3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

• Contributor

Also, according to the official rules, "The majority of painting must be done in 3DC, some Photoshop and other 2D painting tools is ok: Approximately a 80/20 split, in favour of 3DC."

So I think Beatkitano's use of Photoshop is fine. Ebitz, it's your call, but please don't disqualify Beatkitano! (I know you probably won't, but I just wanted to put a word in on his behalf just in case).

• Contributor

Thanks guys!

Xenodile! Your predator looks fantastic! The resemblance to the original is striking.

You need to tell this one-eyed ol' pirate that he should stop his habit of hitting shady taverns after each successful hunt, because otherwise he's going to run short of teeth very soon. Arr! :D

I had some trouble deciding what shader should I use for texture painting. The last image I posted uses a modified LambLight shader, but it gave me some strange results and huge colour inconsistency between the texture and the render, so I dropped it in favour of the Default white shader.

Here's the most recent render after a couple of hours of texturing, plus some post eyes glow - just to explore the idea from the concept art.

P. S. By the way, is it normal that switching between render room and other rooms takes up to 15 seconds? :unsure:

P. P. S.

Also, according to the official rules, "The majority of painting must be done in 3DC, some Photoshop and other 2D painting tools is ok: Approximately a 80/20 split, in favour of 3DC."

So I think Beatkitano's use of Photoshop is fine. Ebitz, it's your call, but please don't disqualify Beatkitano! (I know you probably won't, but I just wanted to put a word in on his behalf just in case).

Timmy, it's all right:

You wont be disqualified, the goal of the contest was to get more aquainted with the painting in 3dcoat. So as long as it was all painted in Coat, there is nothing wrong with a little post effects in another editor for presentation sake. Nice work by the way.

:)

post-12523-0-67304700-1382570648_thumb.j

Thanks for the kind words!

Ajz3d, work of art man, love the colour choices; as Beatkitano said, it really brings out all the gorgeous detailing.

You've managed to do so much as well in the time given :blink:

@Beatkitano

Never heard of Dachande; but I think my guy has a name now! I had a little narrative in my head for him which was similar to 'Broken Tooths'.

Never knew AVP had graphic novels. Might actually sculpt Machiko at some point!

This is how far I'd gotten last night. I need to wrap up the sculpting, not 100% happy with it, but its long past time to start painting. 

Any good tutorials on getting the completed sculpt into the paintroom? Just not sure of the proper/most efficient way to do this.  :unsure:

post-37926-0-36789700-1382634555_thumb.p

Edited by xenodile

• Reputable Contributor

@ xenodile

You can just switch to the paint room and use vertex painting. No uv maps or baking required. Your model will be automatically switch to surface mode if you are not there already. The higher surface polygon count the better quality vertex painting you get.  You are limited on time now before the deadline so it is not a bad option...

Make sure you do not paint anything on Layer "0".... You can not erase paint on layer "0" without screwing up the model's visual appearance.

As always back up your file before trying any suggestions...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Thanks for the kind words!

Never knew AVP had graphic novels.Might Might actually sculpt Machiko at some point!

I'd love to see that, that character was awesome, not that poor copycat Anderson tried to shove down our throat in th first AvP movie.

Very nice sculpt btw, it's a bummer you're lacking time I would love to see it pushed further after the context.

• Contributor

Good luck everyone! This thread contains some serious sculpting and texturing. And the variety of creatures is mind blowing!

Xenodile, that's one badass predator. Keep it going, because I can't way to see the textured version. Awesome!

I might be too late, but it was fun, and I'm better prepared for the next contest.

I'd love to see that, that character was awesome, not that poor copycat Anderson tried to shove down our throat in th first AvP movie.

Very nice sculpt btw, it's a bummer you're lacking time I would love to see it pushed further after the context. 

I try not to think about the AVP movies  :(

I think I'll come back to this when I've got a bit more experience with 3dcoat, but I would love to get it to the point where'd I'd be happy to rig it. 

Happy enough with it as my first serious go at sculpting and vertex painting.

FINAL  

post-37926-0-35797400-1382663766_thumb.p

Edited by xenodile
  • Like 1

Indeed, best of luck to all. I don't envy Ebitz having to chose a winner among the bunch!

Thanks Ajz3d, I would kill for your skills, and your speed. I'll finish the predator soon hopefully. 

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, the best to everyone... Each artist sculpted with his own style from sculpting the character to texturing... Great to see 3DCoat in action... 

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, the texture brought it up a lot, surface quality got a real boost, good work !

About the lag, that's something I complained about too... posted a bit of it in the feature request thread (at the end)

@Xenodile 

Dachande ? :) Good work !

I think an external (render) panel that can be docked on a second monitor would be the best way to go. And have it update live, with whatever changes/edits are made in the app. Don't think that would require major structural changes in the app architecture...just have it work as an external renderer, but linked live to the app itself. Would also be great if the Realtime renderer could be assigned to a 2nd graphics card

Great work on the entries. Nice concepts and it really helps demonstrate what can be done in 3D Coat. Ebitz, would it be possible to ask for a turntable of the winners and runner-ups, so we can put a "3DC Challenge" playlist on the 3DC Youtube channel...showing off those entries?

Edited by AbnRanger

Great work on the entries. Nice concepts and it really helps demonstrate what can be done in 3D Coat. Ebitz, would it be possible to ask for a turntable of the winners and runner-ups, so we can put a "3DC Challenge" playlist on the 3DC Youtube channel...showing off those entries?

Did you not just ask this yourself? Or are you asking it to be included in the challenge? You could always ask the folks for the scenes if they are too busy working, so you can render it our for the youtube channel.

• Reputable Contributor

Did you not just ask this yourself? Or are you asking it to be included in the challenge? You could always ask the folks for the scenes if they are too busy working, so you can render it our for the youtube channel.

I was asking whoever is overseeing the challenge (thought Ebitz was this time) about requesting a turntable (not just a still) from the winner and runner up

• Advanced Member

Just wanted to swing by and say well done to you all.

Once again, I didn't finish but I have created an interesting character which I will continue in another thread.

I don't envy your Job though Ebitz. There were so many good entries.

Some people progressed really well throughout the challenge and showed loads of awesome WIP shots.

I think BeatKitano has to be a front runner though. Such a well executed and detailed sculpt with more WIP than you can shake a stick (or E.T's abnormally long finger) at. 

The next challenge host just has to do a Halloween theme. Pretty please. I promise to finish this time. ;-)

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I think it is a choice between ajz3d and BeatKitano for the winner... My sculpt is really more of a concept as I came in late to the party and did everything in about 5 days... Again, good luck to all and  where are you, EBitz?

• Advanced Member

THE WINNER: BeatKitano

Congratulations to BeatKitano. I enjoyed the entries on this one and agree that it was a difficult decision between ajz3d and BeatKitano. Both pieces showed some excellent sculpting skills, details and texturing. But ultimately I felt that BeatKitano submitted a better presentation image which was part of the contest guidelines. Also the effect of translucent skin was a nice idea and great follow through. I have to give an honorable mention to ajz3d for his work as well.

Digman: I know you already made a post about your work, but I thought that the rendering and details(polishing) could have been pushed a little more. Also I thought that the background you chose was somewhat distracting from your actual concept itself.

xenodile: If this is your first attempt at sculpting and texturing in 3D Coat, then you are off to a great start. I thought that you had a great beginning on the detailing(skin) but stopped short. The same goes for the texturing. It just didnt seem complete.

Well, 2nd competition over. Congrats to BeatKitano once again, and all those that participated. I can't wait to see what's in store for the 3rd Competition. Maybe we'll see ya in the next one.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Tnx Ebitz and all contestants, it was a fun contest and I'm glad so many people got into it even if they didn't submit final images (and still would like to see more advanced stage outside of the contest, I'm thinking Xenodile, Ruth Spacecookie Andrews and Digman if he wasn't in such a hurry ^^).

Now, the problem is (and that's something I feared actually):what' the next brief, I've no frigging idea, if anyone has ideas don't hesitate, I suppose I should start a new contest soon but I thought about it a bit before and didn't think of something that could appeal to most of us and be doable in a 4weeks (or less) timeframe. I would've gone for halloween if it wasn't tomorrow (which will be a bit silly in a few weeks imo)

Help ? ;)

• Advanced Member

If its about Holidays, why not choose the next:  Christmas or Advent ;)

Some maybe say "oh thaaaaats boring", but wouldnt that be a good challenge for that very reason.

[edit]: What i mean, because on things/topics in which most people are familiar with, you cannot hide shortcomings.

Edited by chingchong