3DCoat Forums

Marmoset ToolBag 2

• Advanced Member

I just noticed this on offer today( 30 %). So I downloaded the 30 day trial. Seems reasonably straight forward , even for me.......But when I import  a normal map ( made in 3dcoat) it just crashes everytime .

Any one use this software or got any knowledge ? ( I used Maya NM in Coat and selected same for Toolbag import)

I noticed Phil Nolans name on  an old forum,.....he/you were not having much luck with it.

Anyway, it is 30 percent off today.

Edit:  Seems it does not like PNG images ,I managed to make it not crash by converting to JPG.

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Created a normal map in 3DCoat, export as png, load into Marmoset Toolbag 2.... works fine.

Never had any crashes with Marmoset Toolbag since I started using it since version 1. I wonder if its something else. Were you using the default shader and plug it into the surface tab to the right?

Marmoset 2 is a great piece of software, worth every penny.

• Advanced Member

I can load a jpg normal map just fine, Png  is an instant crash.... I tried the default and a new shader. 

Just tried Targa, that was fine also.

No big deal I suppose.Now I know it is usable .

I missed the offer deadline, but I wouldnt be using it seriously for now anyway. Ive got the 30 day demo ,so I will dip in and out  for a bit. Its just one of those mysteries.

• Advanced Member

I bought Toolbag 2 the last time it was on sale, but I haven't been able to find much for tutorials. It would certainly be great if someone would make a video of 3DC to toolbag2 workflow.

• Advanced Member

I bought Toolbag 2 the last time it was on sale, but I haven't been able to find much for tutorials. It would certainly be great if someone would make a video of 3DC to toolbag2 workflow.

There really isnt much need for tutorials, as the application is extremely simple to use... they do go over the basics on their website though.

For the nitty gritty info though ( as well as help, feature requests..ect), there's an official section on Polycount for it: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Edited by RabenWulf

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

This should get you started.

Here are the settings I used for Export Objects and Textures from 3D Coat

3DC_settings.jpg

and these are the setting I used in Toolbag

Toolbag_settings.jpg

For a surface like wood I would set the Texure export/import workflow to Gloss/Color Specular and in Toolbag set Reflectivity to Specular Map.

Edited by bisenberger
  • Like 2