3DCoat Forums

leap motion sensor

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

Was just watching a video about them using the leap motion sensor to navigate in 3d in google earth.

Then remembered someone saying how they love using the connexion device in 3d coat while painting.

What are the chances of using a leap motion sensore for viewport navigation in 3d coat?

• Like 1

• Contributor

For navigating the viewport it could be very helpful! Just wave your hand or gently move it while sculpting.

A very interesting peripheral device, and much cheaper than even the lowest-end of 3DConnection devices, like SpaceNavigator.

I'd like to see this in some 3D-Coat action video. :)

• Advanced Member

this is the wrong way to implement it... for anyone thinking of developing.

I think the best way to integrate would be as a connexion replacement. no need to use it as a mouse.

• Contributor

1)Lift your arm 20 cm hover your desktop.

2)Move your arm like you're manipulating your 3dmodel.

3)Do that for one hour

4)You look like a morron and you're hurting your shoulder/arms.

You're welcome.

My SpaceNavigator is gathering dust, and yet it's still an ergonomic device... so the leap... AHAHAHAHA.

I'm a d*** here, but this discussion keeps popping up with different people and it seems no one is considering the ergonomic factor, everyone fall for the cool factor while the user experience is flawed to the core.

There's a reason we need supports, we're not built to have our arm raised and waiving in the air for long duration, hell even having your elbow flexed for a long time repeatedly (arm on keyboard and mouse/stylus in the other so basicaly everyone working in computer graphics) is hurting yourself !

I mean if this was a no brainer we would all have interaction gloves for a very long time at the very least if not better (remember the power glove during the Nintendo Entertainment System era,  yeah, that long )... that's not a technological issue, but a physiological one.

• Advanced Member

my elbow rests on table while i work. hand on keyboard. I think lifting just forearm up to rotate model could work. might get some getting used to.

Painters hold their hands in the air all the time. no big deal.

but yeah, maybe its useless... it doesnt seem to be taking off.. its been around for a while now... maybe you're right.

Im still getting one for the tracking, so i can use it to animate. ( not sure how good that will work either, but seems like fun stuff to play with)

http://brekel.com/brekel-pro-hands/

Sorry but no

all painters use a mahl stick

Gettysb10062936g-Mahlstick.jpg

the bad deal with this new technology is... that is sloooooooow

may be soon we can get better performance/capture sensibility, but for now... for an artist... and for daily work, i cant see any advantage ower any wacom.

• Contributor

Sorry but no

all painters use a mahl stick

Gettysb10062936g-Mahlstick.jpg

the bad deal with this new technology is... that is sloooooooow

may be soon we can get better performance/capture sensibility, but for now... for an artist... and for daily work, i cant see any advantage ower any wacom.

I don't see any advancement compensating our natural wiggling of hands/wrist/arm.

We use support such as the one you posted to keep those to a minimum, to avoid muscle fatigue AND keep a relatively steady hand.

You'll NEVER have a more precise control over something that you can't touch and therefore get force feedback from, than something that may look as antiquated as a pen an tablet that offers arm rest and a physical feedback (albeit a wrong one that's true).

This is not a technological problem.

I've used a phantom haptic device for a few month a few years back as a test run for the company I work for, it was nice, yet it was still a bit unpractical: you gained feedback you let go of the keyboard a bit, BUT you still hurt your wrist cause you twist it in unatural ways to get the proper angles.

There's technicaly NO device on the market right now that is as precise and healthy as pen tablet, and I honestly have trouble imagining one that would keep our members in a healthy posture while retaining precision advantage, that will be significantly better than the tablet/keyboard combo.

To be perfectly honest I don't see the tablet/keyboard disappearing anytime soon, there'll be evolution, small changes, but they probably won't go away before we get some neural interaction (which would render member use obsolete), but that's a looong road.

As for the keyboard it's still the better option as it provide quick functionality with a relatively healthy use.

And don't talk about carpal tunnel syndrome, trust me I'm familiar with it all too well...and that's why I now place ergonomics above all and why I'm so critical of all those gadgets.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is a year old topic,
and yet I do feel that leap motion has lots of potential.
has anyone try to use it in 3D Coat it would be really cool to see a in live action. I don't think this is just a simple aspect and since I am left-handed I do not enjoy just having a mouse. In my humble opinion I believe this is the true future and it will take things at a higher level especially when the screen starts evolving as well. I'm really curious to know if anyone has this particular item and could maybe even give me a glimpse of how they are using it in 3-D coat. I've seen it being used in Corel Painter, Z brush, and maya.I know it might sound strange, but if you always use your arms just in one certain direction without moving them except to crack your fingers or to stretch then your body muscle will reduce itself. That's why you are encouraged to go to the fitness for example. It's the same as if you would be talking to somebody and you will be showing them gestures and most likely you will be using your hands if you are a person who enjoys explaining stuff with their hands. I do..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Have it for development , tried it in most of my software 3D Coat included.

Not for this job , sorry for "destroying" your hopes but it just doesn't cut it.

But it works in 3D Coat. That is the good part. 

thanks for the reply!

• Like 1