3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Applying changes to UVs or texture resolution in the latest beta has become very slow - even for a single mesh with 2k map it takes more than 5 minutes on Xeon workstation with 32 threads.

• Reputable Contributor

Applying changes to UVs or texture resolution in the latest beta has become very slow - even for a single mesh with 2k map it takes more than 5 minutes on Xeon workstation with 32 threads.

Jamie, make sure to e-mail that to Andrew, as he may not see your post here.

• Contributor

I find several problems in Retopo after successful Autopo. Cleaning up involved deleting wild polygons but this went fast. But now I can't get P&F to do it's thing with missing polys and Quads snapped to points without welding.

post-1430-0-17536900-1429828479_thumb.pn

Scratch that, confusion over Retopo Objects. :blush:

Edited by Tony Nemo

Is there any way I can download older beta versions? Beta17 seems incredibly buggy.

Hey man! Yeah there sure is. Using the link in the first post, you can change the build number for quite a few builds back. For example:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-V4_5-BETA16-64.exe

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-V4_5-BETA12A-64.exe

Both work.

• Advanced Member

I'd like to post a partially minor grievance with 3d coat. The zoom in and out, whether by hotkey or by UI element, doesnt work right when moves left to right diagonally. You can either go up or down vertically, or left to right horizontally and get it to act normal. Almost every other software package I use, modo/maya/blender..ect reads diagonal movement as well. I hope this is a minor fix that can be added to 4.5 prior to its release.

Wow 4.5 beta is awful.... It's so buggy it's ridiculous. Really to much wrong for me to even begin but some of the most basic options don't even work for me anymore. For instance if I extrude an alpha on an object and hit control z it leaves TONS of artifacts on the model..

Wish saw the first post here about renaming before overwriting... lesson learned.

Wow 4.5 beta is awful.... It's so buggy it's ridiculous. Really to much wrong for me to even begin but some of the most basic options don't even work for me anymore. For instance if I extrude an alpha on an object and hit control z it leaves TONS of artifacts on the model..

Wish saw the first post here about renaming before overwriting... lesson learned.

Due diligence. ;) It is in big bold letters and clearly stated to back up and not to use it in production. 4.5 is beta, and we mean beta when we say it.

If you do find bugs, it's a lot more helpful for everyone if you file them so they get fixed.

Please explain details. It was tested very deeply and at this state it seems to be relatively clean and close to release. So if you see something awful, please post steps to reproduce. This will help a lot. I am working a lot over cleanig up everything, so posting problems to mantis will be very helpful - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

• Advanced Member

Has anybody had a chance to make AUTOPO on objects similar to this one?

Clipboard01.jpg

I had no luck to make AUTOPO for this object using any settings. 3DC hangs or creates ugly retopology. My solution was to export hi dense geometry to 3ds max and use ProOptimizer to reduce polygons.

Edited by Vipera

• Contributor

Has anybody had a chance to make AUTOPO on objects similar to this one?

Clipboard01.jpg

I had no luck to make AUTOPO for this object using any settings. 3DC hangs or creates ugly retopology. My solution was to export hi dense geometry to 3ds max and use ProOptimizer to reduce polygons.

After much Decimation to merge objects with varied res, I used Autopo to create the mesh (with no modifiers) and had some rogue polygons to eliminate. I deleted all polygons from areas out of camera range for the upcoming scene to lower the polycount (manually creating large polygons with the Strokes tool). Yours is more complicated but  Decimate as much as possible (85%?) before Autopo and click through the modifiers leting Autopo deal with it. Delete any weird polygons, fill any holes. "ProOptimizer" sounds like 3DC's "Decimate".

post-1430-0-82725700-1429902838_thumb.pn

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Advanced Member

Just wanted to ask this here before I go and submit a bug report on Mantis.

I noticed that the isolated view 'Relief' lighting does not correspond to the 'Smooth Shade' lighting.  Is this intended or a bug perhaps?

I couldn't find controls in 'Relief' to position the light or change the intensity in any way (the icons at the top of the 3d window doesn't affect it in any way)

cheers.

4.5 BETA18

- Bright PBR fill preview fixed

- In z-up mode choosing reference images corresponds to changed axis names.

- Color swatches window appearance and RMB problems fixed.

- Problem with (trial) in the header solved

- Removed little plane-cut spots in Undercuts tool.

- fixed scale&quality prblems in bas-relief tool

• Like 2

• Contributor

4.5 BETA18

- Bright PBR fill preview fixed

- In z-up mode choosing reference images corresponds to changed axis names.

- Color swatches window appearance and RMB problems fixed.

- Problem with (trial) in the header solved

- Removed little plane-cut spots in Undercuts tool.

- fixed scale&quality prblems in bas-relief tool

Bright PBR fill preview seems fixed but a weird new issue has appeared (i dont know if it is related to fix)

When using "Hue Saturation lightness" from texture menu, some object get different hue from the others....what is even stranger is that the hue change to that object is applied even if I press Cancel button. .....Even Undo is not able to restore the previous color.

(you can reproduce using same file as Bright pbr preview issue)

post-1195-0-95285300-1430078537_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Bright PBR fill preview seems fixed but a weird new issue has appeared (i dont know if it is related to fix)

When using "Hue Saturation lightness" from texture menu, some object get different hue from the others....what is even stranger is that the hue change to that object is applied even if I press Cancel button. .....Even Undo is not able to restore the previous color.

(you can reproduce using same file as Bright pbr preview issue)

attachicon.gifhue.jpg

I noticed something similar for a while now. When Preview is checked, every adjustment is automatically applied additively to the object and is permanent. Meant to send a bug-report, but thought it was too small to mention. Does need to get fixed, though.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, is there ANY chance 3D Coat could switch to a newer standard like DX11 and/or OpenGL 4? DX9 is Soooooooooooooooooo old, now. Practically a decade. There are so many performance improvements that could be gleaned by doing so. Perhaps slider adjustments could refresh much faster, cause right now they are simply too slow to use..at all. I've stopped even trying now. Same thing with sliders in the Adjustment panels. I have to believe some of that is DX 9's inability to quickly refresh that much texture resolution, whereas DX11 has greatly enhanced texture map and mesh handling.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Plus if i am correct as well , it will be able to handle sculpts (voxels) and polys much faster , but this needs newer cuda programming / sdk as well , correct?

No cuda isn't needed to support newer versions of OGL at all. It's no trivial matter implementing a newer version of OGL, but it would most likely have a lot of benefits over any kind of cuda.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Good to know Javis, good to know.

Any news at which point , are we with the currect beta?

Is it close to a final reliase?

Asking because i want to take care of my financial and upgrade to pro version , or buy a used license from a current user.

What I would love to see is the developers actually addressing performance. For the longest time paint strokes are incredibly slow even on smaller textures sizes (1k). This applies to using large radius brush strokes or even smaller ones. I sometimes get the impression that certain alphas have a negative effects on speed (that's mostly just an impression and should be investigated). I find using 3DCoat extremely painful to use lately due to performance issues and bugs that are in your face obvious which makes me wonder how the internal testing is performed if at all. Most every app has a "Send bug" feature which I don't see in 3DCoat. You can't expect for every user to sign up for Mantis or the come here to the forum to complain. Most won't.

I am a beta tester for two of the biggest software companies and I know that things can be a bit chaotic behind the scenes and the impression I get with 3DCoat is that it seems to be very chaotic and all over the place on "issues" and how they are addressed. 

I don't want to come off as ranting. I am fully aware that this is "Beta". 

Hi Thomas

If you have any suggestion about this content

What is a BETA ?

please let me know by PM -i dont like to generate a brainstorm about it here, in the dev thread-

3DC development is growing rapidly, and we are always open to hear new suggestions.

thanks