Taros

Taros doodles

121 posts in this topic

Hi folks.

My memory limit of 3 Gbytes...(!) let me not continue with skulpting, but I've started to retopo my model and plan to texture it later. The foots needs some adjustmets, too.

Following a wip.

Be creative

Chris

post-955-1240567623_thumb.jpg

post-955-1240567633_thumb.jpg

post-955-1240567643_thumb.jpg

Hi folks.

My memory limit of 3 Gbytes...(!) let me not continue with skulpting, but I've started to retopo my model and plan to texture it later. The foots needs some adjustmets, too.

Following a wip.

Be creative

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm a nooby and have not taken up voxel sculpting yet but I am interested in your work flow. I gather that

1. you create the object with sculpting.

2. you retopo to get a mesh.

3. merge the mesh back into the scene?

4. create texture.

5. export texture

Does that look correct?

Gorgeous silver back, BTW!

Hi Chris, I'm a nooby and have not taken up voxel sculpting yet but I am interested in your work flow. I gather that

1. you create the object with sculpting.

2. you retopo to get a mesh.

3. merge the mesh back into the scene?

4. create texture.

5. export texture

Does that look correct?

Gorgeous silver back, BTW!

Absolutely correct workflow summary. :)

Before I paint the texture, I create uv-coordinates in 3DC. 3DC offers the possibility to do it automaticly, too. But I prefer the manual method. I could set the texture coordinates in Softimage, too, but 3DC offers good tools and I save time. Otherwise I must export the model and reimport it again for painting.

Alpha 83 CUDA: A current test to make sharp edges on objects.

I guess, the scrape tool is the better flatten tool... The flatten tool is currently too slow, and produces bugs.

post-955-1242323836_thumb.jpg

I'm a little curious Taros, are you running in the GL or Cuda version 3DCoat, i'm wondering if Cuda will have better performance ?

I realize the need to go to 64bit, i myself am on the journey to 64 bit, but as you mentioned why do it when you have a good running machine, for me i will by a an extra system, 64bit, for the explicit purpose of installing software such as 3DCoat, Photoshop, 3DS Max and so on. I want to keep the other pc for trialling software and maybe using as a render farm + general daily tasks :)

I'm a little curious Taros, are you running in the GL or Cuda version 3DCoat, i'm wondering if Cuda will have better performance ?

I realize the need to go to 64bit, i myself am on the journey to 64 bit, but as you mentioned why do it when you have a good running machine, for me i will by a an extra system, 64bit, for the explicit purpose of installing software such as 3DCoat, Photoshop, 3DS Max and so on. I want to keep the other pc for trialling software and maybe using as a render farm + general daily tasks :)

Your question: Yes, I'am working in CUDA-mode only. It is twice as fast as without cuda. I use a GForce 8800 GTS with 512MB RAM.

Yes, this will be the same what I will do. I plan to buy a new PC and this one will have a 64 bit system and probably two intel xeon processors. But the minimum will be a 64 bit system, with 8 Gbytes of Ram, hopefully 16 GBytes. The new one will be my next workstation.

Regards

Chris

Alpha 83 CUDA: A current test to make sharp edges on objects.

I guess, the scrape tool is the better flatten tool... The flatten tool is currently too slow, and produces bugs.

Yoshimitsu? ;)

For sharp edges try the "vox pinch" tool.

Yoshimitsu? ;)

For sharp edges try the "vox pinch" tool.

Yoshimitsu??? :drinks:

I know the vox pinch, but it solves not all... ;)

Yoshimitsu??? :drinks:

I know the vox pinch, but it solves not all... ;)

OK, here's a sneaky tip then :) I use the "extrude tool" with a pointy brush (curved profile) and extrude the edge a little, then use vox pinch on it - try it :D

Cheers!

Ren

I like that character Taros.Is he a mushroom guy?Would be cool to see this painted with many clones in a scene, maybe with several different expressions.

Good luck with your new machine!I built mine about 6 months ago and it's made quite a difference with Coats performance.

A result from yesterday evening. I've tested the current release candidate.

Regards

Chris

post-955-1244010924_thumb.jpg

A weekend doodle. About 4 hours till now. I promise, I will skulpt him to the end, but I don't know when... I didn't forgot my gorilla model, it will be finished, as soon as I have my new PC, expected at the end of this year.

Makes fun. :)

By the way: the Zentaur-model is sculpted completely in 3DC, without any basemesh.

post-955-1246263695_thumb.jpg

Good start on the centaur.

Thanx. As soon as I have some sparetime, I will continue with the legs... I've began to early with details. :)

Started to build the legs... needed some "relaxation" from my job. Had a creative blocade in my current job task, but after thirty minutes 3DC everything was ok. :)

I will modify the proportions later, I think. The charakter should represent "speed". But I will skale the hooves a little bit, too.

A short note for the body: It will not(!) be a Horsebody, it should be a deer. So, don't be surprised about the Legs. :)

Here is the current result:

post-955-1246371265_thumb.jpg

OK. I needed some sparetime today, so I took it... Following you see the result from today.

I am very pleased with the proportions now. The next step will be a muscle check and then I will switch to the next resolution level. The details are waiting, like the face and so on.

Regards from germany

Chris

zentaur08.jpg

1 person likes this

It's going on... but I make a break for today.

I have to correct the waist, too much... EDIT: corrected this morning. :) Image ist updated.

zentaur09.jpg

1 person likes this

If someone is interested in the workflow:

- No basemesh at the start

- Used exclusively 3DCoat tools

- For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

- I've used the cut&clone tool for the hooves

- The details are done in first case with the build tool and smoothing

The next step are more details and the face.

Regards from germany

Chris

If someone is interested in the workflow:

- No basemesh at the start

- Used exclusively 3DCoat tools

- For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

- I've used the cut&clone tool for the hooves

- The details are done in first case with the build tool and smoothing

The next step are more details and the face.

Regards from germany

Chris

excellent centaur bull model. besides the brush tools, do you use masking tools, subtools in your workflow?

excellent centaur bull model. besides the brush tools, do you use masking tools, subtools in your workflow?

Thank you.

No, not needed so far.

There is a lot of work to do, but I am very motivated this time. It is my first complex sculpt. I've never sculpted complex models before, just tests. One of the reasons was the missing sparetime and I don't like basemesh building and then skulpting, to much work. The voxel possibility in 3DC opens a new workflow for me. :)

That's looking really good so far!

For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

Do you find the curves tool a little difficult to work with? I've also used it for the base shape but have found it to be rather touchy, especially scaling.

Thanks for sharing your workflow.

Update: I changed the horns. I decided to change the charakter into a Gazelle-like man. He have to represent "speed" and "pride". And maybe a little bit "kingly".

Be patient for more updates.

Thanx

Chris

gazelleman01.jpg

I really like this project. It's getting better and better every day. Are you using only a one layer. What is you voxel count right now?

I really like this project. It's getting better and better every day. Are you using only a one layer. What is you voxel count right now?

Thanx.

Yes, I am using only one layer, currently. I try to stay disciplined and use the voxel level carefully. I am trying to define the entire(!) model-shape as near as possible, before I increase the voxel res.

Pointers: 58 930

Tris: 1 324 004

Regards

Chris

die Muskeln des Zentaurs gefallen mir sehr gut! Sieht super aus. Nur etwas an der Nase st?rt mich, ich kann noch nicht mal genau sagen was <_<

Der Gorilla rockt auch :blink: