3DCoat Forums

Paint Room - Insert Point on Spline

D.R. Greenlaw

Hi,

I've been working with the Spline tool in the Paint Room today and I want to insert a few points within an existing spline. On-screen help says "Use RMB to resize points, and to insert new points with an interpolated radius," but when I click on a segment of the spline using the RMB, a point is not created there. I also tried different modifer key combos but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

G.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I've been working with the Spline tool in the Paint Room today and I want to insert a few points within an existing spline. On-screen help says "Use RMB to resize points, and to insert new points with an interpolated radius," but when I click on a segment of the spline using the RMB, a point is not created there. I also tried different modifer key combos but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

G.

You LMB click on an open part of the spline, to create a new point. RMB + click + drag will scale the point

Thanks...that at least tells me how it should work. :)

I managed to get a new point to insert on one segment of the spline but for some reason, I can't get it to do this on other segments of the spline. At least it's working...sort of. Also I have to hold down Shift and Control--then I will see a green highlight on the spline where it will let me insert a point, but this isn't happening consistently. Very strange because using this key combo apparently isn't how it's supposed to work.

Will poke around this some more to see what I'm doing differently to make it work like you described.

G.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw

Okay, it seems to be working better now though it's still not fully right. I can insert points on some segments using LMB but not all segments. (Ignore the Shift Cntrl comment above--I think it was just a coincidence that it started working when I did this combo.) I'm not sure what's changed that's allowing me to do this much now--it just started happening. Strange that it's still being 'fussy' about which segments I can insert points in.

At the moment, I'm just using a default sphere to test this with and getting this result. In other words, I'm not doing anything 'fancy'. :)

Maybe it's a beta issue...will compare this on the other computer with the older build now.

G.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw

Yeah, confirmed. When I use the older build on a different computer, it works exactly as you describe. It's only acting weird with the beta here on my laptop. I'll do a few more tests to see if this is repeatable on other comptuers or if it only happens on my laptop.

G.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw

• Reputable Contributor

That tool is actually been supplanted by the relatively new "Spline Stroke" Draw mode. Try that instead. I'll test the Paint with Stroke tool with the latest build and see what's going on. Not surprised that something gets broke when Andrew works on core elements in a specific room (Paint Layer Groups, recently). Seems to happen once in while

• Reputable Contributor

I forgot to link to the video which covers Spline Stroke the most in-depth:

It's being used in the Voxel Room in the video, but it works the same way in the Paint Room. "Strips" were used (single stitch) in the video to replicate the stitching. You can use just a brush alpha and adjust the spacing in the Brush Options panel, but I find Strips works right straight away.

Thanks for the video. I will watch it as soon as I finish posting this message.

I was just dropping in to thank you for the suggestion because I tried the Spline Stroke tool on my character this morning and it seems to do exactly what I need. In fact, it's working much better than the Spline tool does, at least in this situation. :)

G.