3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

OK. So that was stupid. Thanks Artman.

Number one is closed.

Still getting number two though :)

Ok I think this is a bug, can't get it to work with nested layers, but it works if I put the pbr material on a layer just below cavityMask. Can someone confirm or my scene is broken ?

Now that I can truely see pbr in 3dcoat I'm getting all giddy though :)

• Contributor

OK. So that was stupid. Thanks Artman.

Number one is closed.

Still getting number two though :)

Ok I think this is a bug, can't get it to work with nested layers, but it works if I put the pbr material on a layer just below cavityMask. Can someone confirm or my scene is broken ?

Now that I can truely see pbr in 3dcoat I'm getting all giddy though :)

by nested you mean in folder?

metalness is currently not compatible with layer folders....

Btw its much more fun and safer in ppp than in vextex mode....especially because a lot of the coolest presets have depth channel enabled.

Also you can import any mask you want by "replacing" the AO or Cavity map...3DC does not care if its not really an Ao or cavity map its gonna let you use whatever file you feed it..

• Contributor

Bug or maybe a missmatch in naming.

Paint Room -> Textures -> Import -> Roughness

The rougness map that i import wont gets used as rougness map, it is used as glossy map.

Maybe it would be better to call the import option glossy or a second import option with roghness that invert the rougness automaticly to a glossymap.

Or am i wrong with that?

I meant the file format (.hdr), not HDR as in High Dynamic Range. Probably I shouldn't use the caps.

For now if I want to load it into 3D-Coat, I need to manually convert it to .exr first.

Most of HDR environment maps on the Internet usually come as .hdr files, and majority of software supports this format. Hence my question.

It's not a big deal, just something that would be nice to have.

The Radiance format (.hdr) is actually just a standard 24-bit image, with an additional 8 bits worth of brightness data per pixel. So you have the standard RGB between 0 and 255, and then an additional channel going between 0 and 255. All the RGB channels are then multiplied by the forth channel, so each pixel is somewhere between 0 and 65,025. This means that the brightest pixel in an image will be no more than 65,025 times brighter than the darkest non-black pixel. However, the big problem with Radiance is that a single pixel has the same amount of color fidelity as in a regular 24-bit image (like a JPEG or PNG). If you have a pixel where the red component is 65,025 (255 times 255), the green and blue components can be either zero or 255 (or higher), nothing inbetween. With OpenEXR, this is not the case.

Also, a 32-bit floating point image has four billion brightness levels. With all three color channels, that makes for a grand total of almost 80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different colors. (That's an eight followed by 28 zeroes.)

SOURCE

• Advanced Member

A few bugs I ran into:

-Clicking on 'More' in the Stencil/Material 'Preview Options' bar only works (reveals the extra options) when the stencil visibility is set to 'Hidden', not Auto or Shown.

-The 'Tiling' option in the Preview Options doesn't work. Stencils always tile.

Sometimes PBR materials don't work properly anymore (Paints 100% gloss all the time, no textures at all). A restarts fixes this, but it might be something I'm doing wrong. Wouldn't know what, though!

Strips seems entirely broken!

here's an image that shows the result of using them. It's the same for all of the default ones I tried: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17715/3DC_strips.png

The triangles follow the pattern of the underlying polygons. It's a regular, unwrapped mesh and everything else works correctly

I can't get normalmaps baked in Substance Designer (using the default Tangent-space. 'Unity') to look good in 3DCoat.

Edited by Mighty Pea

Is there or will there be options for different types of preview icons such as perhaps a cube, or just old-style flat square? 

I like the old square/flat one the best for my purposes. With dozens of materials to choose from in each folder, I find the new preview ball makes it difficult for me to find the one I'm looking for. When they are set to 'modulate' for color (the way I like to use them), they all end up looking like similar multi-colored balls. The only way I can see what I'm selecting is to audition them one at a time...a difficult process with hundreds of materials in various folders. See screenshot...

post-38053-0-10844900-1419501555_thumb.j

Edited by rengsto
  • Like 1

1. i would like to store and easily access such of preset of colors for easy access, i don't especially need to store the gloos and the metallic values, but just the colors and named them, but i really don't want to use the pbr library.

So i think it would be nice to have a color swatch panel like in photoshop and store all the important colour tone that fits the Pbr chart made by sebastien Lagarde or whatever you want. n the state I can create an image and pickup the color from there, but honeslty that 's not really confortable to pickup the value from an image.
it could look like that with fast tooltip when the cursor hover the items :
http://puu.sh/dIYUh/6f1eaf9a11.png

2. why metallic and glossiness values are in percentage ?
it should be a value between 0 and 1 so we don't have to think the convertion that could make a lot of people confused about the exact value to use in percentage.

3. Agree with Rengto , without a good naming it will become harder to remember what does the pbr material presets withou to test them one after one.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

• Contributor

So i think it would be nice to have a color swatch panel like in photoshop and store all the important colour tone that fits the Pbr chart made by sebastien Lagarde or whatever you want. n the state I can create an image and pickup the color from there, but honeslty that 's not really confortable to pickup the value from an image.

it could look like that with fast tooltip when the cursor hover the items :

http://puu.sh/dIYUh/6f1eaf9a11.png

there is, Windows-pop ups-Color Swatches..there you can load a .aco pbr palette made in photoshop .

there is, Windows-pop ups-Color Swatches..there you can load a .aco pbr palette made in photoshop .

how i could have forget that ;x

thx artman ;)

well great but without the possibility to real the name of the items make it just  impossible to determane which item corresponds to what type of materials.

http://puu.sh/dJ3oi/915ed53a07.png

• Reputable Contributor

Bug with 4.5 beta 2 :

you can't see  glossiness when a layer is in a folder

4.5 deserve a new environment palette, with quick controls to change image gamma.

why not Ctrl + click outsite the model to rotate the environment, like in Substance painter ? 

If you watched Javis' first tutorial, he showed how to rotate the environment in the Navigation bar (upper right part of the viewport > 3rd icon from the left)

• Contributor

Can anyone confirm that "Dot Stroke" E-panel mode in the Sculpt room doesn't work as it was intended?

The description says:

Dot Stroke. Apply the current Brush with discreet dots.

Dot spacing depends on the speed of your stroke.

But it places only one dot, and movement of the cursor affects the speed with which this dot disappears. :wacko:

• Contributor

Thanks for checking, Malo.

---

There's a nasty UI bug that prevents opening numerical edit boxes in some popup windows. The "hotspot" in Brush Options window seems to be a little bit off its position and way too small. Opening edit boxes of Layer Blending window is almost impossible.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1700

Bug with 4.5 beta 2 :

you can't see  glossiness when a layer is in a folder

4.5 deserve a new environment palette, with quick controls to change image gamma.

why not Ctrl + click outsite the model to rotate the environment, like in Substance painter ? 

+1 

I think it sounds like a good idea to have a palette for environments, but using CTRL as the default hotkey would cause some problems with the way I paint and sculpt. I turn off navigation without the ALT key so I can paint/sculpt in the viewport, by starting strokes off the objects, sometimes inverted with the CTRL key. I use ALT only for navigation, not without.

Anyway, I like the idea, but please, not the CTRL key. Any other non-modifier key would be fine.

Aren't they directly translatable as in 100% equals 1 and 50% equals .5?

0.5 =  128 128 128 but if i know i need  to paint  96 96 96  or what ever I want that is not easy to compute mentally , how can i know which value i must to use ? i take my calculator ?

i hate to calculated percentage but this is the math to get the right value  if you need to paint stricly this value (RGB :96 96 96).

96 / 256 * 100 = 37.5%

What could be very nice to have in 3d coat, is that input value could compute basic math or automatically transform that value into percentage for metalness and gloss.

And that could be useful when it come to move any object with transform tool in voxel room.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

I did manage to get something exported but I cannot figure out how to apply my textures in Carrara to make it look like the model in 3dcoat.. How would one export a pbr painted model to Maya or Max? Is it possible . If someone can do that maybe I can extrapolate that method for Carrara.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything you can do with the metalness workflow, you can do with the specular workflow.

I've written an article that covers the difference between the two workflows here:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

In fact, you can easily convert textures meant for the metalness workflow to the specular workflow, with near identical results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture Conversion: Metalness -> Specular

Converting to the specular workflow from the metalness workflow is easy as well. We simply need to split the diffuse and specular information from the albedo map into explicit diffuse and specular textures.

metaltospec01.jpg

Diffuse Map

• Load your albedo map into Photoshop
  • Create a new fill layer that is black (#000000)
  • Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer

Specular Map

• Make a duplicate of the original albedo map and move it above the fill layer
  • Create another fill layer with a value of #383838
  • Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer
  • Invert the layer mask