3DCoat Forums

ZBrush 4R7 released

JimB

Beat was broadcasting on twitch earlier today, showing some of the new stuff. I'm impressed with R7. He was at 60 million polygons and there was no difference in performance compared to 2 million.

• Advanced Member

T'is a thing of great beauty and a gift to the world.

Phone in sick , you couldn't come to work today. You were in your pajamas all day with something awful - something awfully good.

The Wizard has the Munchkins in his spell and Oz is all a twitter .

(fade to sound of a cat purring loudly )

• Advanced Member

Remember when Dragonheart was released? They had to cut Draco into pieces and load em up in Softimage because he was too big for Maya and also too big to work on all at once.

At the time he weighted around 150k-200k polys (If memory serves.).. Now we're pushing tens of millions.. Just amazing!

I'm hearing the new modelling tools are "endless" and that no other modeling program can touch it, not even maya or modo.

I think they are pretty cool, but I definitely wouldn't go that far. They seemed a little unintuitive, compared to Modo. My opinion of course. :) I did like a lot of the functionality though, I've often wanted some of those functions they implemented.

• Advanced Member

4r7 really is awesome.

It amazes me that I can work with such a huge amount of polys.

The new basemesh modelling tools are rapid but will take a bit of getting used to.

I wish they would make a GUI for zmodeler, imo it would make it much easier to use.

• Reputable Contributor

Nanomesh in Zbrush is almost taking on some of Houdini's workflow..

http://cgpress.org/archives/zbrush-4r7-new-features-videos.html

They take the use of polygon as particles then turning them back into polygons and turn that into a art creation system. Nothing new about using polygons as particles or turning them into real polygons but designing it for art creation inside Zbrush really looks nice... My interest in Zbrush as a companion to 3DC is increasing plus hopefully one day we will get a particle system for 3DC...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing the new modelling tools are "endless" and that no other modeling program can touch it, not even maya or modo.

They're very good, but I wouldn't go that far.

I'm still reading through the documentation and experimenting, but so far the main problems I've run into are:

-No support for N-Gons (sort of like old versions of Blender)

-No way to perfectly flatten a surface (scale to zero or equivalent)

-No component snapping (there's some specific to certain tools, but no general purpose way using Move/Transpose to snap one component to another on one or two axis).

-Turning on/off dynamic subdivision is part of the undo stack (not a major issue, but annoying.)

Edited by PolyHertz

-No way to perfectly flatten a surface (scale to zero or equivalent)

Like this? Make temp poly group by ALT-clicking polys, then ALT-click bottom circle (the one with the widget) on the MOVE transpose tool.....works in both sculpt and zModeler. Learned it when I was browsing through Candyfloss Kid´s 3D-Coat and ZBrush videos....so thanks to him.  :)

post-4013-0-69275400-1423558769_thumb.jp

Edited by Veehoy

• Advanced Member

IMO, ZBRush screams for a scriptable GUI system.

Prefer the Mudbox interface paradigm, load the script\icons.. boom, ZB now looks like MB.

At the same time you could create (or someone else would for sure) your GUI for the modeling tools.