3DCoat Forums

Quixel Suite 2.0 - 3D painting

PolyHertz

• Contributor

I am standing in only one thing here and thats out of pure love for the software (as we all active users at-least feel)

As AbnRanger well said bashing will do only damage , intentional or not (yes i admit i get nervs some time , its in the game 100000% ) it will still do damage.

Everything will be done / created / fixed.

• Contributor

pure love for the software (as we all active users at-least feel)

Yes this is so true. When I use 3D-Coat I actually feel like I am having fun, it is a very enjoyable experience. When I use any other software it feels more like work.

I mean, other software can be exciting and cool to use as well, but there is a certain special feeling about using 3D-Coat that I don't get elsewhere. The UI in 3D-Coat just makes so much sense to me, the tools and controls so intuitive. No it is not perfect, there are bugs and missing features, but I wish I could just do everything in 3D-Coat if that were possible.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I was just asking Andrew, via Skype about the slow performance of the Magic Wand, and compared it to the FILL tool > Fill with Freeze (which does the same exact thing), and he saw the big difference. He said he will looking into it, but if there is no change in the next build, someone may need to remind him, via e-mail, as he often gets pulled in a dozen different directions.

As for Paint layer improvements, I would suggest everyone record a short video outlining the improvements you want to see. I was asking Andrew about implementing the exposed maps from the Smart Materials Editor, to the Paint Layers. Meaning, you can click the little toggle next to Visibility icon, and uncheck channels you do not want on a given layer. That theoretically should reduce overall memory consumption, and overall performance as 3D Coat doesn't have to load 4-5 unnecessary maps/channels on each layer, if they use only wants color or depth, etc.

Secondly, in the Smart Material editor, under each layer, if one of the channels has a map assigned to it, you can see it highlighted. In Paint Layers, when one expands all the channels, the ones that have paint information should be highlighted, and the others greyed out...so the user can quickly look at their layers and see which layer has some work done in a given channel. It's not easy to tell, currently.

Any other suggestions to add or improve this are certainly welcome. Andrew said he plans to add the layer masks on the individual layers, so it's still on the To Do list. As an option, I hope that he allows the current implementation to remain, so it's still possible to assign a single mask to multiple layers.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Yup.

"...The benefit it has over PS is that you can use one layer to mask multiple layers.....

...If you like all the tweaks to a Smart Material YOU SAVE IT SO YOU CAN USE IT LATER!...If you like all the tweaks to a material, you want to save that as a new one. It's not rocket science..."

• Reputable Contributor

Gimp have good Layer Mask implementation. Sadly 3DC doesnt work using channels atm.

Add-Mask-Dialog.png

True. Currently, if you want to mask just glossiness on a layer, and not color or depth, you can't just isolate it to that. You need to create separate the layers, link each to the one mask layer and just group them all together. It works, but not as elegant as having options when you link a layer to the mask layer

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger, good suggestions there for improving Layers.  The more visual and immediate the feedback is the more clarity 3DC will have.

I would add to the idea of Layer Masks to make them have their own  Layer System parented under the Layer they are influencing; if you get my meaning.

Quite often in Photoshop I've wanted to be able to layer up my masks i.e. One mask for material ID, the next for local grime detail, another for masking out specific details like Stitching etc.  Being able to stack masks would be very powerful.

I do not post very often here, but the layer panel in 3dCoat could benefit from some improvements, I think.

As for ideas for an improved layer stack, I would strongly suggest anyone to check out how Photoline handles layer masks and instanced layers. In contrast to Photoshop, layer masks in Photoline behave like regular layers, and can be grouped together easily to create stackable layer masks. Even layer effects and non-destructive adjustment layers can be applied to layer masks and layer mask groups.

Even better, any layer or group (including layer masks) can be cloned as "virtual layers", which update in real-time when the source layer is edited: incredibly handy, and far more flexible and elegant compared to smart objects and clipping masks in Photoshop.

Krita supports similar virtual cloned layers. In Photoline these clones can be part of other layer masks again. It is an incredibly flexible and efficient layer stack. Add in the option to have a -200 up to +200 layer opacity, and you have a layer stack system which allows for a quite interesting workflow.

Having a layer stack such as Photoline's would be great in 3DC.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the Photoline mention Herbert.  I'm going to have a look at Photoline,  it seems like the perfect Layer based masking system (the next best thing to going Node based)

Another thing that bugs me with 3DCoat Layer Masks;  it's not a solid Black/White mask like Photoshop it uses transparency.  So transferring any Layer masks from existing Photoshop files is a pain.