3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

• Contributor

Speaking of herbivores, a young horse bit my cousin's shoulder once. And it probably did it out of a simple curiosity. I guess she was lucky the foal was in a good mood that day and decided not to bite her head off instead. Scary. ;)

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Wow digman, that's starting to look great! I wish I was to that level haha

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The facial features are flat.... be bold and push them out more... keep the voxel or surface mode polygons low in count for easy adjusting. My scene is still just under 1 million polygons in surface mode. I still fight being too timid in my works as well, the curse of the empty white canvas...

• Like 1

• Contributor

The facial features are flat.... be bold and push them out more... keep the voxel or surface mode polygons low in count for easy adjusting. My scene is still just under 1 million polygons in surface mode. I still fight being too timid in my works as well, the curse of the empty white canvas...

What I would do, is define sharp edges, geometrical one even, to define a solid structure, then proceed to add deep cut in areas you want to draw the eye in. That would help a lot to give your char more personality.

Keep going, you're doing another kind of challenge here : time attack mode ! :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Only a couple of days left!

A few more painting things to do and pose him a little, and done. Essentially this is the final.

post-13655-0-58176600-1382305307_thumb.j

• Contributor

Timmy, Garagarape: Thanks! :)

A small update. The creature finally received its eyes.

Sculpture is almost complete. The only thing I want to do before texturing is to add some details to carapace, helmet and eggs on the back.

post-12523-0-03648300-1382316933_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Defining the head more but still more to do. I got a few ideas for the lower body. Cloak is still undefined...  Production day,  :moil: running to catch up to the pack... Run,Forest,Run...

post-518-0-87821700-1382369692_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

One last update for today... Lower body stuff added... Overall design almost done... Detailing of cloak plus belt and fixing up details on the body

Character is a Chieftain and the embodiment of their god...

post-518-0-74943800-1382400177_thumb.png

post-518-0-56330100-1382400957_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

FINAL

Can't wait to see these things textured guys, keep punchin it.

Enjoyed this project, it was fun, and I managed to find some bugs along the way. Just two more days.

post-13655-0-67344500-1382409750_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Whew, only a couple of days left... Put some texture on the creature to get an idea of where to go... more sculpting detailing as well...

Everyones aliens are looking great! :drinks:

post-518-0-72193800-1382457130_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Contributor

FINAL

Here's mine.

I added "emissive" lights on the luring tentacles in post process, I don't know if it's allowed(I still used photoshop for texturing with projection in external editor so technicaly I'm disqualified ^^), but well it doesn't make much sense without it and couldn't get the effect I want from 3dcoat itself.

It would probably benefit from a few more hours (didn't have time to put those in since the last stream) but  probably won't  have time in the next few days.

AlienChallengeFinal.png

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

What I really like about this work Beat is how well you captured the hard crustacean shell. I don't think you should be disqualified as you still are using a function of 3DCoat which is the use of an external editor invoked inside 3DCoat.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

FINAL

Here's mine.

I added "emissive" lights on the luring tentacles in post process, I don't know if it's allowed(I still used photoshop for texturing with projection in external editor so technicaly I'm disqualified ^^), but well it doesn't make much sense without it and couldn't get the effect I want from 3dcoat itself.

It would probably benefit from a few more hours (didn't have time to put those in since the last stream) but  probably won't  have time in the next few days.

You wont be disqualified, the goal of the contest was to get more aquainted with the painting in 3dcoat. So as long as it was all painted in Coat, there is nothing wrong with a little post effects in another editor for presentation sake. Nice work by the way.

• Reputable Contributor

Final

Creature....  A Chieftain of the BaRuer tribe who is also the embodiment of their god (Rueian)

I used the pose tool to turn is head and then touched up the sculpt...

TwistedBrush for the background and a Radiant filter... (allowed, I asked)

post-518-0-97160700-1382508931_thumb.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I hope not...

I thought we had until the 25th.

What do you say ebitz? 

Ha, your right, Sorry folks. Thanks marc. 25th guys. If youve already submitted, resubmit if you want to take advantage of the extra couple of days.

• Reputable Contributor

Ha, your right, Sorry folks. Thanks marc. 25th guys. If youve already submitted, resubmit if you want to take advantage of the extra couple of days.

Thanks, ebitz but I think I will let mine stand... I had my own challenge going to see what I could sculpt and paint in 5 days... The creature was 4 and a half days of work... A greater level of detail would have push me over the time limit anyway as I came late to the ball game.

Edited by digman

That's good news! Haven't started painting yet, and still some sculpting to do. He had dreadlocks, but I wasn't happy with them. Re-doing them now.

First texturing session.

Need to speed it up.

That's looking amazing as it is. Gorgeous detailing :blink:    

post-37926-0-85874900-1382563261_thumb.p

Edited by xenodile