3DCoat Forums

does 3d coat have the brushes i used in zbrush?

Flippers

I'm planning on using 3d coat for work starting this week. i'm getting the hang of voxels but i really need to know if 3d coat has these zbrush equivalent brushes? can someone please tell me if these brushes exist in coat can someone tell me what the brush would be?

i mostly use these 3 or 4 brushes constantly in zbrush. someone please tell me they exist in coat. maybe some are surface only brushes? ive only messed with voxels so far. 

trim dynamic brush?

clay tubes brush?

polish and polishHard?

i use

trim dynamic = flatten (dont lift, p. softness 0, N.Smapling 200)

trim dynamic = flatten clay (normal sampling 200%, buildup, regular smoothing 0, flatten curve default)

clay tubes = rapid / rapid2 (build up on)

polish = smoother

• Contributor

Hmm I wouldn't follow those settings. Not because I don't trust Carlosan's words, but because there's a parameter more important than all of those and it can't be words: the depth curve.

Basicaly the depth curve with a low depth and rapid2 can become either a regular flatten, or a trim dynamic (normal treshold before changing flattening plane), which is not it's intended use at all  :). This shows you how much tweaking you can do to have the tools you want.

Short answer: you've got something very similar for each of those brushes, but not out of the box, at least not of the default 3dcoat tools. Artman's presets (available in a fresh install in preset panel) are the most versatile toolset you can have right now.

I suggest you install the recent beta builds (last one seems very reliable sculpting-wise) and fine tune his presets to your liking (but they're pretty much spot on from the get go, you only have to touch certain value to change their effectiveness depending on the way you like to work, meaning: harder or more "controled"/finer)

• Contributor

actually the depth curve is not that important its really the flatten curve that allow trimming and polishing effects...

also not to negate what Carlosan said but just to avoid misleading you ; "smoother" tool is nothing like the polish brushes...actually its not even a brush...

In Zb I used mostly Polish D brush (hidden in polish folder) and Clay brush,so my presets reflect what I like/use in my workflow so you might need to tweak em (but its not so easy..i dont recommend playing with depth as it wont affect the flattening the same way boosting depth in ZB might,its really all about the flatten curve(at least for those 2 brushes)  ...

.there is a polish brush in my presets and a Trim  preset ,the one in the actual build is little harder than Trim Dynamic so I made a new one recently that you'll maybe like

Trim2.3dcpack:

(you load it through File-Install extension and its gonna appear in preset tab.)

• Contributor

Your Trim brush is my fave Artman! I will try trim 2 if I can figure out how to install it.( yup I know its prob easy,but Im cursed when installing stuff......)

installing extension files is as easy as loading a file...everything is inside the file you dont need to load any alphas or curves ect..

• Reputable Contributor

Artman, would it be possible for you to rename the brush presets that you designed to be equivalent to the most common ones in ZBrush? Maybe a ZB prefix + name used in ZB, so those users can quickly find the brushes they are used to working with? I think it would be an immense aid for those users. Thanks. :good:

• Contributor

Artman, would it be possible for you to rename the brush presets that you designed to be equivalent to the most common ones in ZBrush? Maybe a ZB prefix + name used in ZB, so those users can quickly find the brushes they are used to working with? I think it would be an immense aid for those users. Thanks. :good:

well I would not go that far....I dont want to look like I blatantly tried to emulate Zb brushes (actually some are more influenced by MB )

I understand your intention you just want new users to find their way around quickly...

but I think Polish is clear enough its gonna be a polish brush...same with Trim...and Im never gonna change sharp to damstandard as 1)its been coined by Damien Canderle 2)it does not work the same anyway...

The main issue with presets  imo is accessibility/visibility...that they are in the "background" of the app while in Zbrush the presets are the main toolsets and the basic brushes are more in the background. Im not gonna harass Andrew about that as anyway, some older 3DC users who dont really care about my presets might not like them to be in the fore front of the toolset....

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

That's one of the problems though, the desire to not emulate or copy zbrush brushes when thats the very thing some people need.

A lot of people want the exact same brushes, in the same way one would want the same brush (with its dynamics in place) they use in photoshop to be present in say something like Mari, or GIMP/Krita. Zbrush is at the top of its game as far as sculpting goes, to achieve even the basic brushes and their behavior thats found in Zbrush is something I would consider an accomplishment.

• Advanced Member

With the understanding that ZBrush brushes have become for ZBrush users a consensual conceptual task orientated metaphor for expectant behavior then providing the new user with such a folder of brushes is a good idea at the very least to get them up and running in surface mode sculpting.

The only issue with expectant awareness is that at some point it becomes similar to dressing a new romantic partner in your old partner's cloths.

The finesse with 3DCoat in Surface mode comes with multiple resolution sculpting. Tweaking brushes to perform in this environment holds the key at which point comparison between applications falls away. Although similar in some ways a different conceptual penny has to drop when using 3DCoat before you start to fly with regard the brushes.

After the initial honeymoon the main cross application relationship dilemma is this: when attempting foreplay with Pose you may find yourself hankering for Transpose. Whilst 3DC's Pose is a great utility for Homo caelestis; it isn't quite so for the average Homo sapien particularly with regard to character design  .

My personal observation as a user of both applications is that the finesse of sculpted work created in both applications is tangible less by 'surface' but more so by curve ,attitude, pose , design/ scale relationships, and sense of weight.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Sorry für die späte Antwort. Mein Router ist im Arsch. Konnte nichtmal Online gehen am WE.

Also das artman penpack hat dich nicht zu interessieren. Das ist sozusagen nur ein Zubehör für die Presets.

Die Presets müssten alle da sein wenn Du 3d coat komplett neu installiert hast ab V4.05 und höher.

Einfach mal in deine Preset List reinschauen.

Kann Dir leider keine Bilder oder ähnliches Zeigen da ich die Presets gelöscht bzw umbenannt habe.

Soviel ich noch weiß, heißen die auch nicht Trimm oder ZBrush ähnlich, die haben ihren eigenen Namen.

Oh ha, was ein Mist...

Hmmm, also ich hab einige pen-packs und 3dcpacks installiert...

Dazu 4.5 beta "frisch" - also kann ich einfach unter den presets nachsehen - wenn ich wüsste, wie die brushes (trimDynamic, DamStandard und Poilish)

heißen sollen^^

Na, ich werd´s schon finden, danke dir!