mifth

Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official)

100 posts in this topic

Doesn't work for me for Blender 2.78rc2. Sais something about bad exchange folder. The 3D coat app however exports to that directory just fine.

On 9/29/2016 at 11:17 AM, vladius said:

Doesn't work for me for Blender 2.78rc2. Sais something about bad exchange folder. The 3D coat app however exports to that directory just fine.

Set exchange path in the addon settings. Read the first page of the thread.

On 12.10.2016 at 4:57 PM, mifth said:

Set exchange path in the addon settings. Read the first page of the thread.

I did and tried different paths, actually.

I'm no longer using the AppLink mechanic. Just importing and exporting stuff through FBX.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:57 PM, vladius said:

I did and tried different paths, actually.

I'm no longer using the AppLink mechanic. Just importing and exporting stuff through FBX.

possibly you set relative path?

1 hour ago, mifth said:

possibly you set relative path?

I've set the root TMP directory.

I doubt it was relative.

Hello - 

I am interested in the plugin but the installation process is not clear. Why are two .py files required ? Installing simple_coat.py gets me the following addon descriptor, which lacks the input field for the exchange folder

2016-10-31 02_55_04-Blender User Preferences.png

There needs to be a readme file clearly stating the minimum, necessary steps for installation. What does  __init__.py does ? Will it change my user preferences ?

Also the name of the addon should be related to the name of the py. It is not logical to have to filter for "3d..." after installing an addon with a name starting with "simple". Either call them both with a name starting in "3DCoat", or both with a name starting with "simple" (with "3DCoat" being the obvious, logical choice).

Lastly, what is the difference between  "MifthTools" and the 3DCoat/Blender bridge ?

Thanks !

[Edit] Installing through the ini py gives the same result - still no input field.

Edited by pior

4 hours ago, pior said:

Hello - 

I am interested in the plugin but the installation process is not clear. Why are two .py files required ? Installing simple_coat.py gets me the following addon descriptor, which lacks the input field for the exchange folder

2016-10-31 02_55_04-Blender User Preferences.png

There needs to be a readme file clearly stating the minimum, necessary steps for installation. What does  __init__.py does ? Will it change my user preferences ?

Also the name of the addon should be related to the name of the py. It is not logical to have to filter for "3d..." after installing an addon with a name starting with "simple". Either call them both with a name starting in "3DCoat", or both with a name starting with "simple" (with "3DCoat" being the obvious, logical choice).

Lastly, what is the difference between  "MifthTools" and the 3DCoat/Blender bridge ?

Thanks !

[Edit] Installing through the ini py gives the same result - still no input field.

I noticed this, too, and thought I was missing a step somewhere.

My addon is a fork of the original applink. Read first page.

Original one is in blender by default.

4 hours ago, mifth said:

My addon is a fork of the original applink. Read first page.

Original one is in blender by default.

I am not even seeing the SIMPLE 3D Coat applink in the ADDONS section of the User Preferences Panel, in Blender 2.78....even after downloading the two py files and choosing INSTALL FROM FILE. Nothing happens. Tried everything I can think of.

....Can you install Blender 2.78 and see if it is still there for you?

....Nevermind. I never saw any instructions to copy the addon folder to the Blender install folder. That seemed to work.

Posted (edited)

Seems like it's not working with Blender 2.79:

Edit:

The export folder contains my cube FBX file and it's correctly displayed with Microsoft's 3D-Viewer.

Edited by Haunted
additional info

Hi,

Sorry for late response. It looks like you have incorrect folder.

Check it in your local folder. Something like" c:/User/Documents/3DCoatX/Exchange/"

3DCoat already has this folder. It created it for you during installation.

Selection_119.png

23 hours ago, mifth said:

Hi,

Sorry for late response. It looks like you have incorrect folder.

Check it in your local folder. Something like" c:/User/Documents/3DCoatX/Exchange/"

3DCoat already has this folder. It created it for you during installation.

Selection_119.png

Is there any way the Blender Applink could finally import texture maps into Blender, perhaps using the new Principle Shader? It was my understanding that Cycles materials setup made it difficult to do so, before. In the 3ds Max Applink, I can pre-select a render, such as Mental Ray/iRay and when sending the model from 3D Coat to Max, all the material nodes would be all setup to render in that render engine. Wish this could work in a similar fashion, inside Blender.

1 person likes this

You can try setting this folder.

Selection_144.png

1 person likes this

On 26/7/2017 at 7:17 AM, AbnRanger said:

Is there any way the Blender Applink could finally import texture maps into Blender, perhaps using the new Principle Shader? It was my understanding that Cycles materials setup made it difficult to do so, before. In the 3ds Max Applink, I can pre-select a render, such as Mental Ray/iRay and when sending the model from 3D Coat to Max, all the material nodes would be all setup to render in that render engine. Wish this could work in a similar fashion, inside Blender.

I've just been thinking the same thing. At least the principled shader makes everything much easier to set up.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:11 AM, Hammers said:

I've just been thinking the same thing. At least the principled shader makes everything much easier to set up.

Hi.

Sorry for late response. Why don't you like "Textures Path" folder? All textures will be exported into the folder you like.

Trying to get a Blender simple object mesh in and out of 3D-Coat using the Simple3DCoat addon has proven maddening. 

I'm using 2.79 and 4.8 but the object that is reimported after sculpting in 3D-Coat comes back in just the way it was exported.

I cannot find a video tutorial that's less than 5 years old and I'm not finding any documentation that details how to do this either.

Sorry, i can't get you. Do you need a guide how to use the addon?

Check the first post. All you need is just to find the Exchange folder of 3dcoat app. It should be in your documents i guess.

In linux the Exchange folder is located at "/home/user/3DCoat4/Exchange".

Dunno know where it is on win/mac.

Set this folder in the addon settings and use its power. )

In blender there will be "ex" tab in viewport panel.

In 3dcoat you will find "file -> bring mesh back" if you need to bring mesh back to blender.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

After an afternoon of wrestling with the Applink I have it working flawlessly. Sure would have been nice if there had been an up to date tutorial that looks at current builds and layouts. Thanks everyone who has tried helping me through these convulsions. Ugh. 

On 7/26/2017 at 3:12 AM, mifth said:

You can try setting this folder.

Selection_144.png

I am selecting that path (MyDocs/3DCoat 4.8/Exchange) and when I send an already textured model to Blender (not round trip....starting from 3D Coat > Blender) and click the IMPORT button in the Simple3DCoat Applink section, I get nothing (Blender 2.79).

This is very frustration as it could be a very nice workflow, now with the Principled Shader as the default for all materials coming from 3D Coat to Blender. Is there any way we can hook this up, to where a user can start from 3D Coat > FILE Menu > EXPORT TO > Blender (point to 3D Coat 4.8/Exchange folder) > Inside Blender click the IMPORT button, in the Simple3DCoat Applink section, and have all the materials set up with Principled Shader nodes w/appropriated images hooked into it properly?

This is pretty much how it is done in the 3ds Max Applink, and it's awesome to work with. 

Has anyone found a way, via one of the two Blender Applinks, to get the textures to accompany the mesh (from 3D Coat to Blender)? I have tried for years and still have never found a way to do it. I don't even know what the applink is good for if it cannot send maps with the mesh. It's just an import/export mesh button, otherwise.