3DCoat Forums

Delete faces from Imported Polygons

kevjon

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this in 3DC.

When I import a polygon model, is there anyway to select a face or faces and delete them ?

Sometimes when uvmapping I come across polygons I don't want or need.

• Reputable Contributor

You can hide faces with Hide Poly Tool (in Paint room) and then from menu Hide choose Delete Hidden Faces Permanently

Or that way, just to delete faces...but to do some extra modeling, you can try the method I mentioned. I have aske Andrew repeatedly about trying to streamline the process of getting assets to and from workspaces that are somewhat outside the norm...such as this. 3D Coat really isn't designed to be a full-fledged modeling app...not yet anyway. It's designed mainly to facilitate a normal workflow, bringing assets in from a 3D app and painting, UV editing, sculpting or retopo. Or building from scratch in the Sculpt room > Retopo > Paint Room.

Thanks guys, I would never have figured that out without your help.

>>You can hide faces with Hide Poly Tool (in Paint room) and then from menu Hide choose Delete Hidden Faces Permanently

Thankyou kritskiy !  This is the easiest solution. At first I had problems selecting polygons because my brush was tiny but once you enlarge its size its easy and the results update in the uv room without having to re-export the model.

>>Take it into the Retopo Room by going to the Retopo Room > Retopo Menu > USE VISIBLE PAINT OBJECTS AS RETOPO > make changes to the mesh > Retopo Menu > Export. Then from the Paint Room > FILE > IMPORT > Replace Geometry

Thanks ABN, always good to have a second option, that works well also.

I have heard rumors on other forums that some modelling tools might be coming to 3DC but wait and see on that one.

To both of you these tips are very much appreciated.

Edited by kevjon