3DCoat Forums

Wacom Cintiq and 3dCoat.

Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

Hey hey,

I found an earlier thread regarding Cintiq Companions and an odd issue with panning that someone managed to get around by using Alt+LMB+RMB... which wouldn't work for me in the slightest with how I've always set-up my stylus.

But I was wondering if anyone here has used or is using 3d coat with a Cintiq? I'm pretty close to buying the 13HD version as a birthday gift to myself, but the main use I have for it would be sculpting so I really need to be 100% sure it's worth the purchase. I dabble in 2d and I'm sure it would help a lot in that area, but 3d is by far my main priority.

Can anyone lend me their thoughts on the matter?

Edit

Oh, probably worth mentioning, I do use a Wacom Intuos tablet, have done for years... so the Cintiq certainly wouldn't be my first time with a Wacom product.

Edited by Gary Dave

hello,

I just assign "Middle mouse click" to one of the keys on the pen. When holding down this key (hover above free space), you can pan just fine.

After a while (and some crashes) I noticed this was not functioning any more - guess the wacom driver crashed, also.

Just remember to press Alt+RMB (when zoomed in so close, so that you can not see some free space anymore), to zoom out again.

Cheers

• Advanced Member

You know that you can store app-specific settings for Wacom devices, right? Therefore you can use any config in 3DC without losing   what you're used to in other apps. I find the LMB/RMB Combo most powerful in 3DC, AS it gives you the context menus too. Causes no issues with my Cintiq.

• Contributor

Intuos>>>>>>Cintiq.

That's all.

Everyone wants to have the "pro" model, with the big screen, cause OBVIOUSLY it helps the creative process.

The fact is: it's pricy and doesn't add more than it takes off... including lifespan of the hardware.

Really it's just like a sport car: everyone have wild dreams about it, and if one day you have the money: it's super costly and you always need to bring it back to the garage for maintenance and constant tunning.

Don't go with the advertised toy and go for the reliable tool.

• Advanced Member

@Onkelpoe - Yeah I've got middle mouse button assigned as one of my pen clicks. The crashes don't sound very good, are you saying 3d coat caused the crashes, or your wacom drivers died on their own?

@polyxo - I know about it, yeah. But I personally don't like switching up the behaviour of my Wacom in different programs, maybe it's just my memory failing but I just find it simpler to keep things consistent across the board.

@BeatKitano - Interesting, what do you mean by the lifespan of the hardware though? Just that a newer version will be out too soon? Or it will break in a year? I think your analogy of the sports car is a little off, but I understand what you're saying.

hey Gary,

I think it´s the Wacom Drivers, who crashing from time to time, when switching between displays back´n´forth, tweak settings and clicking like crazy sometimes.

After some crashes (3DC crashes), the "middle mouse click" button on the pen did not work anymore... as I checked, I could not open the tablet/pen setting either...

So it´s hard to say. In general I would say it´s not 3DC crashng my 13HD Wacom...

hope that helps!

Edited by Onkelpoe

• Contributor

I mean on the 30 something 24hd we bought at work (like John would say "spared no expense !") 10 didn't go to aftersales... the others... multiple times and that's under 2 years time (legal warranty limit here in France)

Wacom have been making flimsy products those last few years and their more reliable series are in the intuos brand, absolutely not in the cintiq one.

Wacom used to make intuos tablet that lasted almost a decade, good luck finding any model that last that long past Gen 4... and don't even look at those numbers on the cintiq side.

That is for longevity.

Now: cintiq aren't anything special compared to intuos. They're actually a step backward. You have to curve yourself over the screen to see your drawing point "under" your hand, otherwise the offset from the protective layer of the screen makes you miss your strokes...

You can solve that with a stand (or the integrated one), but now you've another problem: your arm up: ALL THE TIME. That's terrible for your shoulders.

The screen is heating, in summer it's not confortable at all, you get sweaty under the palm...

If you're using multidisplay: you need to push a button to switch between cintiq/other screen with the stylus, and if you decide to use the pan-display mode like the intuos: you get "unreachable" areas on your cintiq screen, literraly dead zones... very annoying.

There's tons to be said about those. I guess you'll find out yourself, most of those considering buying a cintiq actually BELIEVE they'll be a better investment than intuos, until they find the hard way...

If you followed the Zbrush summit on the internet the other day, even though wacom was a partner you'd have heard Grassetti say it: "it's no better, I actually prefer a intuos, the only thing cintiq have for them is "they make you look more serious/pro"

You should reconsider... cause money is not a problem here and I would trade a cintiq anyday for an intuos.

• Advanced Member

@polyxo - I know about it, yeah. But I personally don't like switching up the behaviour of my Wacom in different programs, maybe it's just my memory failing but I just find it simpler to keep things consistent across the board.

How would you want your stylus to work then? Regardless how you set it up, you will have to press the Alt key for at least some camera actions when the
object fills the screen entirely. Unless you prefer using the Navi-Zone around the viewport or or using the Navigation Icons at the top right margin of the vp.

• Advanced Member

Cheers Tony, I had a quick look at it. My experience with anything non-Wacom is pretty bad though, I've been burned a few times in the past trying to go with cheaper options. That said, the price for the Yiynova is only about £30 cheaper than the Cintiq I'm after, and £30 out of £600+ isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

I'm probably going to hold off on the purchase of a screen-tablet for now, I'll have to find something else as a birthday present!

• Contributor

Cheers Tony, I had a quick look at it. My experience with anything non-Wacom is pretty bad though, I've been burned a few times in the past trying to go with cheaper options. That said, the price for the Yiynova is only about £30 cheaper than the Cintiq I'm after, and £30 out of £600+ isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

I'm probably going to hold off on the purchase of a screen-tablet for now, I'll have to find something else as a birthday present!

Advice, read what this guy says, cause he knows his stuff.

http://frenden.com/

• Advanced Member

Cheers for that BeatKitano, a lot of good information there but I came away feeling pretty confused. He talks about the Cintiq Companion being his "all in one studio" and his main workhorse, but in other posts (not dated so I can't tell what's new or old) he talks about the yiynova being a better choice. The one thing that was clear was his distaste for the 13HD, but I got in touch with him last night and he had this to say:

I've softened a bit on the 13HD since that review. The screen is gorgeous. Drawing is a bit laggier than a Yiynova, but smoother. 

The biggest complaint I have with the 13HD is the stand and the lack of VESA mounts. It makes sense in the Companion, but on the 13HD just feels like a weird oversight.

So now I'm back to being all confused. I might just save for another month or two and go with the Companion. I think it pretty much has to be Wacom whatever route I go purely because of the resolution, I can't work in 3dc or Photoshop at anything less than 1920*1080 anymore. Screen size aside, the resolution makes the biggest difference.

• Contributor

So you want to use a mobility device for desktop work ?

Imo it's bad choice. If you have mobility in mind I need to ask a few question:

Do you do "on the road" work ? If so, how often ?

And when that happen, do you have a support (table or something like that) ?

Cause those two question are what you should ask yourself:

1)If not often you'll end up using it for desktop work mainly and 13 inches is VERRRY small... in fact I'm betting that you will finally use it as an intuos, looking at your desktop screen...

2)if you have a table you can have a regular tablet and work the same, without the glaring issues of the screen (I saw huion thought about matte screen protector,  GOOD POINT). And you already do "mobile work" you're doing it on a laptop so you already have everything you need (keyboard/screen) only the tablet side is missing, the cintiq is not really useful in that case.

To answer about your confusion: you're touching the limit of those advices: ultimately you need to get in touch with one those devices to see if it fits your needs... and since you won't be able to testdrive a cintiq enough time to get a advised decision you'll probably end up buying a cintiq, crossing your fingers.

But I tell you: a 13hd for desktop work is NOT gonna cut it, if you don't go mobile it's really a waste of money.

The only cintiq that have a reason to exist (in my eyes) are the mobile ones but that's only if you're really mobile, cause otherwise the screen is not useful (in the sense: it doesn't add anything) and you're better off with an intuos.

• Advanced Member

Good points, I'll still have my intuos regardless, as I won't be selling it.

As for mobility, yes I work from home but I do have to commute into the studio once every few weeks. For the past few months I haven't been able to do much in office though, I mostly go there for a few hours to talk to the other guys, do typical meetings and occasionally jump on someone else's machine (which I hate doing) if there's work that needs to be done quickly. But you're absolutely right, the bulk of my work will be done at home, probably on this very same desk. I do like the thought of getting a days sculpting or texturing done while sat on the sofa or out in the garden though.

And yeah, there's no availability for me to test one before purchasing, so you're right there too... I will likely end up buying the companion and crossing my fingers. Worst case scenario though, I can return it within 30 days to get a full refund.

I thank you for your advice,

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Hi, i need help with this question

Wacom Cintiq 13".

Any1 know of settings which optimize the pen? 

For example, what is the pen version of zoom? 

Thanks.

Wacom Tablet Properties will be installed along with the driver.  From there you can set up the pen. The most common config I have seen is to have the top side button as right click, and the bottom side button as middle click. This will let you alt + top side button for zoom.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am a Architect, I uses 3D software on a day to day basis .

I Use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen . because I already have a working PC, I only need graphic tablet monitor . 
It prices in at $439 with a neat, optional adjustable stand. I just ordered one. Worth mentioning is that the resolution is 1920 x 1080, and features of 88% NTSC Color Gamput . no parallax .

the battery-free stylus has the 8000 levels of pressure sensitivity and support 60 degrees of pen tilt . Works beautifully, no lag when drawing .