3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Regarding the brush behavior, I noticed two different things happening. If it skips around, I have to restart 3d coat and its fixed temporarily. What I experienced after loading it up and having all settings reset to default required an entire PC restart to get the behavior back to normal.

• Contributor

Yes , on complex high denstity sculpts a restart helps.

I noticed that i had this more with the 8 giga ram. 

With 16 giga less.

Same with gpu , with 470 more with 970 less.

• Advanced Member

Try installing the DX 9 (which I believe the initial install suggests), and which 3D Coat still uses. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it leaves your DX11 intact, and just has a copy of DX9 on your system. Maybe Andrew can clarify this. I just remember having similar issues years ago, trying to rely on the DX 10 on my system rather than install the DX9 3D Coat asked for. After installing the DX9, it worked properly.

With that said, first do the easiest thing and just update your card driver, and see if that solves the issue. If not, then try what I suggested. OpenGL is supposed to be a bit faster now, when it was just the opposite for a long time, but I find that I run into glitches in the display once in a while, with it, and almost never notice any with DX.

Thanks for the suggestions, but startup is still erratic. For instance, I just reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers and all four iterations of 3DCoat crashed on startup. But then I started 3DCoat again and it was fine. However, I do suspect it's a problem with this machine as I've been having a right royal 'mare loading Softimage, too, ever since a defrag and big Windows update.

Could someone take a look at the projection modes of masks please. (Voxel sculpting mode)

The brush feedback is buggy. When you switch to qubic, then the visual feedback changes, dependent of the brush mode you are using. If you are using a paint brush, then all works fine, and the result is the same like the visual preview. But if you use a fill brush, like rectangle then the result is wrong and not the same like the preview.

This is a problem in all projection modes but the camera mode.

At this point I wish a whole preview for the cubic mode. If you set a very tiny brush, then you get no preview feedback as long as you do not scale the brush. It is distruptive to switch between the brush sizes, just to check the projection size (that currently does not work in fill modes anyway).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I just imported to sculpt room a pre-subdivided object consisting of 142 subobjects (1 144 864 triangles in total) and the performance I get in the viewport is below 1 frame per second. It's weird considering that I was able to handle sculptures as heavy as 60M polys with a much more fluid viewport performance.

What might be going on here?

I'm getting tired of all of those ridiculous problems that surface when you least expect them.

I just reinstalled 4.5.19 on a fresh Windows 7 install after getting the blue screen of death on my old setup. Now trying to open my old files gives me 7-15FPS in the viewport. Feels like trying to pull my brush over honey. Have you managed to fix things? I'm going to uninstall .19 and hopefully 4.5.16 will fix it

EDIT: According to the mirror https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_SttA137fidZmljODdfUm9qdHc&usp=sharing#list last available 4.5 version is 18, is it possible to go back further than this with versions? ajz3D, do you remember the last version that you were using without issue?

Edited by arumiat

• Contributor

Copy the download link to the most recent 3DC version, paste it into browser's address bar and replace the version number. For example, to download version 4.5.10 change 19 to 10:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-V4_5-19-64.exe
http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-V4_5-10-64.exe
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

The Pose tool create ridges when curving a section of the mesh. If the pose will not produce these ridges but keep the curve section smooth after applying the pose then that would make the pose tool even better... I tried a number of falloff settings but I still get these ridges. You can not smooth them out without loosing the clean sharpness of the voxel / surface mesh. This happens in surface mode as well. 

If anyone has settings that work, I am all ears..

post-518-0-73555200-1445906318_thumb.png

• Reputable Contributor

Here is the video of the pose tool curve problem as described in my other post... Video made with a free screen recording program but you can see the ridges after applying the curve pose. I will keep this video up for about a week then take it down...

As stated no pose curve tool falloff settings worked and the freeform cage did not help to get rid of the ridged effect. If any Pose Tool gurus know of a way, I am all ears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgZZgnf0EU&feature=youtu.be 

For those interested I use Krut Computer Recorder. Runs using Java, no installing required. Does a fine job for showing problems...

EDIT:

To the Admin... If you think this post needs to be moved else where please do... As this more of a general problem than specific to the betas...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

What about smooth after this ends?

Do ridges still exist? 

Edit :

You can not smooth them out without loosing the clean sharpness of the voxel / surface mesh 

From your original post.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

This is created from the falloff!!!!

While you rotate go to perspective and watch the falloff gradient , exactly when gradient phases are , ridges will be created!!!

Suggestion : Play with different falloff values 

• Reputable Contributor

I pressed control z and indeed they go away but as soon as you resample they appear again. Has stated I tried many combinations of pose curve tool settings but they all leave the ridged effect some more some less. 

The best I found so far is a light overall falloff and then press smooth transition several times but then this center perpendicular  ridge appears.. the ridge can be either extruded or inverted depending upon the curve falloff... I would call that a bug in the smooth transition routine.

Symmetry is turned off and I am in Ortho mode.

I will keep working on different curve settings as I have time but I think a look see by Andrew could help esp with with what appears to be a bug, at least with the smooth transition...

post-518-0-92604100-1446072595_thumb.png

• Contributor

To be honest i use it a lot but never noticed anything until i  did your steps (rotate the cube to an almost paramorphosis state).

This should be a bug and exactly as you describe it to be.

• Reputable Contributor

To be honest i use it a lot but never noticed anything until i  did your steps (rotate the cube to an almost paramorphosis state).

This should be a bug and exactly as you describe it to be.

If Andrew does indeed find this as a bug and can fixed that would be great... Also what would be nice is a numerical smooth transition input slider added. Clicking smooth transition a number of times get repetitive quickly and it could make for some really great soft transitions without having to click 30 times in a row... LOL...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Digman, feel free to add +1 to this half year old bug report. I gave up on reporting bugs on mantis, for some time now, because they are not getting fixed. And I value my time too much to post bugs, that are being ignored.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1762

I would say, this numerical precision problem.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@JoseConseco... Done

This is worth a look over by Andrew as it does limit the pose tool to certain transformations. The ability to rotate for a curved effect using the pose tool with a smooth transition is needed..

• Like 1

• Contributor

I think we really need some means that would allow us to easy manipulate symmetry planes and pivots for all types of symmetry that 3D-Coat offers. For example:

- an on-screen manipulator to translate and rotate it

- snap it to grids

- copy symmetry plane/pivot position and rotation from one VoxTree layer to another (!).

Currently there are only three numerical text fields for translation where you need to type values by trial and error and a Pick mode (also used for positioning the plane and not for rotation).

---

What happened with the original Default shader (the one from the Sculpt Room) and the other shaders except just a handful of them? There were removed from 4.5.19?

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Someone can confirm the error opencl baking AO in version Beta19, using driver version 358.50 nvidia?
Checked on two graphics cards gtx960m and gtx850m, win 8.1 (64):

jjKTXTu.png

TUZ4czX.png

After the error, you can select only the CPU
In the version of the same bug in Beta18, version Beta17 works fine

Edited by HunterWolf

4.5.20 [beta]

- PPP painting speed essentially grown especially for big texture resolution, big polygons, materials dependent on cavity.

- More/less button supported for stencils.

- Fixed problem of FPS dropdown in scenes with imported multiobject meshes.

- ESC in retopo/transform will not clear selection

- Tools in space panel ajusted in a bit more logical order.

- PBR preview works correctly with N-gons.

- "Tiling" recovered, now works with stencils again

- drawing long lines in UV window works correctly

• Like 5