3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Great release. Painting textures is so easy now.

But this bug http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1711 seems to be still present. Can someone confirm - that using condition mask from top bar - 'mask by flat', 'mask by curved' works in preview, but not while painting?

BTW. 

I will be giving some lesson to coworkers how to paint in 3dc, and soon ours company will buy few copies  for sure.

Edited by JoseConseco

If you don't need PBR just choose Textures->Texture export workflow->Gloss/Specular color

Also View->Greyscale panoramas

It will be closest to previous approach.

Perfect! Thanks again for the great update. 

• Contributor

There are some problems in the Retopo Room. Most of the time Undo works only one or two levels deep. I'm working mostly with Strokes and Brush tool, but sometimes even deleting faces is non-undoable. V4.5.02.

• Advanced Member

There are some problems in the Retopo Room. Most of the time Undo works only one or two levels deep. I'm working mostly with Strokes and Brush tool, but sometimes even deleting faces is non-undoable. V4.5.02.

I also was finding ctrl & click on a seam was not working to unmark seams

• Contributor

This I can't confirm as it seems to work for me, at least after a very brief test. However I have a hunch that I'll run into this issue later on, after I'm done with retopo and start to unwrap the mesh.

There's definitely something fishy about the Retopo Room in V4.5. ;)

• Contributor

Okay, it looks like in 4.5.02 we can Undo only once in the Retopo Room. I haven't tried all of the tools, but most of them are affected like Strokes, Delete Polygons, Points/Faces,. Can someone confirm?

And while I was writing this post, 3D-Coat crashed in the background:

post-12523-0-11609500-1433184798_thumb.p

21GB used by 3D-Coat, many GBs still free (+32GB of free virtual memory). Last two incremental saves do not load (upon loading, they crash with the same error message).

All I did was working on the retopo mesh inside the Retopo Room.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Okay, it looks like in 4.5.02 we can Undo only once in the Retopo Room. I haven't tried all of the tools, but most of them are affected like Strokes, Delete Polygons, Points/Faces,. Can someone confirm?

And while I was writing this post, 3D-Coat crashed in the background:

attachicon.gif3dc_out_of_memory_retopo_room.png

21GB used by 3D-Coat, many GBs still free (+32GB of free virtual memory). Last two incremental saves do not load (upon loading, they crash with the same error message).

All I did was working on the retopo mesh inside the Retopo Room.

I've had similar problems with undo and crashing, in my case they turned out to be related to where 3dcoat was storing it's working files. Had to set the directory to a local drive using the environment variable COAT_FILES_PATH . This was on a linux machine so not sure if relevant to your problem.

• Contributor

I was able to open the scene that crashed V.4.5.02 with 3D-Coat version 4.1.11 - my most favourite 4.1.x build. I managed to export the retopo mesh to file and then loaded up one of the previous incremental saves with version 4.5.02 to import that retopo geometry back to Retopo Room. I saved the scene under a new name and... again, I cannot load the new .3b file any more with version 4.5. Out of memory. :blink:

• Contributor

My scene without the retopo mesh takes 3.5GB of RAM.
If I import my retopo mesh (1352 triangles), RAM usage increases to 3.517GB.
Now, with retopo mesh imported, if I save the scene under a new name, close 3D-Coat and reload the new scene, 3D-Coat memory usage raises to 17,626GB and then it crashes (out of memory). The only difference between the scenes are those 1352 triangles.

Jamie, I'm on Windows, so sadly I cannot do much with your advice. Nevertheless, thank you for trying to help me. :)

What is interesting is that the Undo problem disappeared after I restarted 3D-Coat. Crashing persists though. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe I can come up with some solution. If not, I'll have to send my files to support.

• Advanced Member

My scene without the retopo mesh takes 3.5GB of RAM.

If I import my retopo mesh (1352 triangles), RAM usage increases to 3.517GB.

Now, with retopo mesh imported, if I save the scene under a new name, close 3D-Coat and reload the new scene, 3D-Coat memory usage raises to 17,626GB and then it crashes (out of memory). The only difference between the scenes are those 1352 triangles.

Jamie, I'm on Windows, so sadly I cannot do much with your advice. Nevertheless, thank you for trying to help me. :)

What is interesting is that the Undo problem disappeared after I restarted 3D-Coat. Crashing persists though. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe I can come up with some solution. If not, I'll have to send my files to support.

I today too have been getting out of memory errors and crashes. I am planning on resintalling Windows as was concerned this is a Windows issue and its about time I did one anyway but will follow what happens with you closely. Andrew has an older version of my scene that is now crashing as my bake operations aren't working well.

• Contributor

Turns out it has nothing to do with the retopo mesh. It's enough if I open one of the recent incremental saves that still work and save it under a different name. If I then attempt to load the new scene, 3D-Coat crashes.

I deleted some paint layers and I was able to save and reload the scene. So I though that I might be simply running out of GPU memory, but no. The scene only eats up about 25% of it.

Edited by ajz3d

Fantastic job with regulating VSYNC in newer releases. My videocard's capacitors (or what) no longer chirps or buzzes loudly when starting 3D-Coat. I couldn't switch this sound off, no matter what forced or no settings I used in the NVIDIA manager.

• Advanced Member

This hasn't been fixed in 4.5 final yet, and it's a pretty severe issue!

3DC_GlossBUG.gif

if the GIF compression makes it harder to see what's going on:

I'm painting with only gloss, and those blocky artifacts aren't compression, they're actually painted into the Gloss.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Another problem:

What's happening here is that I open the texture in Photoshop (ctrl-p), copy merged, paste that on a new layer (it looks identical to the underlying layers!), save. When I get back to 3dcoat, things are significantly brighter, as if it now has a different colour profile (linear isntead of sRGB?)

3DC_pbrBUG.gif

At this point I feel I should be getting paid for beta-testing this thing, hah.

edit: Just to be sure, I checked, and I'm on 4.5.02

Edited by Mighty Pea
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Aaand another one!

If the layer controls are overlapping with layers, they'll be unusable. Instead, you're clicking on the layer underneath, which you'll figure out when you doubleclick (and get the rename dialog for that layer).

3DC_paletteBUG.gif

Edited by Mighty Pea
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

If only I were joking, but here's another one:

3DC_hideBUG.gif

Hidden geometry still stops the hide tool, meaning you can't hide things that are underneath hidden geometry.

This is one of the default meshes, so you can easily test this yourself.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Another one:

You still can't open the 'more' ('toggle between Compact and Extended forms) section in the stencil options when it's set to 'From Camera'.

If you change to another mode, say Cube Mapping, it opens, but then you get no preview. When you then go BACK to From Camera, you can no longer zoom, pan or rotate the stencil.

You can only fix it by changing to another stencil and changing back.

EDIT:

Bug #2:

Merging layers will darken the color if the Depth Opacity has been adjusted.

3DC_MergeBUG.gif

Edited by Mighty Pea