3DCoat Forums

Projection problem

Debrovski..

Hi, everyone! I am new in 3DC and i need help.

I am trying to project this hi-res tileable pattern to small part of low-res texture(lol). Yes, i understand it is imposible to get nice result , but i have no choise coz of memory limit.

Anyway, i get better results from "classic" apps like GIMP.

Pattern.

3.png

Results

2.png

I think the reason is method of texture interpolation while  texture resizing, i can choose several in GIMP like "Cubic", "Linear", but i dont see it in 3DC =(

Thanks in advance

Hi!

You are correct in the interpolation method. It can be changed to other methods pretty easily. When you're using a Smart Material, there is a popup that has all of the methods, in a drop down list. The drop down list on the bottom left of the Smart Material popup, by default it should say "Cube Mapping". Let me know if that helps.

Hi, Javis!

Thanks for your reply, but it seems you dont understand my problem correctly, it is not about mapping, so i've made clear example for you  :)

OK, so i have a simple plane, with 256x256 texture:

11.png

And this huge 3600x3600 texture

22.png

Then i import it in 3DC as new material, choose "From Camera" mapping method, go to orthographic top view and start painting it on the plane:

33.png

Final result:

44.png

But if i just resize this 3600x3600 texture to 256x256 in GIMP, result is much better:

55.png

Problem is that my future models will consist of hundreds of  separated small UV-islands to rationally occupy limited texture space, so it is just impossible to work in 2D apps like Photoshop or GIMP...

So generally, i need 3DC to draw hi-res to low-res texture without these weird distortions