3DCoat Forums

how to import roughness properly?

kirkl

• Advanced Member

Whenever I try to import roughness channel into 3d coat I get noting even remotely close to what it should be looking like.    Then if I Import same texture set into "PBR material"  preset  it's again looks totally different.

What is the right procedure ?    When I import just gray-scale single channel files it still asks me what channel ?         Should I invert the roughness to turn it into glossiness ?     

I hate Substance Painter and prefer 3d coat so much   but I get instant almost identical look there without any troubles

• 11 months later...

Well I have exactly the same issue here. I painted different elements from a full scene separately. And when I merge them together, I manage to import the textures and build the scene, but impossible to import the roughness OR metalness properly. I lose all the work I did and need to do it again. If someone knows how to do that, it would help big time ! Weird thing is the png or tga generated by 3DCoat are well understood by Unity or Sketchfab for example, but 3DCoat doesn't understand them properly and the effect I have in the viewport is nothing close to what it looked like.

Here is a screenshot of the scene I'm mounting piece by piece from objects I already painted. But no more roughness/metalness information, which sucks big time ! (When importing a .3b most of the textures need to be imported by hand by the way. Importing a .3b often create layers with the texture name but nothing in it, I have to import the obj or 3b and then the textures manually). I tried every way to import (cf. "convert RGBA image to monochrome" in screenshot below) and different layer blending but can't just get (at all) the result I had when I first painted the objects....

MergeRough-Metal.png

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com

I don't have the answer, but have you tried opening the PNG in Photoshop or Gimp ... and converting it to a true greyscale image there, then importing that?  Technically, if the image is a greyscale using color, picking either the red, green, or blue channel should be the same, because greys always are equi-color (ie - 0x00CFCFCF).  So if 3D Coat isn't working correctly using one of those options, it would appear to be a bug in the program.