3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

WIP

Hi Everyone! Completely new to 3D Coat. Great piece of software and community to go with it. Only been doing 3D for a year, so expect questions!

Result of my first few hours with the software; I'll probably spend a few more hours later sculpting before I'll know if I want to further with this shape.  

post-37926-0-36322700-1380915070_thumb.p

• Contributor

Little update.

post-24378-0-47776400-1381009272_thumb.j

Anyway, i am stuck.

I want to sculp some some folds and wrinkles but i have no idea what i should do.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Malo

• Contributor

Looking good Malo.

I kinda like the clean look you got there, if you want to make your design more solid I would recommend you to add area of contrast;

I mean, intersection of shapes that need clear "edges", something to define what's recessing and what's rising from your face. Keep your overal shapes nice and clean, but add "harsher" point of interests (around the eyes, around the nose holes etc)

What I do is use "sharp" preset from Artman, do ridges and creases with it, and then pinch with removestretching off to tighten the shapes.

Right now everything is on the same level, it doesn't help the eye to get interested in what you think is the strong point of your sculpt (or what should it be). 

I didn't do a stream this week end, as I played a very addictive game called "rogue legacy" (highly recommend it if you wanna lose whole days of your life ;) ), but I plan to make an update tonight.

• Contributor

Thanks.

If i try it, i get something like this.

post-24378-0-40354500-1381179550_thumb.j

I am not happy with that.

I use the same tools as you mentoined, but as far as i see, i come always to an ugly result.

I do something wrong, but i have no idea how to get rid of it. Maybe i have a bad basic knowledge of the character sculpting.

Maybe i should stop here and try to get a good result in the paintroom.

Edited by Malo

• Contributor

Aaah, I get it. Something similar to mantis' forearms.

I can see now how this crevice might be mistaken for another pair of teeth. It's only on the front side of the pincers. I'll try to do something about it to correct its confusing appearance.

• Advanced Member

Changed things up as in new alien, other one wasn't really doin it for me.

BeatKitano- nice work and details, lookin good.

Awaiting progress of the others. Approaching 3rd week.

post-13655-0-27308300-1381637853_thumb.j

Going to go with a predator. I'll try making him look old, battle-scarred. There's a week left right? I tried a few other original ideas, but wasn't happy with them.

The details in the other entries are amazing. Thanks for the vids, they're really helping! And nice final work Malo, looking forward to more finished entries.

PredatorWIP.png