3DCoat Forums

Modo 801/901 PBR Material Rig for 3D-Coat PBR Textures

Javis

Hey everyone! Here's a rig I made during beta to use with PBR texture maps. I meant to get it out right after launch, but I've been a little preoccupied. ;)

post-1232-0-53106100-1433894388.jpg

It supports diffuse color/albedo, gloss/roughness and metalness. For good measure there is also a spot for normal maps already set, but if you don't need/want it, simply delete it from the shader tree.

For usage, just double click the preset, it'll add a material group to the shader tree called "3DCPBR GrpMat". Inside this group you'll find a number of layers/nodes. You want to use only the Diffuse, Metalness and Glossiness IMG nodes, and the Match 3DC/Unreal Fresnel. To apply one of your textures,select the appropriate layer/node, go to the Textures Layers tab, and browse to your image. Once selected, make sure you also choose the right UV map that you want to apply it to from the Texture Locator tab.

Notes:
-The Match 3DC/Unreal Fresnel is provided for convenience, and is on by default. To turn it off, toggle the eye icon.
-The default for Roughness/Gloss is Roughness. If you want to use Glossiness a map, select the Gloss/Rough IMG Node, Texture Layer and turn ON Invert.
-I recommend not poking around and editing the nodes in the graph, it could break.
-Don't delete the group locator named "3DCPBR-TLocs" or "3DCPBR GrpMat" from the scene, unless you don't want it on your scene any longer.
-If you want to assign the created material group to a specific mesh/section/etc., that you've already created, drag and drop the 3DCPBR GrpMat under that material.
-You can also assign the 3DCPBR GrpMat to something else, using selecting sets, material tags, etc. directly. It's a good idea to rename the group if you've done this and plan to use multiple copies of this material preset.
-To note one more time, lighting is important! If you want to match the lighting and appearance from another application exactly, use the same HDR/EXR and settings for it, that you are in that application. Otherwise it wont appear exactly the same.
-You can use textures from applications other than 3D-Coat of course, they just need to be diffuse/albedo, glossiness/roughness & metalness

Fixed:
-An unwanted "Texture Group" group locator is created in the item list, delete this. This is a known issue and there is no known way around it at the moment.
-Material rendering black
-Naming conventions
-Changed default for Gloss/Rough to Roughness to match 3D-Coats new default

That's all there is to it. It should now render as closely as possible to 3DC/Unreal (though do note that it wont be exactly the same for a number of reasons. Namely lighting.).

The revolver mesh and textures used in the image is provided by "d1ver" over at the PolyCount forums, here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130641

Also huge thanks to Gideon Klindt, David Maas, Funk and Captain Obvious for helping with the rig and driving me it to make better. :)

Here's a download link on Google Drive. I'll be updating it occasionally, and if I do, I'll post a notice in this thread with the update info. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByesnXO2ExYDbEl1c25nZkxTZEE/view?usp=sharing

post-1232-0-04693900-1433894368_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-23153600-1433894370_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-53106100-1433894388_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the rig, uploaded a new file to the server and updated the link in the first post.

Fixed materials rendering black
Renamed the Glossiness node to Gloss/Rough (just invert for gloss, turn off invert for roughness)

Thanks!

Javis:

Here is the rub, currently, for some of us:  Steam had this incredible bundle sale for Modo and Mari (Steam Editions), for a total of $227.00.  And, although this is an unheard of deal - the Steam version of Modo is 801.

You see, many people bought this edition because of price - and, in my case, hopefully to import 3D-Coat PBR textured models into Modo for animation and rendering.

I've been somewhat successful in getting an approximation of 3D-Coat's smart materials - as they display and render within 3D-Coat - within Modo - but it is only a rough approximation.

I know a rig made specifically for 901 would be quite different than one for 801.  

Any suggestions?

Greg

• Advanced Member

Hey Denis. :)

I've got one recorded, just need to edit/produce/publish it. Do you use Modo?

Yes, I bought the indie 3 month subscription to see what's like. If all goes well I'll buy the Indie perpetual license in the fall.  

Javis:

Here is the rub, currently, for some of us:  Steam had this incredible bundle sale for Modo and Mari (Steam Editions), for a total of $227.00.  And, although this is an unheard of deal - the Steam version of Modo is 801.

You see, many people bought this edition because of price - and, in my case, hopefully to import 3D-Coat PBR textured models into Modo for animation and rendering.

I've been somewhat successful in getting an approximation of 3D-Coat's smart materials - as they display and render within 3D-Coat - within Modo - but it is only a rough approximation.

I know a rig made specifically for 901 would be quite different than one for 801.  

Any suggestions?

Greg

Hey man!

I could make a rig for 801, but it wont have the exact same look. IMHO it would be close enough. I'll run some tests to see if it works out, and if it does, I'll release it for 801 as well. :)

Yes, I bought the indie 3 month subscription to see what's like. If all goes well I'll buy the Indie perpetual license in the fall.  

Cool! I hope it works out for you. It's a pretty great tool, 3DC+Modo=Excellent companions. :)

Another quick update with a fix for roughness/gloss maps. Things render much more closely to 3DC/Unreal. A render attached to show.

Link is in the first post. Thanks!

post-1232-0-48315400-1435127017_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Javis:

Thank you, thank you  .  .  .   and I thank you!

There are some of us who are still fools enough to think we may eventually complete an entertaining piece of animation within our lifetimes.  You, my friend, are helping to make this fantasy, this dream, this  .  .  .   .   thing, a reality.

your friend,

Greg

Hey Greg! It is my pleasure. I hope you can finish your dream! Don't give up hope. :)

And my tests show that the rig works perfect fine in 801, no fuss no muss. I'm not on the Indie version, so I can't speak to that exactly, but I think it would probable be just fine there too. You can use the same rig and everything, nothing special required. Though if you want it to be close to 901, make sure to turn on Energy Conservation. Other than that, it's good to go for 801!

Javis:

Pardon my ignorance - but is your "rig" a script, by chance?  This point totally escaped me - for the "Steam" version of Modo 801 disallows scripts of all kinds.  A point of contention among the Steam community.

What an oversight! (on my part).

Greg

Nope, no script. It's a preset that you can add by browsing with the preset browser to it (best to drop it into the user directory asset folder). Then in the preset browser, double click it. You'll see a material group in the shader tree, open it and there you'll find 4 channels: diffuse color, metalness, gloss/rough and normal. You can apply your images from 3DC to those layers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this Javis, it really makes the workflow easy for 3DC Modo users.

I am having some problems in Modo 801. 

I can't get the metal effect to show on the edges ?

I'm also getting some darkening of textures and they look glossy on the rear of the engine for some strange reason.

I exported color, roughness, metalness and tangent maps from 3DC and put them in the v3.4 shader in the correct spot but don't really know what is wrong.

post-38178-0-12437800-1436529257_thumb.j

Thanks Javis

Message sent with zipped 3b file.

BTW I did solve my dark texture issue. I've never used normal maps in modo before (always bump) but found out on the modo forums you have to set the colorspace of them from default to linear which solved the dark texture issue. 

I don't know how to solve the metal effect on the edges though.

Javis, thanks very much, it now looks in modo just like I see in 3DC !

I would never have figured this out on my own.

Just for other users - there is more to getting it to look the same in Modo as it does in 3DC than just the material setup. It is also the environment image, light setup and material color spaces of each of the maps generated by 3DC. 

Javis:

Being totally new to the current versions of Modo, I really don't know how to use your rig - with all of the other adjustments that need to be made within Modo (801) to get the proper results.  I'm also a visual guy - and have trouble with just textual instructions.

Do you still plan to make a "how to" setup video for this process?

Oh, I hope so.

Greg

Hey guys! Sorry, I didn't seem to get a email message about replies to my subscribed threads today. :(

Javis, thanks very much, it now looks in modo just like I see in 3DC !

I would never have figured this out on my own.

Just for other users - there is more to getting it to look the same in Modo as it does in 3DC than just the material setup. It is also the environment image, light setup and material color spaces of each of the maps generated by 3DC. 

I'm really glad I could help out! And yes, for certain. The environment is really important. Color space is too. For it to match between the two applications, everything has to be near perfect. :o

Javis:

Being totally new to the current versions of Modo, I really don't know how to use your rig - with all of the other adjustments that need to be made within Modo (801) to get the proper results.  I'm also a visual guy - and have trouble with just textual instructions.

Do you still plan to make a "how to" setup video for this process?

Oh, I hope so.

Greg

I do! I just need to finish editing the video and publish it. It's just been pushed in my queue down the line a little due to other projects. I will try to finish it soon. Apologies for the delay.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hey, Jarvis.

I'm trying using 3D Coat this time.

Should I set the metalness and gloss/rough to some effect of just leave it blank as it is by default? I see that the normal layer is set to normal (by the way, have to put gama in 2.2 in order to work properly).

Also, what do you think of duplicating the difuse layer and set it to Specular Color?

Hi Dimitri! Sorry, I didn't get an email about your reply to the thread.

For metalness and gloss/rough, just leave those as is. Normal layers are always set to "Normal".

For the Spec Color, It's fine to do in 3DC, but duplicating the node in Modo wont work. If you want to do that, make a new image layer manually and set it to Spec Color. That said, the attenuation will be completely different. Since Spec is analyzed before any of the other channels, it could have drastic effects and make it look, well, not very good.

Something to keep in mind. :)

How about getting the programmers to make this stuff work instead of having to figure out workarounds like this one, which might as well be greek? No offense intended as I am appreciative of your efforts javis, just a little frustrated here. :wacko:

Hey! Sorry, I guess I'm not getting email updates from this thread. Not sure why.

Anyway, I tend to agree with you! While making this preset I had to jump through a lot of hoops, I tried to make it as easy to use as possible, and it is with the current situation. But it could be easier if modo were to natively support PBR. With that I'm sure in the future of modo this will be easier. Just wish it was sooner rather than later. [emoji18]

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk