3DCoat Forums

Haptic devices

Andrew Shpagin

Hi Andrew,

that is incredible for just around 170 bucks!

Where did you get/ordered it from?

I would like to buy one, too.

But it´s only available in the US & Canada,,, with international shipping + German VAT it´s getting to expensive.

Did you find a shop in the EU?

If you implement it in 3D-Coat, it would be a really huge step in sculpting.

If I could use it in combination with my SpaceNavigator, I would feel like a BORG in StarTrek! :P

I would than be assimilated by 3D-Coat! B)

Greetings,

Can

Hi Andrew,

that is incredible for just around 170 bucks!

Where did you get/ordered it from?

I would like to buy one, too.

But it´s only available in the US & Canada,,, with international shipping + German VAT it´s getting to expensive.

Did you find a shop in the EU?

If you implement it in 3D-Coat, it would be a really huge step in sculpting.

If I could use it in combination with my SpaceNavigator, I would feel like a BORG in StarTrek! :P

I would than be assimilated by 3D-Coat! B)

Greetings,

Can

Oh, it was too expensive to me... almost 2X. I ordered it from Sweden via DHL. It was delivered in 1 month or even more. I really don't like the way how I have got it.

It is easy to get it in USA or EU. They have office in Sweden.

Where are you?

Andrew,

thank you for the link.

To bad,,, only via Credit Card and I have closed my Visa.

I just use PayPal.

May be I order it from US, but it´s sold out at the moment.

I´ll have to check back later.

Greetings,

Can

• Advanced Member
Do you use any haptic device?

I have bought Novint Falcon recently. I will implement it in VS, but not very soon, need to make core functions first.

thanks for telling about this!! i never seen it before. And its really cheap 281 USD..i may buy one in the future for games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello Andrew,

adding support for this low cost haptic device would be just awesome! I would certainly buy one as soon as you made this work inside of 3DCoat.

Just out of curiosity: Would the Novint device only give feedback on sculpting operations or do you plan on hooking it up for texture painting as well?

Will we be able to feel viscosity of paint? :lol:

Holger

Any one use OCZ’s Neural Impulse Actuator? :rolleyes:

I thought of this question yesterday or the day before when I saw a show on Discovery Channel called Prototype This! where they used the similar Emotiv device in a prototype car that would switch to neutral when you get angry.

http://www.emotiv.com/

• 2 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I was just thinking about this topic recently when I saw the video on Tomshardware.com, where the Novint Falcon was being demonstrated. If I were in your shoes, Andrew, I would SERIOUSY consider working with the developers of this device in order to make it, along with 3DC, (still think using the acronym/nickname for 3D Coat- 3DC -is better to use for marketing purposes) THE defacto standard tool in the industry...making ZBrush suddenly look "Old School." Everything you're doing development-wise is very forward thinking and innovative. The same thing that helped Zbrush go from an obscure product to an industry standard in just a few years time.

You also could contact the folks at the History Channel ( http://www.history.com/minisites/modernmarvels ), and see if they'd be interested in interviewing you for a demonstration for one of their future segments of Modern Tech or Mordern Marvels (they love this kind of stuff...makes for very interesting viewing. It's my favorite TV channel period)....cause when you pair 3DC with a Novint Falcon (custom software for sculpting feedback) and a 3DConnexion Space Explorer (http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spaceexplorer.php) , that to me....is a Modern Marvel. Being able to duplicate the realworld feel of hand sculpting, with all the paint tools as well, and at a price STILL cheaper than a single license of ZBrush or Mudbox...could take this portion of the industry to another level. ClayTools has been available for some time, but it's way too pricy to be relevant.

If you get this up and running, I would also be inclined to have a photo (of an artist working in 3DC) of it being used with one hand and a Space Explorer in the other, within the changing images on your mainpage. This is one of your strongest selling points...something that clearly distinguishes you from your competition. Work It!

Maybe arrange a package deal (3DC v3 + Falcon and Space Explorer for $550-$600) and see if they'd list the deal on their site as well, exploiting the fact that it's even cheaper than a seat of ZBrush or MudBox! You'd definitiely have the "Coolness Factor" working in your favor if you work it out to where they can attach a pivoting stylus to it.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I am thinking of upgrading my input devices. While I am very curious on haptic devices like the Novint Falcon I'm not sure when

it will actually be supported by 3DC. Also - from what I gathered - some people were not very pleased with the precision of such tools

and preferred pen input. Here I'd be curious to hear from Andrew if lack of precision is a given limitation by the hardware or if it can

be tweaked to decent results. If this was so and haptic device support came pretty soon I'd maybe wait before spending money...

I was actually thinking in the direction of the Wacom 12Wx. It is nice and small and could serve as a nice little secondary screen for my

laptop. Is anybody of you using it and could share some thoughts about it and its possible advantages/disadvantages over a normal

Wacom Intuos? As yet I only used the mouse and 3D motion controlers.

Thanks, Holger

So nobody using this thing here?

post-575-1234822895_thumb.jpg

I use the big Wacom 21UX and the Spaceball 5000.

For the moment I use the Beta for VS and will soon buy 3D Coat V3.

The felling is very "Minority Report" like :)

One hand to move the object the other to sculpt. It is like if you where working in the screen.

Cintiques look great, but not $1000-2000 great. I tried one at Siggraph a few years ago and there seemed to be a bit of a lag in Photoshop. I hope they've improved that.

With Artrage (25$) or SketchBook Pro (100$) there is no lag until you use huge brushes.

In 3D-coat it seems that it doesn't take enough position samples for fast moves.

I mean it is OK for detail painting, sculpting and usual work but can't follow fast sketching strokes.

I have tried 2D painting in 3D-coat (on a large square plane) it would be perfect for me if it could take the full path of my sketchy drawing.

A little lag would not be a problem for me if the position across time was fully recorded.

I LOVE TO ROTATE (and also pan and zoom) the 2D plane with the Spaceball 5000 as a sheet of paper.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are developing a virtual dental cutting surgery by using the haptic device and a technique related to volume sculpting (through polyvox library)

http://www.thermite3d.org/joomla/index.php...8&Itemid=30

By adding the haptic device support, I believe it's possible to extend 3D Coat to virtual surgery, like dental drilling, filling as well,

beside your plan to support jewelly industry. You need to compute feedback force and allow the variety of surgical tools to be used though.

About adding haptic device support, you might wanna take a look at general haptic SDK like H3DAPI, CHAI3D, etc.

Using one of these means you can support wider range of hardware, from low-cost 3DOF Novint Falcon to 6DOF Phantom devices and other.

Keep up the good work :)

Phattanapon

• Contributor
I would still love to see some development in this area.

Same Here! now Voxel sculpting works right it would be a truly awsome artist tool just think about Working from skelatal and using Haptics to Build the muscles on a seperate layer in one motion. it would be Very applicable to creature design and prototyping. I would love to see it happen.

I have a wacom cintiq 12wx. The only issue people have had is the jitter when the pen tool is near the edges.

I also use a 3d spacemouse. It works quite well with most apps. It does not have any support for ZB though.

I messed with the haptic device at a convention and did not like it much. too restrictive for me as I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to sculpting.(I mean the real sculpting not digital)

Would be interesting to see it used just the same.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

There has been some development in the area of 3D falcon modeling.. Looks like someone has gone ahead and developed Novint's Cre8 demo software. The software is called Cloud9 and is available for download.

http://www.anarkikangels.co.uk/cloud9.aspx

It looks like it sucks (based mostly off of my knowledge of Cre8 and the results I see in the gallery) I will give it a try and report back..

Im not sure how much development it would take to make haptic features in 3D coat but I know that 3D coat would quickly step out as the choice software for those of us interested in haptics.. The software mentioned above will not compare.

IC

• Advanced Member
There has been some development in the area of 3D falcon modeling.. Looks like someone has gone ahead and developed Novint's Cre8 demo software.

Looks cool! Can't wait to try the Falcon with 3DC! Hopefully Andrew has some time to hook this up soon...