Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

2,978 posts in this topic

Aren't they directly translatable as in 100% equals 1 and 50% equals .5?

So i think it would be nice to have a color swatch panel like in photoshop and store all the important colour tone that fits the Pbr chart made by sebastien Lagarde or whatever you want. n the state I can create an image and pickup the color from there, but honeslty that 's not really confortable to pickup the value from an image.

it could look like that with fast tooltip when the cursor hover the items :

http://puu.sh/dIYUh/6f1eaf9a11.png

there is, Windows-pop ups-Color Swatches..there you can load a .aco pbr palette made in photoshop .

there is, Windows-pop ups-Color Swatches..there you can load a .aco pbr palette made in photoshop .

how i could have forget that ;x

thx artman ;)

well great but without the possibility to real the name of the items make it just  impossible to determane which item corresponds to what type of materials.

http://puu.sh/dJ3oi/915ed53a07.png

Bug with 4.5 beta 2 :

you can't see  glossiness when a layer is in a folder

4.5 deserve a new environment palette, with quick controls to change image gamma.
why not Ctrl + click outsite the model to rotate the environment, like in Substance painter ? 

Bug with 4.5 beta 2 :

4.5 deserve a new environment palette, with quick controls to change image gamma.

why not Ctrl + click outsite the model to rotate the environment, like in Substance painter ? 

If you watched Javis' first tutorial, he showed how to rotate the environment in the Navigation bar (upper right part of the viewport > 3rd icon from the left)

+1 

Can anyone confirm that "Dot Stroke" E-panel mode in the Sculpt room doesn't work as it was intended?

The description says:

Dot Stroke. Apply the current Brush with discreet dots.

Dot spacing depends on the speed of your stroke.

But it places only one dot, and movement of the cursor affects the speed with which this dot disappears. :wacko:

I dont have ever used that Dot Stroke, but yes it looks like it wont works correctly as the description says.

1 person likes this

Thanks for checking, Malo.

---

There's a nasty UI bug that prevents opening numerical edit boxes in some popup windows. The "hotspot" in Brush Options window seems to be a little bit off its position and way too small. Opening edit boxes of Layer Blending window is almost impossible.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1700

Is it intentional that neither metalness, colour nor Height/Colour Limiter are remembered by brush presets in the Paint Room?

Bug with 4.5 beta 2 :

+1 

I think it sounds like a good idea to have a palette for environments, but using CTRL as the default hotkey would cause some problems with the way I paint and sculpt. I turn off navigation without the ALT key so I can paint/sculpt in the viewport, by starting strokes off the objects, sometimes inverted with the CTRL key. I use ALT only for navigation, not without.

Anyway, I like the idea, but please, not the CTRL key. Any other non-modifier key would be fine.

Aren't they directly translatable as in 100% equals 1 and 50% equals .5?

0.5 =  128 128 128 but if i know i need  to paint  96 96 96  or what ever I want that is not easy to compute mentally , how can i know which value i must to use ? i take my calculator ?

i hate to calculated percentage but this is the math to get the right value  if you need to paint stricly this value (RGB :96 96 96).

96 / 256 * 100 = 37.5%

What could be very nice to have in 3d coat, is that input value could compute basic math or automatically transform that value into percentage for metalness and gloss.

And that could be useful when it come to move any object with transform tool in voxel room.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

I did manage to get something exported but I cannot figure out how to apply my textures in Carrara to make it look like the model in 3dcoat.. How would one export a pbr painted model to Maya or Max? Is it possible . If someone can do that maybe I can extrapolate that method for Carrara.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything you can do with the metalness workflow, you can do with the specular workflow.

I've written an article that covers the difference between the two workflows here:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

In fact, you can easily convert textures meant for the metalness workflow to the specular workflow, with near identical results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture Conversion: Metalness -> Specular

Converting to the specular workflow from the metalness workflow is easy as well. We simply need to split the diffuse and specular information from the albedo map into explicit diffuse and specular textures.

metaltospec01.jpg

Diffuse Map

• Load your albedo map into Photoshop
  • Create a new fill layer that is black (#000000)
  • Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer

Specular Map

• Make a duplicate of the original albedo map and move it above the fill layer
  • Create another fill layer with a value of #383838
  • Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer
  • Invert the layer mask

Ta for that! It looks a bit complicated for me,but I guess once you have worked through it a couple of time it will be come clearer.

I figured out a Carrara way that has worked to my satisfaction.

I used  a Carrara metal shader with what Carrara calls  a "multichannel mixer" . Basically mix a metal layer with a paint layer with a mask ( made from the paint layer converted to gray scale/b and w)

So in reality I guess to do this I dont technically need to use PBR ,I could use any colour in Coat for my metal layer, because I would be just replacing it with Carrara Metal later. But it is nice to see what it looks like in metal whilst painting in Coat.

I used this method for my "Space Girl" picture in my gallery. I will post a close up soon. Also I "cheated" a bit by doing a "metal render layer" and using Photoshop to erase the top layer to reveal the metal underneath.( Keep it simple!)

1 person likes this

In 4.5 beta 2, export diffuse color export a dimmed version of the diffuse map.
Export all layers color works fine 

Hello! Not sure the correct I chose the topic, but I think perhaps you should add the ability to copy a layer from one material to another. Something like this post-38043-0-39435000-1419790535_thumb.j

https://yadi.sk/i/5RckIvJIdg4Hq

Edited by Cleitus

Has anyone noticed that Flat Colour and Glossiness Only view modes are pretty much useless now? They don't represent what they supposed to.

Take a look at this example:

Smooth Shade:

post-12523-0-03669900-1419866451_thumb.j

Flat Colour:

post-12523-0-06582100-1419866454_thumb.j

Glossiness Only:

post-12523-0-58510900-1419866456_thumb.j

On all three images we have:

In the upper row (counting from the left): 100% glossiness / 100% metalness and 0% glossiness / 100% metalness.

The middle row: 100% glossiness / 0% metalness and 0% glossiness / 0% metalness.

The bottom row: 50% glossiness / 100% metalness and 50% glossiness / 0% metalness.

First of all, Flat Colour displays black colour for areas with 100% metalness.

Then, there's almost no distinguishable difference between 100% glossiness and 50% glossiness on the Glossiness Only view.

Lastly, 100% glossiness does not appear as white, and 0% glossiness does not appear as black on the Glossiness Only view. They are all in darker or lighter grey.

Edited by ajz3d

Has anyone noticed that Flat Colour and Glossiness Only view modes are pretty much useless now? They don't represent what they supposed to.

Take a look at this example:

Smooth Shade:

attachicon.gifsmooth_shade.jpg

Flat Colour:

attachicon.gifflat_colour.jpg

Glossiness Only:

attachicon.gifglossiness_only.jpg

On all three images we have:

In the upper row (counting from the left): 100% glossiness / 100% metalness and 0% glossiness / 100% metalness.

The middle row: 100% glossiness / 0% metalness and 0% glossiness / 0% metalness.

The bottom row: 50% glossiness / 100% metalness and 50% glossiness / 0% metalness.

First of all, Flat Colour displays black colour for areas with 100% metalness.

Then, there's almost no distinguishable difference between 100% glossiness and 50% glossiness.

Lastly, 100% glossiness does not appear as white, and 0% glossiness does not appear as black on the Glossiness Only view. They are all in darker or lighter grey.

I reported this to Andrew in my alpha testing report,hopefully a solution will appear until final build.

1 person likes this

Another bug: Moving PBR Materials from one folder to another causes them to completely vanish from 3DC. I've found no way to retrieve them. In one instance I had one resurface later (days later) for no apparent reason.

rename a new pbr mat tab or delete an old mat folder = trouble

rename a new pbr mat tab or delete an old mat folder = trouble

Yeah, serious trouble. Don't delete or rename folders. I'll put a notice on the main post for this.