3DCoat Forums

tree321 WIP-s

tree321

• Contributor

Just awesome!! :clapping:

Something big is coming, I can smell it... :)

Not many animals on the planet are bigger than this. :lol:

Brontosaurus (Apatosaurus)

Apatosaurus , including the popular, but obsolete synonym Brontosaurus, is a genus of sauropod dinosaur. It was one of the largest land animals that ever existed, with an average length of 23 meters (75 ft) and a mass of at least 23 metric tons (25 short tons). The name Apatosaurus means 'deceptive lizard', so-given because the chevron bones were similar to those of a prehistoric marine lizard, Mosasaurus. The name Apatosaurus comes from the Greek ἀπατέλος or ἀπατέλιος meaning 'deceptive' and σαῦρος meaning 'lizard'.

Wiki.

More dinos coming soon!

post-913-1241826925_thumb.jpg

post-913-1241826942_thumb.jpg

post-913-1241826950_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Apatosaurus , including the popular, but obsolete synonym Brontosaurus, is a genus of sauropod dinosaur. It was one of the largest land animals that ever existed, with an average length of 23 meters (75 ft) and a mass of at least 23 metric tons (25 short tons). The name Apatosaurus means 'deceptive lizard', so-given because the chevron bones were similar to those of a prehistoric marine lizard, Mosasaurus. The name Apatosaurus comes from the Greek ἀπατέλος or ἀπατέλιος meaning 'deceptive' and σαῦρος meaning 'lizard'.

Wiki.

Congratulations on a job well done and the added information is most welcome! You may recall that the "Brontosaurus" (which is what I learned to call it) was the model for Windsor McKay's "Dino the Dinosaur", probably the worlds first animation.

Those are awesome Tree.

Have you got any tutorials, or would you be interested in making some, you have some great techniques and ability i would like to learn ?

• Contributor

Thanks guys.

Tony Nemo:I always new it as brontosaurus also.I think I'll still call it that.

Silentman:I would like to make some tutorials ,but think it's best to wait till 3.0 comes out so there is consistency with the interface.I'm sure there will be many to come.

• Contributor

Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus is a genus of stegosaurid armoured dinosaur from the Late "Jurassic period" (late Kimmeridgian to Early Tithonian) in what is now western North America. In 2006, a specimen of Stegosaurus was announced from Portugal, showing that they were present in Europe as well.[1] Due to its distinctive tail spikes and plates, Stegosaurus is one of the most recognizable dinosaurs, along with Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, and Apatosaurus. The name Stegosaurus means "roof-lizard" and is derived from the Greek στέγος-, stegos- ("roof") and σαῦρος, -sauros ("lizard").[2] At least three species have been identified in the upper Morrison Formation and are known from the remains of about eighty individuals.

Wiki

post-913-1241914839_thumb.jpg

post-913-1241914851_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Wonderful new pieces Tree321, really makes me want to open up 3DC and sculpt! :)

Thank you artman.My hope is inspire others to explore the wonderful creative potential of this great application, 3D-Coat.I'm addicted!I think it's a good addiction though. :)

• Contributor

Triceratops

Bearing a large bony frill and three horns on its large four-legged body, and conjuring similarities with the modern rhinoceros, Triceratops is one of the most recognizable of all dinosaurs. Although it shared the landscape with and was preyed upon by the fearsome Tyrannosaurus, it is unclear whether the two battled the way they are commonly depicted in movies, children's dinosaur books and many cartoons.

Wiki

Always been one of my favorites.I used to like drawing dinosaurs as a child.I guess I never grew up.(And really don't want to)

post-913-1242050296_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242050304_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242050313_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Wow, these are really good looking! I have a few questions - do you just use the stock pen textures that come with 3DC or have you got a pool of extra ones stashed away?

If so can you comment on your process for creating and using these. Would you say it's more of a time saver than a necessity. Do you only use a small set of pens frequently and a few rarely used custom ones?

I'm a total rookie when it comes to detailing, my voxel sculpts always seem to look "out of focus" -- is this where you'd switch to texture/displacement painting - or am I just doing the scultping wrong?

• Contributor

Hi David, thanks for the comment, I really enjoy making these.I'll try to answer your questions.

Wow, these are really good looking! I have a few questions - do you just use the stock pen textures that come with 3DC or have you got a pool of extra ones stashed away?

If so can you comment on your process for creating and using these. Would you say it's more of a time saver than a necessity. Do you only use a small set of pens frequently and a few rarely used custom ones?

Answer:I can usually get by just using the stock pens in Coat but do have a few custom pens I made in photoshop.If I have a special need for a new one I will make it in PS.Just right click on a pen in the pen pallet and click edit in ext. editor.Make a duplicate and create new pen.Custom pens can speed things up if you have a specific need for them and in some cases they are necessary.

I'm a total rookie when it comes to detailing, my voxel sculpts always seem to look "out of focus" -- is this where you'd switch to texture/displacement painting - or am I just doing the scultping wrong?

Answer:Are you using a high enough resolution on your meshes?Sharp details can only be achieved with denser meshes in voxel mode.Try to stamp the textures onto the piece instead of using brush stokes too often this can help to sharpen details.The extrude brush is good for getting sharp detail.Also don't over smooth.So far I do all of my work in voxel mode.I make heavy use of multiple layers with various density and resolution to achieve sorted effects.

Colors are done by using different mesh layers and shaders.

I hope this helps, if not feel free to ask, I will try to help.I'm hoping to do some video tutorials soon.

Take care,

Rick

• Contributor

Tyrannosaurus

Tyrannosaurus , meaning 'tyrant lizard',is a genus of theropod dinosaur. The famous species Tyrannosaurus rex ('rex' meaning 'king' in Latin), commonly abbreviated to T. rex, is a fixture in popular culture around the world. It lived throughout what is now western North America, with a much wider range than other tyrannosaurids.

Up to 13 metres (43 ft) in length, up to 4 metres (13 ft) tall at the hips, and up to 6.8 metric tons (7.5 short tons) in weight.

Wiki

I bet I could take him in a fight.

Long way to go.

Edit:Updated t rex.Changes as suggested in eye area.Thank you GED and silentman for input!

post-913-1242133281_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242133293_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242133301_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242177825_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242229691_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks for your tips. Your suggestion that I stamp brushes down rather than sliding them around is something I'll try a bit more, I haven't used the extrude brush much either - I guess I'm not patient enough, hehe. But just knowing that these were done in Voxel mode will help me to persevere. My PC isn't great when the resolution goes up, so I'll have to look into using the VoxTree.

Great T-Rex too! I'll not derail your excellent thread any further, but I would love to see some kind of tutorial if you're offering :D - even just a simple time-lapse would probably be useful to show your workflow, etc.

• Advanced Member

love the triceratops, great attention to texture and detail there, the other works are good but hes particularly good. The trex has odd eyes/eyesockets reminds me of old bmovie trex style - a little dramatic/cartoony

• Contributor
love the triceratops, great attention to texture and detail there, the other works are good but hes particularly good. The trex has odd eyes/eyesockets reminds me of old bmovie trex style - a little dramatic/cartoony

Should they be meaner looking?Less round?

Should they be meaner looking?Less round?

I did a Google search on Trex and popped into Coolirus mode Coolirus , most of the pics there show the Trex has more sunken eyes and the brow is a lot more pronounced, i think this will solve the toonish feel that some of us see in the Trex model.

As always your sculpting is awesome, i await the day to see some of your tutorials :clapping:

• Contributor

Ok, slight adjustments to eye area on T-Rex.(See Image 4 above)Remember we only have skeleton systems to work with when trying to create art of these beasts ,the muscular structure and facial expressions we see in other art is done with some science of animal anatomy and artistic interpretation.Skin texture such as scales or bumps,even facial expressions are artistic extrapolation.Remember Hollywood is not always right. :)

Anyway thanks for the feedback I do appreciate constructive criticism.Maybe I'll come back to these later.

Now you know i think your work is excellent, and my comments are always my own opinion and do not reflect upon your work whatsoever.

Hollywood may be wrong or maybe right, "in my opinion" the eyes could do with some real depth "sunken", in scientific terms, this would allow for the natural protection of the eyes. Trex has always been known as a thrashing type of beast and therefore his eyes would need that natural protection :P

The raised brow area would act the same.

And yes i'm a pain in the butt :P

• Contributor

Woolly Mammoth

The woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius), also called the tundra mammoth, is an extinct species of mammoth. This animal is known from bones and frozen carcasses from northern North America and northern Eurasia with the best preserved carcasses in Siberia.

post-913-1242193406_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242193417_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Smilodon(Sabre-toothed cat)

Smilodon , sometimes called sabre-toothed cat, is an extinct genus of large machairodontine saber-toothed cats that lived in North and South America. They are called "saber-toothed" for the extreme length of their maxillary canines. The La Brea tar pits in California trapped hundreds of Smilodon in the tar, possibly as they tried to feed on mammoths already trapped.

post-913-1242193750_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242193762_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242193770_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242193781_thumb.jpg

Love the pussy cat heh hmmm i mean saber tooth :P the muscle structure is really good :good:

I was thinking it would be great to eventually see all these in a scene, maybe action type, Trex ripping into something and so on :)

:blink: Wow! Any chance you might document your sculpting process for those of us learning 3D-Coat?

• Contributor
:blink: Wow! Any chance you might document your sculpting process for those of us learning 3D-Coat?

Hi Matt. Hopefully I can find time to do some tutorials in the near future.I know there's a demand for them.