Sculpt and texture your hero/heroine winner  

21 members have voted

1. 1. The best entry was done by:

• ajz3d
    • BeatKitano
    • carlosan
    • chingchong
    • ebitz

Some gorgeous work here again, I like the 2 month format. 

@Chingchong, I used voxels for the hair, probably add to it in surface mode if I have the time. I look forward to seeing a new pose!

Cheers for the link!

@Carlosan, looking good! Nice physique and detailing.

@Marc, cool character choice, and good start.  

@Beatkitano, love the gear she's wearing (the details on that alien head  :blink: ); and a gorgeous face and expression!

Pretty much done with the torso; especially since I'll probably be covering it all. Haven't decided on what she'll be wearing yet; but I have until I finish the arms.

post-37926-0-92092900-1384210285_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

@Beat Kitano:

I dont feel like you are spamming :D , i always look forward to your updates, almost missed your different progress steps, because of the editing ;).

You changed the face again, didnt you?

@Xenodile:

Ah ok that why it works for you, on my pc working voxels (in high res) is so sloooooooooow...

@ajz3d: Youre welcome, too bad there was no suitable pose for my project

Came up with a new pose, looks better for me, but looks static... enough for now, the posing is killing me...

..worked on some decor for scene ^^

All hardsurface stuff  is done in voxels with primitives and a little pose then changed to surface mode and sculpted a little bit.

All Elements in scene are unfinished of course

post-9328-0-62381900-1384211622_thumb.jp

• Contributor

A dilemma: to pose or not to pose before adding clothes...? :rolleyes: How far exactly can we take our projects beyond 3D Coat? Are posing and cloth simulations outside of it are acceptable as long as all the sculpting and texturing is done in 3D Coat?

Oh and one more thing guys. Any ideas on how to cover the whole surface in seamless texture? I'm thinking cloth texture for the uniform. I always painted this kind of stuff in UV texture editor, but never actually sculpted it in. Okay... I did it once on the Wolf Herring from my doodles - using seamless alpha overlays, but due to camera panning I got visible seams as a result.
Any tips will be very appreciated. :)

• Contributor

@Xenodile:

Tnx, still a LOT to do regarding accessories but it's good fun and I like where it's going so far. And yeah I tweaked the face a bit more, I wanted a more human look (she looked a bit too tough on the previous wip). It won't change much now though, I'm pretty happy with the general shapes and most of the work ahead is texture work to push it further.

I like your bust, you're tough going with voxel through all that, I prefer voxels on the initial stages too, but I hate it when it bites me in the ass later, I hope you're luckier :)

@Chingchong:

Tnx, I think I may do that from time to time: post, then update the screenshots during the time I spend on it. It's fun to see changes during the day I think, besides I didn't want to go with a stream at this stage, too much thing to fix which takes a lot of time, I may do some in the future though.

About your pose it's nice but two advices I can give you: spread your feet, feet too close from each other are basicaly a static pose, dynamism often imply off-balance or soon off-balance positions.

Also try to think about the pelvis, very important: think where do your character weight is distributed and adjust the pelvis accordingly. Hats to you for going with a sculpt pose still, it's hard and I understand the need to do something else for a while it can get quite tedious after a while :)

Good call on the scene elements, while not required it's still cool (I insist: I don't want anyone to feel obligated to provide such element if they can invest the time to further their character sculpt ^^).

@ajz3d:

I would say you can do some simulations, but the main work must be done in 3dcoat, in any case what will be judged by the community is the result, of course if you do 30% of the work in another software some will strongly react to it.

As always: be reasonable :)

As for sculpting cloth patterns I would go with alpha stamping, it may be tricky though. There's no 20 solutions either retopo>uv>uv projection, or full sculpt>alpha stamping/projection but you have to remember your texture is limited by your polycount and you'll need large amount of polys and regularity in the poly distribution to have good result.

• Like 1

• Contributor

No but my advice is to leave voxel as soon as possible to avoid mesh corruption when going to surface mode, the more complex the mesh, the riskier it gets. Also NEVER go back, if you do it's to fix a corruption and it's not even safe.

In 3dcoat it seems safer to push the enveloppe (surface), deform it and add polygons, than rebuild a new one from a volume, the routine seems much less reliable.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Chingchong:

Tnx, I think I may do that from time to time: post, then update the screenshots during the time I spend on it. It's fun to see changes during the day I think, besides I didn't want to go with a stream at this stage, too much thing to fix which takes a lot of time, I may do some in the future though.

About your pose it's nice but two advices I can give you: spread your feet, feet too close from each other are basicaly a static pose, dynamism often imply off-balance or soon off-balance positions.

Also try to think about the pelvis, very important: think where do your character weight is distributed and adjust the pelvis accordingly. Hats to you for going with a sculpt pose still, it's hard and I understand the need to do something else for a while it can get quite tedious after a while :)

Good call on the scene elements, while not required it's still cool (I insist: I don't want anyone to feel obligated to provide such element if they can invest the time to further their character sculpt ^^).

oh that pillar was an easy one,  1/2 hour or so.. would be cool to have the boolean possiblities in surface mode, too.

Thanx for pose advice, i tried a different one today considering your tipp, i think i will stay with it,

and change it only slightly (hands and arms, maybe some bending on upper body ).

post-9328-0-29742600-1384290568_thumb.jp

This time i ignored pose-tool completely for posing. Switched to voxels, cut my body in parts, transformed them and then merged to new pose, smoothed and then sculpted more muscles and mass,

edit:

post-9328-0-00325400-1384293513_thumb.jp

edit2: 

new update:

post-9328-0-65558200-1384295613_thumb.jp

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

@carlosan: like the body so far, but you can also adjust face proportions, nose is probably too big.

How about this reference: http://www.toydealer.de/xtcommerce/popup_image.php?pID=1974&imgID=3

little update on my own body proportions, former post had too short legs ^^ and other problems, now it looks a little bit better.

C&C welcome, if you see somewhere problems with proportions. ( elbow and hand needs some work)

post-9328-0-08520800-1384384248_thumb.jp

BTW: Do you also loose your edit-function on this forums when switching between different pc/mobiles?

• Contributor

Indeed! Happy birthday ChingChong! :drinks:

Beat, I reconsidered the subject and I will be doing all of the mentioned stuff in 3DC.

This week I had virtually no free time to work on the project, but I'm hoping to post some reports after weekend.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I have switched to surface mode but I am finding it a little unpredictable. I actually prefer working in voxels.

Is it possible to add new pieces (limbs / weapons) in surface mode without having to clean it up afterwards?

Its busting my melon and killing my mojo.

For some things surface seems faster but other things make me feel like I am fighting against it. I feel like I need to switch back to voxals but I am worried about killing the sculpt. Help! 

• Advanced Member

@ Carlosan and Ajz3d

Thank you guys for congratz

little update on the body-proportions and orientation, but a big one for me... im finally more or less pleased with the results now, only the hands left.

post-9328-0-44466600-1384558260_thumb.jp

But now  i will concentrate on accessoires, and cloths...

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

update:

first cloths and different hair and beard approach, worked also a little bit on right hand

post-9328-0-76188700-1384639689_thumb.jp

[edit:]

update 2

@ BeatKitano ( your next post):

Yeah, he looks a bit older, but i thought Herkules without a beard is not a real Herkules ^^ , but it is the same Face behind the beard as before.

post-9328-0-09563600-1384642118_thumb.jp

love your armor btw. :clapping:

Edited by chingchong

• Contributor

Looks nice Chingchong, much better proportions and more dynamic pose too. I liked the previous head better though, maybe it's the beard: less angular thus giving him more the look of wise man than a warrior like your reference image suggested. We'll see when you add back the lion head (with shadowing to see if the look is still menacing ^^)

I'm starting to lose steam on my character (mainly because I only have week-end to work on it), I need to refine a few things before going forward (If I get a "meh" feeling on sculpt on almost all parts I don't feel the need to go further).

I'm trying to keep the pace through streams but it's still too slow to my liking. Right pic is diffuse only, to get an idea of what is currently very wip and what is less ^^ :

Body04.jpgBody04DIF.jpg

[EDIT] Tnx for thar armor, it's hard to maintain symmetry with hard surface stuff, good luck to your armor too ^^

• Like 1

• Contributor

Not a fan of the face (skull looks fractured in some places) but the body is starting to look nice.

To pose best approach for me is to use pose with line mode select (not lasso, just pressure brush with line mode in pose tool), make large gradient to have a smoother transition, and then resculpt. Because unfortunately 3dcoat kinda suck to define a mask properly (lack of multiplier in the pose tool for high res mesh with the "smooth" function) and you can really define the areas that need hard transitions (like elbow) and softer (like inner elbow).

That's one of the reason I started a posed character, posing in 3dcoat is always a problem and you have to redo your sculpt around pretty much every articulation.

//OT

That's one of the reason I started a posed character, posing in 3dcoat is always a problem and you have to redo your sculpt around pretty much every articulation.

Suppose you worked a posed character for concept previz.

The model is aproved

And then you need to retopo the same model at T pose

To do detail paint and export it for animators...

... how do you do it ?

i found myself -with this project- in a point of no return... cant pose anything...

• Contributor

If I wanted to produce something other than a sculpt I would've gone with the T-Pose but that's not what the current contest is about.

Of course for yours, the only option if you still want to pose it with a rig, then retopo, rig, and pose.

Again posing is not REQUIRED in this contest, your choice. Going with a traditional workflow is surely easier but it takes much more time.

• Like 1

I just want to remind all the people watching the thread they can still hop in the wagon, there's still time: the contest end on the first January, so if you hesitate, do not do it much longer go ahead it's good fun :)

Hi BeatKitano, it would be with pleasure if only I could. I dont have the talent that all participants have here, my work will be ridiculous compare to all yours. I have look some of your video on twitch.tv, your work is just amazing.

Its only a few weeks now that I have bought 3D Coat, and I have some difficulties to use some Tools, my main concern, is the workflow to follow when beginning with a sculpt. Some good and complete tutorial is really missing.

I have some good 3D bases with Blender for non organic modeling, but when it comes to organic it is different and I am really bad at it.

Would be cool if one of you could take the time on a smaller project to make a tutorial with sound, that explain what you are doing and why you use this tool.

Any way, great master piece of work here from all of you.

Will may be try with Uncle Scrooge or Flagada Jones form DuckTales or paperinik, I love those comics ;)

Franck

• Contributor

I came up with this pose and probably will stick to it. Time to quickly stitch everything but the head up and redo the body for the second time. Luckily, 95% of it will be covered by clothes, so I'm expecting to blitz through this stage.

Oh... wait. There's still mouth cavity I have to take care of first before I break head symmetry.

post-12523-0-23949000-1384806117_thumb.j

post-12523-0-41658700-1384806123_thumb.j

Hi BeatKitano, it would be with pleasure if only I could. I dont have the talent that all participants have here, my work will be ridiculous compare to all yours. I have look some of your video on twitch.tv, your work is just amazing.

Its only a few weeks now that I have bought 3D Coat, and I have some difficulties to use some Tools, my main concern, is the workflow to follow when beginning with a sculpt. Some good and complete tutorial is really missing.

I have some good 3D bases with Blender for non organic modeling, but when it comes to organic it is different and I am really bad at it.

Would be cool if one of you could take the time on a smaller project to make a tutorial with sound, that explain what you are doing and why you use this tool.

Any way, great master piece of work here from all of you.

Will may be try with Uncle Scrooge or Flagada Jones form DuckTales or paperinik, I love those comics ;)

Franck

That would be cool. DuckTales is great. I haven't read/watched that stuff in forever. Give it a shot! :)

• Advanced Member

Hey Franck,

i can only encourage you to take part in this challenge, because you get here also professional help to speed up your progress.

For my part, I'm only an enthuasiast/ hobbiest, but learned a lot in sculpting 3DC from the guys here in last weeks, and during this competition.

This is a great way for learning the program or even sculpting along the way.

@ajz3d:

pose is looking good, fits well to a spy

[edit:]

a little update on face/ beard/ hair -hope hes not looking like a wise man this time :D.

some work on belts and cape

post-9328-0-12368500-1384817035_thumb.jp

Edited by chingchong

• Contributor

This was fun.

Completed medium detail body with head sewn to it. I see no point in doing feet so they will remain as they are, unless I change my mind. It's possible that I'll alter rotation of the head later, but that's after I'm done with a uniform.

And it's about damn time I picked up needle and a thread. :)

post-12523-0-91936700-1384967306_thumb.j