer a suggestion.

What I am trying to accomplish is: having multiple UV maps address the same face/vertex. I know that when I create a new UV map and move something two it, it disappears from the original and cannot be addressed until the new map is made active.

In a grander scheme, if this helps, is that I am attempting to import a LW object that uses tiled textures and use 3DC's UV unwrapping to create a nice map for Luminance/Shadow baking. Then in LW, I can create a surface layer that will use both the textures and lightmaps effectively with different UV values/textures.

I've tried:

1. Creating a new UV in 3DC based on unwrapped geometry, but this removes it from the texture layers' UVs.

2. Finding a way to import/export UV map values only between packages. It seems unlikely since the values are so tied to the vertices/model.

Can someone please offer an idea?

Thanks,

Roger

• Reputable Contributor

Please explain WHY...you would want to assign multiple UV maps to the same part of a mesh. It's making my brain hurt trying to figure this out. You can bake textures from the original to a copy of the mesh that has new UV's, but you can't assign multiple UV's to the same verts/faces. It's like trying to drive a vehicle with two steering wheels.

Maybe one of these two will help you find a solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPt3gNi6yE&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YCGyPJztG8&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=40

Actually you can have multiple UV's per vertex in LW and the reason I need it is this: I have several meshes that utilize tiled textures that reference a full 1024x1024 image. I want to overlay a shadow map/light contribution multiplier on it. This image obviously cannot be tiled and is of a lower effective resolution. If I were to do what you suggest, I would require a HUGE number of independent texture maps; and within the operating  constraints I'm running (an embedded system), this is untenable.

Thanks for the videos. I'll check them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

+1

Currently doing something similar in Cycles, tiled textures on multiple objects and would like to add additional AO and detail per object. It's possible but I would need to UV and paint first in 3DC then create the 2nd UV map, scaled for tiling, in Lightwave. Would be nice to do it all in 3DC.