9 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 11 Winner

• ajz3d
    • benk
    • BringItBack
    • carlosan
    • Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Hold on Michael it is not over yet as I am just sketching out my coup de gras project of a coconut ninja. Look out!!!!!!!!

bk

post-38932-0-62758400-1440548006_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Sorry Michael no updates. Other responsibilities taking time. Just now attempting to retopo and see if I can do some painting. Unfortunately I do not have a good grasp of the retopo paint workflow so I will struggle a bit.

I imagine you are about done with your Houdini magic by now.

bk

• Advanced Member

Started to retopo but was getting frustrated so I thought I would try a bit of direct painting. Not quite what I am looking for yet.

bk

post-38932-0-43504000-1440816171_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Contributor

Paint on it , no worries , i just wanted to take full steps for getting up to date  my learning curve  , yours is looking good already.

You are painting the deep tissues , veins etc or hair straight up?

By the way  , those eyes gives me the chills , love em.

• Advanced Member

Here is a try with pbr materials. Michael I used some image textures along with height modified direct painting on previous post. It kind of washed out the surface geometry so I thought it might be worth looking at the thing as if it were more metallic using pbr.

bk

post-38932-0-05955400-1440898321_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Contributor

Found a little time today and got Rat into Toolbag....

For low poly asset it kicks @ss lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kasso55nhmc29l/rat_low_poly.png?dl=0

rat_low_poly.png?dl=0

So , this is the Final so far.

Will try to get it into Houdini in the coming week if work allows to.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Looks like a winner to me. Seems like you are getting great material qualities out of Marmoset. Do you still plan on putting this guy in a scene? Would be nice to see him out of the blurred (I assume) HDRI. 

bk

• Like 1

• Contributor

It looks good yes i agree , but its 10% of how its looks in Houdini with the right custom shaders and Fur.

Yes i still plan on getting both rats in a scene together , my problem is that i got updates and new projects from work and my time is really really limited.

Thats why i uploaded this one today , just to play safe lol.

P.S

If you don't have toolbag already give it a try.....

• Advanced Member

My time is up for this project so I will call this post my Final Version.

bk

post-38932-0-10683900-1441047873_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Looks like my image was too big for post. Here is rescaled version.

bk

post-38932-0-07579200-1441048252_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Contributor

Like it a lot , congrats Benk .

My final here  and here for bigger

Let the best RAT win ggrrr..... i mean Let the best MAN win lol  ahahahaahaha

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

The grass was basically an experiment for me. I tried a number of approaches but basically made it as you describe TimmyZDesign. I made a curve spike primitive, applied axial sym to make a clump, axial sym to clump, copied several times and altered scale of copies and rotated to fill areas, cut off to one plane, used ripple tool to distort, smooth tool to distort, rescale and applied to uniform space.

Looks to me like Michael has the winner. Need some more competitors folks. How about it Ajz3d? Are you back from vacation with a quick hairy creature? How about you TimmyZDesign? I am sure there are others out there with some hairyness to display; the bison and rat are lonely.

bk

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes yes , Bison and Rat tooooo lonely , in case i win i will add a $100 at least out of my pocket for the next competition.

It can even be a $20 entrance and winner takes it all.

Have some good solid ideas to attract people back to the competitions.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thanks benk for the explanation! I think your grass turned out quite well. The bison looks good too!

Yeah I've always wanted to participate in these challenges (I was even one of the people who helped get the very first challenge thread going), but unfortunately I suddenly got much more busy than before, so I've never participated since the first challenge.

If however there will be money or prizes involved (as Michael suggested), I would definitely make it more of a priority to participate. :) On the other hand, I don't know if Pilgway would let us compete for money though...maybe if we only do it for a maximum of $50 it would be allowed? Once money gets involved, things could go wrong. What if there are problems with the payments, or somebody doesn't pay as promised? I like the idea of it, but it has to be handled well.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I agree , things may go wrong , seen it a couple times.

A Pilgway member can keep the amount (what ever this is , as long as it attracts a lot of members back in order to participate again).

Small amounts  (no more than $20)  and a lot of participants = a really good amount for the lucky / talented artist.

You know , i am so grateful for 3d coat , that i really want to give some back.

I believe that with a price , some decent cash amount  and a couple free  licenses (edu for 2nd and third place , gift from Pilgway team) we can attract a lot of people , get some good pieces on the gallery and attract even more people again and again.

I know that studios (small and medium , even a couple biggie's)  use 3d coat already , we use it as well as a studio here  ,  but i want to see it even higher , go bigger , faster /  better  you know?

For users and freelancers , i saw some good pieces on Artstation but they don't post them here as well, this has to change. I have some really really good pieces unfortunately under NDA , but i promise to upload once it expires.

Anyway , I really hope that this action/idea  will receive a good amount of support and attention in order to get 3d coat where it deserves to be...... ON TOP.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I also hope that competitions may also serve to help with the development of the program...by focusing on new features or giving feedback to Andrew via a compressed alpha or beta phase. I think to some extent this is the basis of Blender's development scheme with open movie projects. Clearly incentives are needed and will need to be looked at hard as a return on investment. Nonetheless I think there should still be opportunity in a competition to not only market the software but to contribute to its continual improvement.

To some extent this is my motivation for picking Hairy Creature as a topic. Clearly 3DC does not have a hair or particle system. Maybe it doesn't need one. I was interested in seeing how creative people might deal with the task without 100 more buttons and variables to adjust to make a model with.

bk

• Like 2

• Contributor

I finished all my likes for today on your doodles so i cant like your post here!!!!

I can tell you though that i REALLY LIKE that you are going to participate.

CRITTEEERREESSSSSSSS love em

• Like 1