3DCoat Forums

Overlapping UVs

Script

• Reputable Contributor

Did you use tiles in 3ds Max? I can't understand exactly what your problem is, but I am thinking you either have the UV's laid out in tiles/patches or using separate UV channels. That may have more to do with the obj file format option than it does with 3D Coat. If you have multiple UV's used on one object, laid out in tiles, then when you import into 3D Coat (even with Applink it should work), check Import UV tiles as UV sets in the import options panel, in 3D Coat.

UV Tile support:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4UsDbtiPg&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=57

You could just assign the different UV islands/clusters to different UV sets...like the head islands to it's own UV set, and keep the rest on another.

Multiple UV Sets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uzhr2Fbuw&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=51

• Reputable Contributor

Click the little drop list arrow in the upper-right hand portion of the Texture Editor (or in the UV Room, in the Upper left), where there is a drop list showing the different UV Sets you have. You should be able to click on the one you want, if there is more than one. If there is only one, it seems your OBJ is only showing one UV set.

You could test this by importing that same obj file back into Max and inspecting it for a similar error. What I would try to do is right-clicking each object in the Max Modifier stack and choosing to COLLAPSE the stack (do this for each mesh object). It will bake the UV maps into the mesh itself. Once done, select all your objects and send it to 3D Coat.

Once you have your object in the scene, you can go to the WINDOWS menu > Pop-ups >  Sub-Objects (will open the Objects panel). Do the same for OBJECT MATERIALS (Materials panel). Dock both somewhere in the UI, so they will remain there each time you open 3D Coat. The Materials panel (Should be renamed the UV/Surfaces panel...so it's not confused with the Materials pallet) will show the different UV maps you have in the scene. You can hide or lock them, so they can't be edited.

Give that a try. I think the having the UV Unwrap modifier in the stack instead of having the UV baked into the mesh is causing the issues. It does the same thing, sometimes if I have a TurboSmooth modifier on a mesh when exporting.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

Script,

Just a quick test on my end with your .obj file...it definitely looks like an export issue from 
3dsMax.

Below is the dialog I get on trying to import into 3DC (notice, no multiple UV map names at bottom
even though I've checked off 'tiles' box). Additionally, I quickly imported into Silo and can see you've

got 3 separate meshes, but all of the UVs are stacked within the 0-1 UV space.

import_dialog.jpg

character_silo.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, that is very strange. I tried it and you're right. It brings in multiple objects with their own UV's and slaps them all in the same UV map...not good. Never noticed that before, but Andrew definitely needs to be made aware of it. Since it's your model, would you report it on Mantis (3D Coat's online Bug and feature request Tracking utility)? It's good for all users to get used to doing so, instead of a few regulars, here, handling it every time.

Just go to www.3d.coat.com/mantis  ....then sign up an account if you haven't already. Once done you can click on the REPORT ISSUE link at the top of the page. It's pretty self-explanatory from there. What I often do is to send Andrew an e-mail as well, providing the link and either attach the problem/example file or let him know I just uploaded the file to their server from within the application (HELP > SEND FILE TO SUPPORT).

Seems like it's an issue on 3D Coat's side, as it imports back into 3ds Max just like it was exported...with multiple objects with their own unique UV map. 3D Coat is the one that is not separating the UV maps.