3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Could you please after press clone BUT before press apply move the faces a little ? ty

shooting in the dark, because Is working fine in 4.5.40 fresh install (on my comp)

//edit

Works new layer auto-creating  with source Retopo layer clone?

yes

Guest pnog
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Could you please after press clone BUT before press apply move the faces a little ? ty

I've already tried that. Nothing changes. Faces moved, not cloned.

Have you looked my video? The video shows the bug for a certain condition of layer names.

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

shooting in the dark, because Is working fine in 4.5.40 fresh install (on my comp)

What exactly works?

Edited by pnog

• Advanced Member

Bas Relief Coefficient

Andrew, since V4 the coefficient setting in the bas relief tool that previously worked with v3 has no effect.

I noticed that in V4.5 you have introduced a taper facility - this however is not the same as using the taper facility when setting the coefficient higher than 1 as it once worked in v3.

I would appreciated it when new features are added that you ensure that previous feature functionality is also maintained.

Could you please take a look at the coefficient control in v3 and bring it back.

Many thanks.

Guest pnog
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

//edit

yes

I'm used Win7 Home Ext. 64 bit.

3D-Coat 4.5.40 (DX64), 3D-Coat 4.5.37 (DX64)

New Retopo layer not created by layer cloning.

Edited by pnog

Guest pnog
14 hours ago, Carlosan said:

First back up, and then remove %USERPROFILE%\Documents\3D-CoatV45\ToolsPresets directory and see if it helps. Restore the directory if it doesn't.

I completely reinstall the program:

1. Uninstall 3D-Coat.

2. Reboot computer.

3. Download "4.5.40 - 64bit" from 3dcoat.com/download/ (from "EU" server).

4. Install "4.5.40 - 64bit"

Then check Retopo layer clone functionality again:

Nothing has changed. 

Please check my video.

https://youtu.be/ywQs5lwUIFc

Video Explanations:

First, I checked whether the new layer is created or not by cloning: Not. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

Second, I renamed the source Retopo layer to "TEST" and clone this layer again. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

Third, I renamed newly created layer to "TEST1" and then clone my source layer ("TEST") again. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

But this time source layer ("TEST") CLEARED! It's NOT OK! It's a bug.

Edited by pnog

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, pnog said:

I completely reinstall the program:

1. Uninstall 3D-Coat.

2. Reboot computer.

3. Download "4.5.40 - 64bit" from 3dcoat.com/download/ (from "EU" server).

4. Install "4.5.40 - 64bit"

Then check Retopo layer clone functionality again:

Nothing has changed. 

Please check my video.

https://youtu.be/ywQs5lwUIFc

Video Explanations:

First, I checked whether the new layer is created or not by cloning: Not. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

Second, I renamed the source Retopo layer to "TEST" and clone this layer again. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

Third, I renamed newly created layer to "TEST1" and then clone my source layer ("TEST") again. А new layer not created, and must be created manually. It's OK! No problem with this!

But this time source layer ("TEST") CLEARED! It's NOT OK! It's a bug.

It's a bug only in the latest build. It worked properly before, so if it is a major impediment for you at the moment, you can install a previous build. I had encountered and reported this problem before you mentioned it, so hopefully, Andrew will have this fixed in the next build. I was just trying to suggest a temporary work-around, til then.

• Like 1

Hi!

Generally it is not a bug, but it really leads to user's misunderstood. Geometry will be merged to same layer.
In next build cloned geometry will be placed to new layer.

Andrew
  • Like 1

• Contributor
On 16/5/2016 at 4:07 PM, carrots said:
light baking tool bakes all lights of the rendering room.
Option camera_targer turns light with the camera.

SSS parameters:
  SSScattering.png
SSSClarity.pngSSSFLW.png

What is the best practice for lights from render room?

Meaning , i want to get the same result i see in the render room.

From Color blending Standard i set to screen , pin light , overlay but result is not the same.

Any tips?

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Michaelgdrs said:

What is the best practice for lights from render room?

Meaning , i want to get the same result i see in the render room.

From Color blending Standard i set to screen , pin light , overlay but result is not the same.

Any tips?

Thank you.

I tried to get with Volodya (Carrots) about this, recently, but got no response back.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Works like a charm , multiply was not included in my tests but as carrots says , it works great.

Was using screen and 2 other blends combo , and it was so simple to do with just multily lol.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Works like a charm , multiply was not included in my tests but as carrots says , it works great.

Was using screen and 2 other blends combo , and it was so simple to do with just multily lol.

And SSS? If you already have some color texture done, how do you blend them together when SSS uses Emission blending mode?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

And SSS? If you already have some color texture done, how do you blend them together when SSS uses Emission blending mode?

32 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Correct , for SSS i am using Emission and multiply / screen in some cases i need to bring it up a bit more.

To save the emission SSS effect and coloring of the object, you can use option "Luminance To Alpha"

SSS.png

• Like 3

• Contributor

Is Clone tool in retopo room broken in 4.5.40? I cannot clone faces to a new retopo group any more. They stay in their initial group. This means that if I don't translate them to a new location after entering the tool, faces are stacked on top of their original versions.

---

Okay, I just noticed that it was already mentioned.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin, I'm having some problems with Global Uniform algorithm failing to unwrap some areas of my character, even though it does a fine job unwrapping other parts with the exact same topology.

Here it doesn't like the pinky finger, but other fingers which have the same topology unwrap correctly:

gu_problems.png

The underside island of the pinky finger also unwraps incorrectly:

gu_problems2.png

It's not limited to this particular model. I often notice weird GU unwrapping errors with other cylindrical shapes.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor
38 minutes ago, zoic said:

Im playing with 4.5.40 beta and dont see new retopo functions as quad paint from Farsthary

, its not included in this version or im doing something wrong?

Screenshot_20.png

Go to the EDIT Menu > PREFERENCES and under the General tab, there should be a check box for SHOW BETA TOOLS. Make sure that is checked, and you should now see them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ajz3d said:

@Andrew Shpagin, I'm having some problems with Global Uniform algorithm failing to unwrap some areas of my character, even though it does a fine job unwrapping other parts with the exact same topology.

Here it doesn't like the pinky finger, but other fingers which have the same topology unwrap correctly:

I think the issue is that polygon at the end, it's trying to spread it flat but doesn't know what what to do with that one.

unwrap_01.jpg

I suggest making some seams here:

unwrap_02.jpg

• Like 1

IMPORTANT BUG in retopo room:

Move selected faces to the current layer is buggy!

Please fix this asap.

Faces will be moved, but are still connected to the source layer.

It is really important. Thank you!

• Contributor
11 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I think the issue is that polygon at the end, it's trying to spread it flat but doesn't know what what to do with that one.

unwrap_01.jpg

I suggest making some seams here:

unwrap_02.jpg

Yes, they do make the island unwrap without errors, but at the same time I'm left with two seams in place where I don't want them. Other fingers, which have THE EXACTLY SAME topology unwrap correctly without the need of inserting additional seams.

• Contributor
On 14 czerwiec 2016 at 9:10 PM, philnolan3d said:

Of course you can always adjust it manually. It would only take a few seconds to correct this.

I think you will agree with me, Phil, that every extra (normally unnecessary) step you need to perform during each iteration of asset creation has a negative impact on the whole pipeline. A few seconds here, then another few seconds, and another... When you need to do multiple iterations, it stacks up into minutes and hours and is prone to user error. Heh, it's comparable to painting out normal map errors in Photoshop after each bake, a relict from old times.

GU algorithm is great, but there are some situations where it fails. In the particular case of those two islands, it would be better if maybe 3DC offered some choice for the "areas of doubt" whether they should be unwrapped fully with GU, best-plane-projection, or averaged between those algorithms. Or maybe some minor tweak to the code would be enough to fix that.