ebitz

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

180 posts in this topic

Timmy, Garagarape: Thanks! :)

A small update. The creature finally received its eyes.

Sculpture is almost complete. The only thing I want to do before texturing is to add some details to carapace, helmet and eggs on the back.

post-12523-0-03648300-1382316933_thumb.j

1 person likes this

Defining the head more but still more to do. I got a few ideas for the lower body. Cloak is still undefined...  Production day,  :moil: running to catch up to the pack... Run,Forest,Run...

post-518-0-87821700-1382369692_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

One last update for today... Lower body stuff added... Overall design almost done... Detailing of cloak plus belt and fixing up details on the body

Character is a Chieftain and the embodiment of their god...

post-518-0-74943800-1382400177_thumb.png

post-518-0-56330100-1382400957_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Looks great, Digman! :good:

I'm done for today too, with eggs' details being the only thing remaining before I start painting the guy.

I'm beginning to worry about the deadline.

post-12523-0-16411800-1382401384_thumb.j

FINAL

Can't wait to see these things textured guys, keep punchin it.

Enjoyed this project, it was fun, and I managed to find some bugs along the way. Just two more days.

post-13655-0-67344500-1382409750_thumb.j

1 person likes this

Looks great Ebitz!

Whew, only a couple of days left... Put some texture on the creature to get an idea of where to go... more sculpting detailing as well...

Everyones aliens are looking great! :drinks:

post-518-0-72193800-1382457130_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

FINAL

Here's mine.

I added "emissive" lights on the luring tentacles in post process, I don't know if it's allowed(I still used photoshop for texturing with projection in external editor so technicaly I'm disqualified ^^), but well it doesn't make much sense without it and couldn't get the effect I want from 3dcoat itself.

It would probably benefit from a few more hours (didn't have time to put those in since the last stream) but  probably won't  have time in the next few days.

AlienChallengeFinal.png

3 people like this

Cool model Beatkitano! I'm not sure I like the color choice (giant lobster), but you have done a nice job sculpting and painting it!

What I really like about this work Beat is how well you captured the hard crustacean shell. I don't think you should be disqualified as you still are using a function of 3DCoat which is the use of an external editor invoked inside 3DCoat.

Edited by digman

FINAL

Here's mine.

I added "emissive" lights on the luring tentacles in post process, I don't know if it's allowed(I still used photoshop for texturing with projection in external editor so technicaly I'm disqualified ^^), but well it doesn't make much sense without it and couldn't get the effect I want from 3dcoat itself.

It would probably benefit from a few more hours (didn't have time to put those in since the last stream) but  probably won't  have time in the next few days.

You wont be disqualified, the goal of the contest was to get more aquainted with the painting in 3dcoat. So as long as it was all painted in Coat, there is nothing wrong with a little post effects in another editor for presentation sake. Nice work by the way.

Then I'm, since I actually used photoshop to make projections and paint a bit too, only a little though.

But that's fine it was all for fun from the very beginning.

Final

Creature....  A Chieftain of the BaRuer tribe who is also the embodiment of their god (Rueian)

I used the pose tool to turn is head and then touched up the sculpt...

TwistedBrush for the background and a Radiant filter... (allowed, I asked)

post-518-0-97160700-1382508931_thumb.png

1 person likes this

Stunning entries; so much talent...

I'm going to be cutting it fine with mine. Is the cut-off midnight Wednesday?

I hope not...

I thought we had until the 25th.

What do you say ebitz? 

First texturing session.

Need to speed it up.

post-12523-0-95852000-1382528073_thumb.j

post-12523-0-90056900-1382528077_thumb.j

1 person likes this

I hope not...

I thought we had until the 25th.

What do you say ebitz? 

Ha, your right, Sorry folks. Thanks marc. 25th guys. If youve already submitted, resubmit if you want to take advantage of the extra couple of days.

Ha, your right, Sorry folks. Thanks marc. 25th guys. If youve already submitted, resubmit if you want to take advantage of the extra couple of days.

Thanks, ebitz but I think I will let mine stand... I had my own challenge going to see what I could sculpt and paint in 5 days... The creature was 4 and a half days of work... A greater level of detail would have push me over the time limit anyway as I came late to the ball game.

Edited by digman

That's good news! Haven't started painting yet, and still some sculpting to do. He had dreadlocks, but I wasn't happy with them. Re-doing them now.

First texturing session.

Need to speed it up.

That's looking amazing as it is. Gorgeous detailing :blink:    

post-37926-0-85874900-1382563261_thumb.p

Edited by xenodile

Yeah Ajz3d, that's amazing!

Also, according to the official rules, "The majority of painting must be done in 3DC, some Photoshop and other 2D painting tools is ok: Approximately a 80/20 split, in favour of 3DC."

So I think Beatkitano's use of Photoshop is fine. Ebitz, it's your call, but please don't disqualify Beatkitano! (I know you probably won't, but I just wanted to put a word in on his behalf just in case).

Thanks guys!

Xenodile! Your predator looks fantastic! The resemblance to the original is striking.

You need to tell this one-eyed ol' pirate that he should stop his habit of hitting shady taverns after each successful hunt, because otherwise he's going to run short of teeth very soon. Arr! :D

I had some trouble deciding what shader should I use for texture painting. The last image I posted uses a modified LambLight shader, but it gave me some strange results and huge colour inconsistency between the texture and the render, so I dropped it in favour of the Default white shader.

Here's the most recent render after a couple of hours of texturing, plus some post eyes glow - just to explore the idea from the concept art.

P. S. By the way, is it normal that switching between render room and other rooms takes up to 15 seconds? :unsure:

P. P. S.

Also, according to the official rules, "The majority of painting must be done in 3DC, some Photoshop and other 2D painting tools is ok: Approximately a 80/20 split, in favour of 3DC."

So I think Beatkitano's use of Photoshop is fine. Ebitz, it's your call, but please don't disqualify Beatkitano! (I know you probably won't, but I just wanted to put a word in on his behalf just in case).

Timmy, it's all right:

You wont be disqualified, the goal of the contest was to get more aquainted with the painting in 3dcoat. So as long as it was all painted in Coat, there is nothing wrong with a little post effects in another editor for presentation sake. Nice work by the way.

:)

post-12523-0-67304700-1382570648_thumb.j

:blink: !!!!! that looks REALLY good Ajz3d! :)

Yeah, the texture brought it up a lot, surface quality got a real boost, good work !

About the lag, that's something I complained about too... posted a bit of it in the feature request thread (at the end)

@Xenodile 

Dachande ? :) Good work !