3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

I was also wondering. I assume the export adjusts (decimates) the density of the mesh according to the resolution of the printer. It probably offsets the mesh to compensate for the wire diameter. 

Yeah, that's the impression I got too. But IMO using decimation , "the manual" way gives much better optimized mesh.

On the other hand I've dealt with more than a fair share of meshes where it was difficult to explain to customer than gazillion ;) of polys is not needed . Maybe an option where they set printer resolution and click "done" is a way to go.

• Contributor

I just imported to sculpt room a pre-subdivided object consisting of 142 subobjects (1 144 864 triangles in total) and the performance I get in the viewport is below 1 frame per second. It's weird considering that I was able to handle sculptures as heavy as 60M polys with a much more fluid viewport performance.

What might be going on here?

I'm getting tired of all of those ridiculous problems that surface when you least expect them.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'm getting tired of all of those ridiculous problems that surface when you least expect them.

Tbh, that has been my experience with 3D Coat from the get go. There is always something going horribly wrong or bugging out, it gets tiring after awhile. The newest issue, at least on my end, is now the masking is behaving erratically, with a weird blotchy result or strange smears when trying to smooth borders. Before that the pen input would just jump around from working to not working... which requires a restart of 3d coat to fix or as one user suggested rolling back to some older wacom drivers. The user shouldnt have to go through this so often. I'm at the point where I am just considering dropping 3D Coat altogether, which would suck...  So far Mari hasnt given me these problems and while I dislike the work flow it has become a far more stable and optimized experience. Tough choices.... Anyways that bit I quoted you as saying is the exact sentiment I feel right now.  Its tiring....

Edited by RabenWulf
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Tbh, that has been my experience with 3D Coat from the get go. There is always something going horribly wrong or bugging out, it gets tiring after awhile. The newest issue, at least on my end, is now the masking is behaving erratically, with a weird blotchy result or strange smears when trying to smooth borders. Before that the pen input would just jump around from working to not working... which requires a restart of 3d coat to fix or as one user suggested rolling back to some older wacom drivers. The user shouldnt have to go through this so often. I'm at the point where I am just considering dropping 3D Coat altogether, which would suck...  So far Mari hasnt given me these problems and while I dislike the work flow it has become a far more stable and optimized experience. Tough choices.... Anyways that bit I quoted you as saying is the sentiment exactly.  Its tiring....

I know what you mean. Right now I simply cannot finish my asset. I need to find a workaround for the current problem which probably will take several hours at least (in an optimistic case). Maybe days...

Funny, I merged all of the layers into one surface layer (with a Combine with Children command) and while the polycount remains roughly the same, the viewport performance has risen to hundreds of frames per second.

So 3D-Coat cannot handle multiple objects in the viewport now? WTF?

• Like 2

my test

stencil "tiling" = are not working

stencil "opacity preview" = are working

rendering a single image in any custom size = are working

What I mean is the mask auto visibility switcher. Where you can set the mask visibility on or off. The mask is perrmanently visible whatever you click.

If this is a bug, I hope Andrew enables the option for turning Tiling off for Stencils (last time I used it, you could not) and enable the MORE option list to be used on them as well. There are many stencils I may want to use that don't have enough contrast or brightness, and having the MORE options exposed to them would help. I had to use a work-around to get them to work, previously, but this needs to get fixed.

Some versions before it was possible to switch the tiling.

The more button never worked for masks before. For color textures only as I remember.

• Reputable Contributor

Some versions before it was possible to switch the tiling.

The more button never worked for masks before. For color textures only as I remember.

I know, it's been non-working since I can remember, but I found a work-around recently, so there is no reason Andrew can't fix it to work properly. The trick I tried was to use materials > open the MORE options > switch to Stencils and the MORE options stays open.

I know, it's been non-working since I can remember, but I found a work-around recently, so there is no reason Andrew can't fix it to work properly. The trick I tried was to use materials > open the MORE options > switch to Stencils and the MORE options stays open.

This is really interesting. It could be a workaround, but if you ask me, this is actually not willed... :) No matter. A good hint until it will be fixed or get a diffrent solution...

• Advanced Member

I just installed the latest Beta and get a startup crash on both DX versions. Previous version was working fine. DX11 installed. OGL versions of 3DC are okay. According to the Microsoft Updater I have the latest version of DX11, and the MS DX diagnosis tool says there are no errors with DX11 on my machine.

I just installed the latest Beta and get a startup crash on both DX versions. Previous version was working fine. DX11 installed. OGL versions of 3DC are okay. According to the Microsoft Updater I have the latest version of DX11, and the MS DX diagnosis tool says there are no errors with DX11 on my machine.

Which windows?

Sorry. Win7. But now the DX Cuda version works and the OGL Cuda crashes on startup. Maybe it's a problem with my system instead.

Maybe. Don't forget, we are using a beta here and currently some core routines will be rewritten...

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry. Win7. But now the DX Cuda version works and the OGL Cuda crashes on startup. Maybe it's a problem with my system instead.

Try installing the DX 9 (which I believe the initial install suggests), and which 3D Coat still uses. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it leaves your DX11 intact, and just has a copy of DX9 on your system. Maybe Andrew can clarify this. I just remember having similar issues years ago, trying to rely on the DX 10 on my system rather than install the DX9 3D Coat asked for. After installing the DX9, it worked properly.

With that said, first do the easiest thing and just update your card driver, and see if that solves the issue. If not, then try what I suggested. OpenGL is supposed to be a bit faster now, when it was just the opposite for a long time, but I find that I run into glitches in the display once in a while, with it, and almost never notice any with DX.

• Like 2

Thought this might be of some interest: Seeing as the official 3DSMax applink hadn't been updated in a while, and was giving people a lot of problems, I decided to write a new one!

You can grab it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/g_3DCappLink.mcr

It's missing one or two features from the official one atm, but works fine in every version of Max and 3DC I've tested (under Windows7).

• Like 2

The paths were only one of the problems for me. The much bigger issue was the generated ini file which would lock itself and fail to load regularly (made a post about it in the applink thread).

If the official version works for you though, more power to ya :)

I actually want to add some extra features beyond what the official one has anyways. Actually, speaking of the input/output paths, mine doesn't require user input for them at all and auto-detects the currently installed versions of 3DC instead :)

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

I have already made changes to 3ds max Applink script some time ago. Here is my post about this.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&view=findpost&p=122136

I think Andrew changing the MyDocs/ 3D Coat Vx directory from V4 to V45 just screwed up all the applinks. I asked him if he'd change that default folder back to V4, and he didn't seem too open to do so, for whatever reason. So, changing the applink prior to the 4.5 release isn't going to help things. You could install it OK, but I could never send items between the apps. For one thing, the applink never auto-generated a 3ds Max 2016 folder in the EXCHANGE folder (MyDocs/3D Coat).

Hey Andrew, could we get an option when exporting emissive maps they're given a black background instead of a grey one?

I just posted an update to my 3dsmax<->3dc applink where it auto-generates a PBR material in Max using the stingray shader, but had to disable emissive because it doesn't support alpha and instead multiplies the entire texture (resulting in a 'whitening' effect). Its normally not a big deal to just modify the map afterwords in Photoshop, but with the applink it has to all be done at once or not at all.

Also, speaking of applinks, when using the exhange method of importing files some of the the 3DC UI windows (like paint layers) will become undocked. Its actually a really old bug, but really needs to get fixed as it makes using applinks a pain when their whole purpose is making things easier.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Advanced Member

I believe they are still the same Raben.

Sometimes i get those too , sometimes not.

That's unfortunate, I thought it was improved. I get it with all shaders and custom matcaps unfortunately outside of the first few defaults. Granted you can see a bit of this in other applications its just way more pronounced with 3d coat. 

• Reputable Contributor

Per pixel painting speeded up MANY times. Especially for big textures and Smart materials with cavity.

That could be HUGE, as it was one of the things that separated Mari from 3D Coat. Could make 3D Coat a much more viable option for film-level work, now...especially given the new PBR/Smart Material tech.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed today that the free form cage pose tool works much better again for posing... Not sure when it got a working over as I have not used it in a while... Of couse you can use the posing manikin but I wanted to see how the cage tool was working...

post-518-0-77593700-1445618643_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Damnit I was just warming up to 3D Coat again and it messes up again. Was using it earlier today, everything was fine. Loaded it back up and all settings were reset, didnt remember past save files but for some reason my custom matcaps were there. On top of that, the Brush behavior isnt the same before, the quality dropped. Color Blending starts showing banding. Why is this happening? So frustrating. Anyone else have weird issues like this after 4.5?

• Reputable Contributor

On my end I see no quality drop in brush behavior. Andrew made the paint brush stroke blending better in the update of 4.5.10 beta. I have seen no drop in voxel or surface mode brushes quality over the last several updates.

I am not sure of what is producing your problems but it appears not everyone is effected such as myself...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1