3DCoat Forums

Switching between modes

uuderzo

Go to solution Solved by stusutcliffe,

Newbie question incoming!

I'm trying to get the right grasp on 3DC environment and what it's driving me nuts currently is the connection between the various rooms. Especially the switch between voxel and surface modeling.

I see that while in voxel mode i can use some surface tools, then press ENTER to re-voxelize, and that's right. But what if i'm done with my rough voxel sketch and want to definitely switch to surface mode? Do i need anyway to pass through retopology? And when i retopologized an object, i see the new mesh in the right  tree structure but it doesn't seem to react to anything. I don't see it in sculpt mode, it looks like it's waiting for something and that's not intuitive to me.

And what if i want to switch back to voxel mode?

I tried searching the net but most tutorials focus on single features (e.g. voxel sculpting) and don't explain the inter-relations between rooms.

Sorry for the hyper newbie question.

Umberto

Hi Umberto

post-10142-0-95862100-1417430324_thumb.j

post-10142-0-49911400-1417430333_thumb.j

When you had done with rough voxel sketch and want to definitely switch to surface mode press over letter V (voxel mode). The layer prefix change to S (surface mode)

To switch back press S again, layer becomes V. -when switch back to V, you loose definition, be careful-

Info related:

Here's a quick video for those new to 3DCoat to explain the additive nature of voxel mode compared to surface mode.

Voxel modes can be used to create voxels in empty space on empty layers as well as build information on empty layers based on existing voxel information on existing layers - surface mode effects and adds topology to the existing surface polygons per surface layer.

In this video I demonstrate the additive voxel modes that you can use in a more "drawn" facility not the voxel primitives which all clearly add voxel information in an empty layer.

Thanks for the hints carlosan, i didn't figure that the little letter near the layer name indicates the voxel/surface mode.

Now that i know i can work with mixed technology in the same space i'm really happy with it!

By the way, in the video the "Sculpt" tab is "Voxel" tab. Has it merely been renamed in new version or does it refer something different?

Umberto

Hello carlosan...

About your link for downloading the nightly, i tried the latest 4.1.14D but like the stable one i have a trouble adding primitives to a scene. I'm trying to add a sphere (tried both in voxel and in surface mode) to an empty layer (child of a main layer with surface objects) and when applying the cpu goes to 13% stable and stays there forever. Trying to do the same operation on an empty scene works. As you can see from the screenshot, the scene fairly simple. The only thing that i can do is to kill the process. Tried DX, GL and CUDA and always the same freeze.

Is it possible to find a 4.0 or earlier download to test if the problem persists?

Thanks! Umberto

post-38835-0-31745500-1417731005_thumb.j

You are using the version 4.1.17

but the last is 4.1.17D

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_SttA137fidZmljODdfUm9qdHc&usp=sharing#list

4.0 sure

here:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14440

//edit

adding primitives - no problem from my side

post-10142-0-83271700-1417736988_thumb.j

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

I had a problem with adding a primitive a while back.....I think the problem was that I had symmetry turned on. So with all the symmetry buttons unchecked it seemed ok ( press "s" ) This was a while ago so I cant remember which vers I was using.

( using the latest at the moment and it appears to be incredibly stable, for me any way!)

You are right! Adding a primitive laying on the symmetry axis freezes the app. Maybe because it's trying to intersect two exactly matching surfaces. This happens both in 4.0 and in 4.1 so, well, i reverted to 4.1. Hope this can be fixed, sometimes i don't remember i have simmetry on then i freeze everything :)