3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

- Color picker gets color from everywhere on screen. In color picker dialog clicking outside the picker window will pick color as well. "V" hotkey works there as well.

Been wanting this feature for so long! Thanks Andrew! :)

Edit: Would it be possible to hold the hotkey when color picking the screen to see what color was going to be picked in realtime?

I also noticed the wireframe issue I mentioned on the previous page has been fixed, but the background texture one hasn't.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

- There is possibility to bake Sculpt objects onto current paint mesh. Retopo->Update paint mesh. It will keep painted textures and update normalmap and layers related to Sculpt volumes. It simplifies workflow when you need to change something in geometry on very late stage. Also you may bring paint mesh to sculpt room directly using Geometry->Paint mesh->Sculpt mesh.

- "Ignore back faces" works for Move tool in surface mode.

- If you select some voume via H key VoxTree will be scrolled to show selected volume.

- Material navigation in UV mapping mode tweaked (Speed of transformation).

- Color picker gets color from everywhere on screen. In color picker dialog clicking outside the picker window will pick color as well. "V" hotkey works there as well.

- Toggle Freeze works correctly.

- prim history works correctly for voxels as well.

:shok:  Thank you so much, Andrew. That's a pretty substantial build.  :good2:

• Advanced Member

- There is possibility to bake Sculpt objects onto current paint mesh. Retopo->Update paint mesh. It will keep painted textures and update normalmap and layers related to Sculpt volumes. It simplifies workflow when you need to change something in geometry on very late stage. Also you may bring paint mesh to sculpt room directly using Geometry->Paint mesh->Sculpt mesh.

Any threads or videos on how this works out yet? If so, link?

Thanks AbnRanger and thank you for the update Andrew.

• Reputable Contributor

Any threads or videos on how this works out yet? If so, link?

Thanks AbnRanger and thank you for the update Andrew.

He just now released the build, so there's not been enough time to record anything yet. I need to ask him for one small addition, and that is to provide an option to replace Paint Mesh with Retopo Mesh during the UPDATE PAINT MESH process.

Reason being that if one needs to make some modeling or major sculpting, posing edits, then baking the maps is just one stage in the process. The Retopo mesh will have to replace the Paint Mesh first. Without this option, the user has to export the Retopo Mesh, then go to the Paint Room > FILE Menu > IMPORT > Replace Geometry. Then they have to go back into the Retopo Workspace to do the baking of the maps. A checkbox for REPLACE PAINT MESH w/ RETOPO MESH, in the UPDATE PAINT MESH  pop-up, would condense all those steps down into one. 

• Advanced Member

So just installed 4.5.38 and got this light show up. I'm not familiar enough with the interface to know where this is coming from and what the old settings were:

It seems to be only affecting the DX version on my system. I also fooled with the contrast and light icons on the top right corner toolbar and the viewport has changed a bit. I liked the default (It looks a little dryer now)

Can anyone answer where this lightsource is coming from or what has changed? Getting the contrast and primary light intensity back to defaults would be nice. Any advice is good.

Thanks.

post-2885-0-29139100-1463277230_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Just reloaded previous build and it appears to have a couple light sources coming from above and rear and stage right etc.....

This looks like they are all at POV center or something? 

Anyway.....................

• Reputable Contributor

So just installed 4.5.38 and got this light show up. I'm not familiar enough with the interface to know where this is coming from and what the old settings were:

It seems to be only affecting the DX version on my system. I also fooled with the contrast and light icons on the top right corner toolbar and the viewport has changed a bit. I liked the default (It looks a little dryer now)

Can anyone answer where this lightsource is coming from or what has changed? Getting the contrast and primary light intensity back to defaults would be nice. Any advice is good.

Thanks.

Confirmed. And I agree, it's pretty annoying. Doesn't change when using different environment maps. Can't find any way to disable it, either. This is probably the result of someone requesting a spotlight/direct light in the viewport and it makes matters worse for all other users.

• Advanced Member

Confirmed. And I agree, it's pretty annoying. Doesn't change when using different environment maps. Can't find any way to disable it, either. This is probably the result of someone requesting a spotlight/direct light in the viewport and it makes matters worse for all other users.

Ah, ok. But a spotlight would be nice, There should just be a "light" object somewhere in the tree to edit/remove... Maybe not by default.... It would help for the rendering side to have actual light objects etc....

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, ok. But a spotlight would be nice, There should just be a "light" object somewhere in the tree to edit/remove... Maybe not by default.... It would help for the rendering side to have actual light objects etc....

You can add lights in the Render room, by clicking the ADD LIGHT button. Granted, the user cannot see it...just the effect of it, as you change it's angle and height. I do with Andrew would add the ability to see the light object and manipulate it with a gizmo.

But having a spotlight added to the viewport with no way to control it, is a bummer, for sure. Hope that gets fixed ASAP

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

-

This looks very interesting.

- BIG ONE: Baking multiple useful maps in Paint room->Textures->Light baking tool

- IMPORTANT (main reason of this build): fixed white spot issue

- Sculpt room : Geometry : Retopo mesh->Sculpt mesh

- Retopo: Update Paint Mesh with Retopo Mesh, it replaces geometry in paint room with retopo mesh

- updated installer. It registers Coat as usual program, it is now possible to uninstall each build from "Programs and components", each build has own place in start menu.

- Raul's tools included - QuadPaint etc. Pay attention that it are essentially BETA tools. Enable them with Prefs->Show beta tools + reboot.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I had it and went from DX to OpenGL. Open GL is all fixed now and doesn't do that with the white spot

• Advanced Member

- BIG ONE: Baking multiple useful maps in Paint room->Textures->Light baking tool

- IMPORTANT (main reason of this build): fixed white spot issue

- Sculpt room : Geometry : Retopo mesh->Sculpt mesh

- Retopo: Update Paint Mesh with Retopo Mesh, it replaces geometry in paint room with retopo mesh

- updated installer. It registers Coat as usual program, it is now possible to uninstall each build from "Programs and components", each build has own place in start menu.

Fixed white spot! I also like the side-by-side installation now.

• Reputable Contributor

Some cool updates since I been away... B)  B)

Not a lot of art since I been taking a break but lots of deep thoughts about life which is a form of painting, not on a regular canvas but the canvas of the mind....

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Yip. Testing out the light baking tool. Really nice when working in with layers and blending lights. Is it right that you can only bake one light from the render room at a time? I think if you could have a check box for which lights you want to include on the bake ( or is this the Camera_Target check box meant to do this? ) At the moment I'm removing the environment light completely to isolate the light source and bake these light sources to layers ( repositioning the light source for each layer ). The alpha option is nice too - i would say it needs a hard edge dial to make the shadow fall off editable.... nice stuff :)

• Contributor

Ooh! This just came out right in time. Thanks, Pilgway Team! It will come in handy with DOTA-like textures.

• Like 1

• Contributor

On quad paint.

Left click and drag to place lines , right click to move / change its position.

If right click a point onto another one it deletes it.

Brush radius defines the amout of divisions (low poly or high poly result) on a line.

Tension is tension lol.

Hybrid tries to find the best possible solution , direct creates cleaner quad results.

Check also his videos (bet you did it allready , but i said to reply anyway ;) )

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

• Contributor

I think its not working yet.

Playing / using quad paint since .38 and it randomly crashes 3dc. Just save a lot .

Indeed, it just crashed.

I'll play with it tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep now. :)

Edited by ajz3d

3D-Coats "Export To" function is broken in version 4.5.37 and newer. It no longer generates an export.txt file which is needed by applinks, only "Open In Original App" still works correctly.

Version 4.5.36 and older are fine from my tests.

Hi! At first, thanks for making max applink!

Where do you expect the import.txt should appear when Export To used?

If you creating the file run.txt in

Docs/3D-CoatV4/Exchange/3D-Max/

then export.txt will be created in that folder if Export To -> 3D-Max used

In general I recommend to tweak how plugin works with Exchange folder. The problem is that each new version changes workfolder and AppLinks are not working.

So I introduced new universal folder for exchange:

Docs/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/

Could be good to update appling to use this one. Anyway, old way should works as well, but could be good to move to new folder gradually.

• Like 1