• ajz3d
    • BeatKitano
    • carlosan
    • chingchong
    • ebitz

• Contributor

hahc_Banner.jpg

Contest Guidelines:

1. Sculpt your hero or heroine from imagination, sculpt an existing character from a concept you picked (you need to show it) or create an alternative version of an existing character (you must identify the original design though obviously for copyright reasons).
The character concept can come from any media (you're not limited to comic books whatsoever, it can be movies, books, video games, tv shows etc). 
The character can feature several accessories (external modeling of base mesh is ok but most of the work needs to be done in 3dcoat).
Your character must be created from scratch (generic base mesh allowed), no remix of old projects, show your WIPs often or you'll be disqualified.

2. Texture your character be it either after retopology (if you got the time) or vertex painting. 
The texturing must take place in 3dcoat though some editing in external software through 3dcoat projection system is allowed, as long as it remains reasonable.

3. Make a nice presentation shot as if you were giving it to a client for review, as if it was a concept. 
If you can, try to make your character fit in his environment giving hints about who he/she/it's, what's his life's story, but the model is the most important thing in the picture :)
A pose is optional, if you've got time go ahead, it's always nicer to see personality in a character :)

Use any Image editing software you would like for this portion. All your texturing though should be done in 3D Coat, some filters allowed (ie: sharpen, level adjustments, etc) as long as it doesn't drasticaly changes the look of your model . You'll be judged based on your WIPS.

4. Resolution of final is up to you. I recommend staying above 1k (Portrait). More points for close up/detail shots of interesting areas of your character in a separate picture (optional).

Deadline: Due to the consequent amount of work you've got till the first January to complete this challenge. 

Thats it. Think fast because if this contest is twice as long as the last one, it's still short for a complete character.

Also this time the community will pick the winner, a poll with the final submissions will be done after the deadline.

Ready, set, go. Good luck to everyone, and remember: have fun !

FRANÇAIS:

Règles:

1. Sculptez votre héro ou héroine de votre imagination, sculptez un personnage existant d'après une image que vous avez choisie (vous devez la/les montrer) ou créez une version alternative d'après un design existant (vous devez montrer l'original pour des raisons de copyright).
Le personnage peut venir de n'importe quel type de média ( vous n'êtes pas limité a la bande dessinée, celà peut être tiré d'un film, de livres, de jeux vidéo, de série télévisée etc). 
Le personnage peut avoir plusieurs accessoires (modelisation externe a 3dcoat de mesh générique autorisé, mais le plus gros du travail doit être fait dans 3dcoat).
Votre personnage doit être créé pour ce concours (pas de réutilisation de mesh générique précédement réalisé),  votre progression sera votre temoin, montrez vos progrès souvent sous peine d'être disqualifié.

2. Texturez votre personnage soit après retopologie (si vous en avez le temps) ou en mode vertex painting. 
Les textures doivent être réalisées dans 3dcoat, de l'edition en externe grace a l'outil de projection de 3dcoat est autorisé a condition qu'elle reste raisonnable.

3. Faites une belle présentation, comme si vous la donniez a un client pour avoir son avis.
Si vous le pouvez, essayez de faire tenir votre personnage dans son environnement en laissant des indices sur son histoire, son activité ou sa vie passée, mais le personnage est ce qui reste le plus important dans la présentation   :)
La pose du personnage est optionnelle, mais si vous en avez le temps, faites vous plaisir, il est toujours agréable d'avoir un peu d'expressivité sur un personnage   :)

Utilisez le logiciel de retouche de votre choix pour cette partie. Mais toutes vos textures doivent être issues de 3dcoat, seulement quelques filtres comme le sharpen, l'ajustement de niveaux etc, sont autorisés, a condition qu'ils ne changent pas radicalement le rendu de votre modele. A ces fins vous serez jugés sur votre progression passée.

4. La résolution finale est libre mais il est recommendé de rester au dessus de 1000pixels (en mode portrait). Plus de points pour des angles rapprochés sur les parties intéressantes de votre personnage dans une image supplémentaire (optionel toujours).

Date limite du concours: Etant donné le travail conséquent requis, vous avez jusqu'au premier Janvier 2014 pour envoyer votre image finale.

Voilà c'est tout. Soyez rapides, car si ce concours est deux fois plus long que le précédent, celà reste toujours court pour un personnage complêt.

Ah aussi: Cette fois la communautée choisira le gagnant a l'issue du concours, un sondage sera posté une fois que les images finales auront été envoyés.

Prêts ? C'est parti ! Bonne chance a tous, et rappellez vous: c'est aussi pour s'amuser  !

• Advanced Member

Hell Yeah!

I am re-doing Deaths Head II as mentioned in the last thread. He is a cool, cyborg killing machine from a long forgotten Marvel UK comic called OverKill (circa 1990's) which I used to read as a young teenager.

He kicked Wolverines ass once in an alternate reality which was decimated by a mega demon called Charnel...

Here's one I made back in 2008! 

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/4139-Comicon-Challenge-Marc-Wakefield-Deaths-Head-II?s=f4f84f3053ab50ff022bb3c18e6f32eb

This one will be infinitely better though.

Did I mention that he KICKED Wolverines ASS!? 

post-421-0-86365300-1383302382_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-76011200-1383302387_thumb.jpg

post-421-0-23381200-1383302392_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Since the Rules are set generously, i thought i will compare, sculpting a likeness and creating a hero.

Im not into Marvel-heros at all, so i took a more classical Hero--> "Hercules".

As it happens there are two movies planned to be released in the near Future, so i will mix up both as reference.

(1) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043726/

(2) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267297/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_5

I will took from (1) the actor kellan Lutz as likeness, because i found it inappropriate to take Dwayne Johnson as a greek hero :D

ste_hercules__th_10551611.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/456px-Kellan_Lutz.jpg

http://www.promicabana.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kellan-Lutz-Hercules-The-Legend-Begins.jpg

and from (2) the concept of the Graphic Novel from Radical Comic, on which the movie is based.

hercules_kok1_coverA-536x800.jpg

http://www.comiclist.com/media/blogs/lists/Hercules2_Marko_CoverA.jpg

and now here come my first attempt on the likeness, early stage... based on Generic Head of 3DC...

post-9328-0-30787000-1383417849_thumb.jp

@Beat Kitano: Is all allright, or is there a conflict with Rules? :D

Edited by chingchong

• Contributor

No problem, if the first rule was explained in shorter term= make a cool character and if you use copyrighted material as inspiration or source, state it, or better show it. That's all :)

Good start on that head btw and if you do justice to that cover that's gonna be sweet :)

• Contributor

Looks fine to me, I think I'll change one point in rules though, about the "several accessories needed" part.

While I would prefer people to get crafty with additional objects on their characters I don't want to exclude certain type of characters.

All that counts is making cool things, no matter how "simple" it is.

I'm rooting for this character, lots of independant pieces, hard surface stuff too, with a few tweaks in the design I think I could pull it off, but I will need to break my self imposed rule on symmetry from time to time I guess...

900183_press04-001.jpg

It's Machiko from the AVP novels, a human adopted by the Yautja (Predator race) as a Hunter after proving her talent by killing Xenomorphs.

Xenodile kinda brought the Predator vibe to my senses with his submission to the last challenge :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Some awesome ideas goin on, as for me a new character or this one. Been reading some Brom lately. He has a dark interesting take on the tale of santa clause and christmas.

post-13655-0-95586400-1383426637_thumb.j

It's Machiko from the AVP novels, a human adopted by the Yautja (Predator race) as a Hunter after proving her talent by killing Xenomorphs.

Xenodile kinda brought the Predator vibe to my senses with his submission to the last challenge :)

Excellent choice sir :)

I'm still throwing ideas around, kinda want to do something original but I'll see how it progresses. Some great ideas emerging from everyone. Great theme!

• Contributor

Started on the head, I got a driver crash while streaming I wonder if it's related to 3dc, first time it happened.

Head01.jpg

Anyway, here's the head, I may change it drastically during the sculpt (I often keep changing the head during a sculpt project tweaking proportions regarding body mass and all). I didn't want to do the dreadlocks just yet, I want to have a solid body bases before I lay down the dreads with proper contact.

The head will probably be one of the few things done with symmetry, it would take too much time to do it without it. Especially on a female face since symmetry is part of the appealing package. I plan to give her more life later on.

Off to a wicked start! Your approach with the dreadlocks makes sense, I went through 2 iterations of them with the predator because I did them too early. I get driver crashes when switching to the render room in windowed mode; but I have a low spec graphics card :(

• Contributor

I spent the afternoon on the body, still lots of stuff to correct and some not even done (the head is still not attached and in full symmetry, that's why the angleis weird), but I'm kinda happy with the way it feels.

I've the feeling I'll really enjoy this contest once I start adding accessories :) For now I've to ensure the pose and the body is the best I can pull without spending too much time.

Body01.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Beat Kitano:

like that

Are those rendered pictures, or screenshots?

Im wondering, how to get such shading (Skin-like) for my pics.

I already tried out your settings for the Hellboy, but results were not nearly as good as yours :D.

@carlosan:

I think it would be better, to create the Mask later on as a vox-layer, and concentrate more on the face anatomy. :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Beat Kitano:

like that

Are those rendered pictures, or screenshots?

Im wondering, how to get such shading (Skin-like) for my pics.

I already tried out your settings for the Hellboy, but results were not nearly as good as yours :D.

This is screenshots from the render room with realtime render activated. LambLight shader, and my settings for lighting. Nothing special, it's just about empirical tuning, like all my sculpt and everything I do in 3dcoat, and the reason why I like it: it's forgiving :)

That was fast Beat! You are a frickin' machine!

Looking awesome already. As it's community voting, you can win too can't you? 

I don't know about this, I think since this contest will last 2 months (and those contest were originaly one month gigs) it's fair to be out of the voting this time. I mean it's better if everyone gets a chance, and I'm already keeping "the crown" for one month more than others so... :)

• Contributor

Stanisław Kolicki, a fictional Polish secret agent (later: a major in LWP) performed by Stanisław Mikulski in "Stawka większa niż życie" ("More Than Life at Stake", "Stakes Larger Than Life" or "Playing for High Stakes") teleplays* (14 episodes in 1965) and TV-series** (18 episodes in 1967-68).

After the outbreak of World War 2 and the invasion of Poland, Kolicki escapes to Soviet Union from a German prison camp in Kościerzyna (Kaliningrad). He is soon arrested by Russian border guards and brought to military intelligence officers. They quickly realise that Kolicki bears incredible visual resemblance to a captured German officer named Hans Kloss.

Kolicki is given Kloss's identity and is sent to occupied Poland as an agent codenamed J-23, where he acts under the cover of an Abwehr lieutenant.

*  - Directed by: Andrzej Konic, Janusz Morgenstern (1 episode) and Barbara Borys-Damięcka (1 episode), screenplay by Andrzej Szypulski, Zbigniew Safjan.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stawka_większa_niż_życie_(teatr_telewizji)
** - Directed by: Janusz Morgenstern (9 episodes) and Andrzej Konic (9 episodes), screenplay by Andrzej Szypulski and Zbigniew Safjan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stawka_większa_niż_życie

---
Character reference images can be found here:
http://www.tvp.pl/seriale/archiwalne/stawka-wieksza-niz-zycie/galerie

A short video I dug out from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pffjk_x1Fuo

Source of the reference below: http://www.tvp.pl/seriale/archiwalne/stawka-wieksza-niz-zycie/galerie/hans-i-kobiety/5351188/irena-laczniczka-odpowiedzialna-za-obsluge-radiostacji-fot-tvp/5358524

The first 1.5 hours of head sculpting:

post-12523-0-80954400-1383579706_thumb.j

post-12523-0-65472100-1383579715_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1