3DCoat Forums

Thermal coupling

Monsoon

That's one thing about hard surfaces in VS, first let me say it looks excellent, nice sharp corners. But it seems like it would be easier to do something like that in a regular modeling program like LW Modeler where you can guarantee clean lines in your topology by lathing or beveling. Getting straight lines in 3DC retopo often means a lot of carefully tweaking the points one by one.

looks nice!, im also interested in doiing hard surface stuff with retopo, but a couple of things will be needed, i tought of something like drawing a single line on all the sharp edges makes bevel edges in retopo, and drawing circels that only snap on depth, but for now maybe import it as reference mesh in modeling program, use cilinders and boxes to draw the big shapes, also de repeating parts are easy to copy, the pipes you can do easy in retopo with the line tool

I agree traditional modeling is more optimal for these sorts of models, but can you imagine how fast it would be to create complex shapes in fractions of the time with a system such as this? Throw in a genuine layering system for boolean/combine sort of operations and it's as good as gold.