3DCoat Forums

Some interesting texturing tools to consider

tiburbage

Not a feature request per se. Just thought people might find these things interesting, and who knows there may be some ideas which would fit well in a 3DC context.

Allegorithmic's Texture Painter, which implements what looks like a particle system approach to generating physics driven semi random texture effects...

http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-painter

Quixel's dDo and nDo are really interesting tools

dDo: http://quixel.se/ddo/

nDo: http://quixel.se/ndo/

These tools are basically Photoshop plugins so they can leverage the PS environment in general including layers etc, but also its selection and painting tools. nDo provides some really interesting normal map tools.

• Like 2

I'd been testing Substance vs dDo for a bit now.

I finally settled on Substance this week.

Their CSR team was great.  They were running a half of sale so I got Substance commercial for $290. 

As far as tools go, the noise for Substance was a little easier to control than dDo.  I had a really tough time getting dDo to generate the noise where I needed it to.

It was also a little limited as far as what type of noise, and where it could place it.  With Substance you could really generate the noise anywhere as long as you could figure out how to generate the mask.

On new technique I'm trying is baking a vertex map to serve as a curvature mask.

Other nice thing about Substance is it integrates into Unity, Modo, UDK, Max, and Maya as a straight texture.  No need to bake out a tga.  You can then adjust some of the noise you have inside modo within your 3D program.

Anyway not a Substance rep... I've just been doing the research and found some answers along the way.

Regarding Substance Painter:  From how it's looking it looks like between Designer and Painter, Substance is going to be a game changer in Texturing. 

Really looking forward to this release. The 3D painting space needs innovation so badly right now and Mari seems to be the only one trying at all.

The big problem is that Substance Painter doesn't support PSDs currently, which is a major problem (deal breaker even) for freelancers and outsource studios. They said it could be implemented, so hopefully that will be their for the launch else I think a lot of people will pass it over.

Edited by PolyHertz