3DCoat Forums

Can I use 3DCoat on the same maschine (Dualboot) in linux and in win7?

• Advanced Member

Hello dear readers,

I have an simple question, I have only one license and one workingplace but with 2 two ssd's one I use for Windows and one for Linux (The first SSD was for me to small) so I have now 2 and now my question,

can I install 3d Coat on Linux too? So I dont need switch between systems so often with booting. Is this okay?

• Reputable Contributor

You will need to buy a Linux version also , it is inexpensive to get the additional version with license for current users of Windows 3DCoat Pro.

I have two versions, one for windows, the other for Linux...

I paid about 40 dollars for the Linux version a few years ago, it might be more now...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I don't know if licenses are locked to the os, I don't think so, if it's not locked you can do that. The current licensing system allows running 3dcoat on different computers only not at the same time.

no, sorry, I watched it on the buy-page, it isn't possible - or u must pay for this, for using with booth OS. Yes you're right :)

I thinks its also around 40$

Edited by Monkeybrain

• Reputable Contributor

no, sorry, I watched it on the buy-page, it isn't possible - or u must pay for this, for using with booth OS. Yes you're right :)

I thinks its also around 40$

Yeah...Andrew has to pay another programmer to port every new build to MAC/Linux. Thus the extra little cost for 2 OS's

• 1 year later...

Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I have a question regarding a Windows and a Linux license. If you own a Windows license and pay an additional $40 for a Linux license how will upgrading to Version 5 work? Will you be charged $99 (or however much an upgrade will be) for each license? Or will you have to upgrade 1 OS and pay $40 for an additional license. 

I'm most-likely making this more complex than it really is so any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Thank you..Almost  :)

I already have a linux and a windows pro license. I'm wondering how upgrading to V5  (when it's out) will work. It would be hard to imagine upgrading each for $99 when upgrading and getting a new os license was only $40. 

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you..Almost  :)

I already have a linux and a windows pro license. I'm wondering how upgrading to V5  (when it's out) will work. It would be hard to imagine upgrading each for $99 when upgrading and getting a new os license was only $40. 

I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think the upgrade will just be the one license, for $99, as the $40 fee is just to help with the development costs of having someone port each build to MAC/Linux. Probably just a one time deal. Best way to be sure is to shoot an e-mail to sales@3d-coat.com for clarification.