3DCoat Forums

Brutal brush lag

Go to solution Solved by Geexile,

Hello,

I need urgent help.Today i downloaded 4.5.03 ,uninstall the beta version that i had on my PC and installed the new one . In the mean time i did get notification , that there are new Radeon drivers . And i decided to download them as well, after i install everything when i opened 3D Coat while painting textures on simple plane i have heavy brush lag , when i stop painting is okay but but when i try to paint the lag is brutal . I tried painting on every object in 3D Coat library ,and exactly the same thing . I uninstall my gpu drivers and install the old once , with no effect . I uninstalled 4.5.03 , and installed 4.5 B13A again ,no effect yet , actually i did try several 3D Coat version , but without any effect .

Before that it was working like a charm with 4.5 B13A.

My PC is with : Radeon R9 280X , 16 GB ddr3 , Core i7 4790k

Thanks

I did but nothing new . However i did find something very strange , no meter what object i open they all give me same issue ,some more than others , when i make my radius on my brush bigger is starts to get worse . And in the Smart Material Preview window, i can see the detail from normal map and AO is all distorted . However here is the strange part , only model that is okay is the Robot . When i load it , and i`m making texture resolution 4096 , i can paint without any problem and that is on 4096 , and if i load my simple plane with 1 face and i paint on 2048 with big brush is lagging like hell.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I noticed too that sometimes painting on simple objects is very laggy. I'm on OSX, GeForce GT 750M 2048MB.

Here's a video: I imported 3 spheres, first is lowpoly with one shell, second is hipoly with one shell and third is hipoly with separated shells. Painting on the third is the fastest/less laggy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/415738/slowdown.mp4

Interesting, why is it so and is it possible to fix this?

• Contributor

Exact same issue here , and solution from user 

Geexile works like a charm.

This needs to be fixed , on big one piece uv we get the lag , on small broken to pieces uvs no lag at all.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Please do not receive this issue as solved , its not solved its just a workaround and braking uvs to small pieces is not a serious pro solution.

Another workaround is subdividing lowpoly without smoothing, I'm getting up to x3 fps boost on hipoly versions of lowpoly geometry. 

But I agree, this should be fixed!

• Like 1

Ah i was away for sometime guys ,could`t login sorry about that .So there is one thing to mansion ,i forget to add that before.If you put your brush radius to big number and try to paint on low-poly its getting much much more laggier ,  its like 3-5 FPS lagg on 30 polys.The bigger the radius the laggier it gets.

I hope this help the developers.

Thanks

Best

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This might help, not sure if its a fix, but i noticed that when i try to creat topolygy, if the model being used was more that 3X then my tools would lag realy bad. The only thing i did was translate the model and scale it larger in order to have 2X or less on the model. This improved my tools by 100% and was able to finish model with zero lag.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

This might help, not sure if its a fix, but i noticed that when i try to creat topolygy, if the model being used was more that 3X then my tools would lag realy bad. The only thing i did was translate the model and scale it larger in order to have 2X or less on the model. This improved my tools by 100% and was able to finish model with zero lag.

At the end of the day, it still boils down to how many pixels 3D Coat has to apply with each stroke...so theoretically, scaling your model up = scaling your brush radius down, no? I've asked Andrew repeatedly if he could maybe update OpenGL to 4.x+ and/or DX to 12 (I believe Nvidia said DX12 would work going back to the GTX 4xx Fermi cards)....in hopes that it would boost overall performance and enable 3D Coat to shine when working on very large textures.

While performance is remarkably in good in most situations, it has too noticeable dropoff in others (very large brush radius' + very large maps). And the channel opacity sliders are so slow, they are almost unusable...unless you are working on a game model with 2k or smaller maps.

• Like 1