3DCoat Forums

Smart Material not returning to default

illbleed

Go to solution Solved by Magic Man,

Hi,

When i right click and open up smart material editor.. i hit reset so i can return back the colors it originally had and instead it gives me this weird block under my smart material. I have no idea how to bring them back and closing and opening just opens up with this every time.

post-39494-0-67697300-1436591946_thumb.p

Hi

Smart Material Properties

Your Preferred Mapping Selection is cubemapping ?

Um let me check. I haven't changed anything besides hitting reset because i changed a color. 

Edit: It looks like it was set to camera. Now that i switched it, the material is still gone. it switched back to the icon it was before though. Instead of having the fabric material, it turned to a pure dark red.

Try Right click on material & "Restore factory defaults".

To get the normal icon you will have to change its mapping to cube mapping as carlo says.

That just makes it like it shows up on the image i attached. For some odd reason it just shows a gradient red and gradient black instead of the actual material. 

Right click on material and set the preferred mapping to cube mapping. Does that fix the icon ?

If you change to cube mapping in preview options, that won't work.

post-38178-0-73136500-1436695947_thumb.j

Edited by kevjon

Right click on material and set the preferred mapping to cube mapping. Does that fix the icon ?

If you change to cube mapping in preview options, that won't work.

It fixes the icon issue, but the smart material is still gone. This is what it looks like. I haven't changed any of the files. 

post-39494-0-42690700-1437126842_thumb.p

• 7 months later...

No, the path location for the smart material texture was wrong so I changed it to this path inside the smart material editor:

C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Documents\3D-CoatV45\patterns\cartoon

The thumb for the smart material has been regenerated now by 3D-Coat, but it has not returned to its original state as you can see in this picture:

post-39686-0-86505000-1457349688_thumb.p

The original material had more layers before I decided to reset it, but now it has only one.

• Solution

Thanks for the help, carlosan! I copied the cartoon folder that you supplied to my patterns folder and got the original wood material back. I'll make sure to always duplicate a smart material before I make any changes to it from now on :yes:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think my problem is similar...

I just installed 4.8.07, current version, hoping to find the smart materials. I only have three materials in the default tab of the smart materials. Not sure where to look or how to reload/show the smart materials that come with 3dc.