3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat & Linux

Andrew Shpagin

Hi Andrew

Any more news on the Linux port?

thanks

I asked programmer, he told that engine is almost compiled. It was more complex then expected. And he had other urgent tasks for 2.5 weeks, it also decreased speed.

The one good thing is that there is almost no difference between 64 and 32 bit compiling.

• 4 weeks later...

As I just saw this thread (and well, that sure I don't post really often ...), I just want to say that I'm also very interrested in a linux version too.

hope to see that, and then I can upgrade to V3 on linux... the cherry on the top of the cake

keep up the good work

cheers,

Pustulax

• 1 month later...
  • Applink Developer

Ashley. Give a try with WINE. 3d-coat works quite well in it. There is some issues but overall performance is good. But I think that we don't have to wait for so long to get the linux version.

Hi Andrew,

OSX 64 bit support could be great too but as you said more complex to achieve because of the OSX APIs.

I own a Syntheyes license which is a great cross platform matchmover and there is a OSX 64bit version (great support & fast bug fix with Russ Andersson).

But the price policy is that the 64bit costs more as it is an harder task to port.

I think people would pay more for a 3D-COAT 64 bit OSX support, especially if they own a MAC Pro with 6 to 16 GB of RAM.

Anyway I have a ubuntu box too so a Linux 64 port will be great.

• Advanced Member

Not running Linux right now as I want a dedicated rig for that since I install it AFTER I have Windows and it always corrupts my boot loader so I will put my vote in but will have to wait a bit till I can cobble together that other rig (I have the box to do it but .... too busy right now to set it up) :unsure:

Hi all! I’m porting engine on which 3d-coat is based to Linux. Sorry for delay :pardon: , but I was very busy with my another project – platformer game for Xbox 360 and PS3 (

). It is really difficult to work simultaneously on two different projects. But for now I’m totally focused on Linux port, so beta testing will begin shortly (I hope :rolleyes: ). Most probably for beta testing there will be only 64-bit version compiled on Linux Ubuntu 8.04.

• Advanced Member
Hi all! I’m porting engine on which 3d-coat is based to Linux. Sorry for delay :pardon: , but I was very busy with my another project – platformer game for Xbox 360 and PS3 (
). It is really difficult to work simultaneously on two different projects. But for now I’m totally focused on Linux port, so beta testing will begin shortly (I hope :rolleyes: ). Most probably for beta testing there will be only 64-bit version compiled on Linux Ubuntu 8.04.

Very nice looking 3D platformer I must say. The net on the main character are a very nice touch. are they calculated in realtime?

• Advanced Member

I'd be very much interested to see a linux version. I work at a studio principally creating vfx creatures, and I like the idea of a voxel to poly to displaced renderman surface workflow.

Currently we use Mudbox, prior to that we used Zbrush.

Jamie Macdougall

ArtifexStudios.com

Thank you all for your positive feedback on the game – it is very important step for the engine cross – platform evolution.

Roger_K

The game itself is real-time for sure :rolleyes: - 50 – 60 FPS on Xbox 360. The Net animation is calculated based on 4 animations: stand, jump, fall, run. Because of animations weighted blending transitions are smooth.

Now the engine has been completely ported to Linux. Every function works as expected. We’re going to the last step: compiling the whole project – the engine + platform independent 3d-coat files.

P.S. Do you know that installing Wacom tablet under Linux is not a simple task!? To enable eraser and pressure support you should perform several user unfriendly things. Read more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom

I agree. I'm really looking forward to testing 3DC on Linux. Once I have 3DC, and CORE is finished up. I will have a total solution on Linux for all my work needs and can kiss M$ goodbye.

• Advanced Member
Thank you all for your positive feedback on the game it is very important step for the engine cross platform evolution.

Roger_K

The game itself is real-time for sure :rolleyes: - 50 60 FPS on Xbox 360. The Net animation is calculated based on 4 animations: stand, jump, fall, run. Because of animations weighted blending transitions are smooth.

Now the engine has been completely ported to Linux. Every function works as expected. Were going to the last step: compiling the whole project the engine + platform independent 3d-coat files.

P.S. Do you know that installing Wacom tablet under Linux is not a simple task!? To enable eraser and pressure support you should perform several user unfriendly things. Read more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

• Advanced Member

what i meant was 'is the calculation of the secondary movement on the net calculated in realtime or baked into the animation' :) i wasnt expecting a non realtime game, that would be no fun at all :D

Linux unfriendly??? what.. never :D

I agree. I'm really looking forward to testing 3DC on Linux. Once I have 3DC, and CORE is finished up. I will have a total solution on Linux for all my work needs and can kiss M$ goodbye.

How can you let photoshop go? I've never been able to make the GIMP do what photoshop does

• Advanced Member

I just installed ubuntu after my recent experience with fedora linux in the office. I hated it but to my surprise I like ubuntu. If 3dc comes out for linux what would be the drawbacks compared to win version? Its much better to buy another workstation and install linux than to buy win vista and another workstation :clapping:

For now I'm going to try wine. Which version of 3dc is recommended for ubuntu 9.04? non cuda 32 or 64? I have a qc6600 workstation with nvidia gfx.

And when I tried to install 3dc it tries to install in C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3 which I dont know where it is in linux. Lol! Where's the installation going to? Thanks in advance for any advise.

• Applink Developer

ok! Free or not I will get it. I will start to pass the word. I think that there is quite a lot linux users who wants to try this baby.

It would be nice to see CUDA support in linux version.

Great news! Will there be a 32bit version too?

And it would be nice to have a license per computer no matter which operating system. Meaning that if I have windows on my machine too it would be nice to use the same key in linux and in windows.

cheers