3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat & Linux

Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat works well with wine, but native app is better especially because of 64-bit support.

Porting is not difficult, most of complex work was done during Win->OSX porting, but Mac guy is slightly busy now, so I need to know if Linux market is big enough to ask him to make Linux porting.

Both Maya and Houdini have Linux versions for a start. Plus most Linux versions have 64 bit as well as 32 bit versions.

I'm all for Linux. 3D coat seems OK under Wine but obviously native would be better. It's maybe not so crucial at the moment but the market can only grow. Some well known modeling apps have native Linux versions. I also think 3D coat is an excellent partner for Blender which is obviously widely used on Linux. Since a lot of people on Linux are not spending a lot of money on software then the high cost of apps like ZBrush is off putting. ZBrush does work under Wine but I think the market for 3D Coat could be bigger. I don't see Pixologic developing a Linux version of ZBrush any time soon. It took them long enough to get ZBrush 3 Mac out. I'm sure there is a future market for 3D Coat on Linux. Of course future changes in 3D Coat could break it's functioning under Wine which is the problem.

At present, a Linux version could eat into resources for Win or Mac versions so maybe not so important but for the future I'd say it would be very cool.

I am voting for a Linux port. Most of established studios have Linux in their pipeline. Some of the most visible animation studios in Spain have Linux only platform. I am setting up my pipeline around Linux only.

If u have Linux version, like efflux said, your market can only grow, especially since your competitors dont have any Linux versions even though many of their customers asked for the versions.

Your price package is more attractive compared to your competitors, and your software received good reviews everywhere, so I think having a Linux version will help to grow your market even more.

Anyway, just a thought, why not using some framework like QT or wxwidgets for example to make cross platform products? It'll be easier to support the products then. Plus if some developer doesnt like the MOC idea from QT, one can always implement call event methods readily available from various library, like the ones in Boost, and just use QT to abstract the GUI part? I imagine that the engine is already 100% or close to be platform independent, right?

Anyway this is my first post here. Sorry if indeed some cross platform toolkit is actually used. If that's the case, then coupled with market growth on Linux platform, users request for this product and products from your competitors on Linux version (and the absence of any sculpting products on Linux), I think it supports even more for a Linux version of 3DC.

cheers,

Faizol

• 3 weeks later...

That is incredible news.

If that is the case, you may want to start thinking about "site licensing" or "floating licenses" as my current studio (working on a 'A' animated movie) will certainly look at these options!

Very smart move guys. :)

If I buy a pro license now can I get it changed to the linux one when it comes out?

OSX programmer has got the task to port on Linux. It is not first priory task for him, but I think that Linux port will be done at least until V3.

Let me get this straight so that I understand-you will do a Linux port, but not until after v3 is finished?

What Linux distros are you going to support? Might I suggest Ubuntu (Debian) and Redhat for a start?

Cheers

Doug

Our programmer started at Linux Ubuntu 64

I don't know when he will finish. This task can take from 1 week to 1.5-2 months (because this is not high priory task for him).

I am sure there in not much work. Most of work was done during porting to mac and to 64-bit windows.

About licensing - I think there will be same policy as for Mac version (+40$ = Linux+Mac+Win).

Key from Mac version will work on Linux.

Our programmer started at Linux Ubuntu 64

Good news for me-that's the Linux distro that I use! :-)

I don't know when he will finish. This task can take from 1 week to 1.5-2 months (because this is not high priory task for him). I am sure there in not much work. Most of work was done during porting to mac and to 64-bit windows.

No hurry, I'd rather it was done right, rather than fast and buggy!

About licensing - I think there will be same policy as for Mac version (+40$ = Linux+Mac+Win).

Key from Mac version will work on Linux.

I own 3dC for windows. Are you saying that I would need to pay $40 more for the Linux version, but an 3dC Mac user gets the Linux version for free? that hardly seems fair.

Houdini lets you change from Windows to Linux by simply deregstering the Houdini Windows then registering for Houdini Linux-all at no cost.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi!

Can somebody help me. I try to install 3d-coat alpha 47 to ubuntu 8.10. I'm using Wine latest version

1.1.11 something like that. Everything goes well first. Wine starts installing program and install program

to my computer and then adds 3d-coat to apps menu. But then when I press that name it only loads 10 second

and then nothing. If somebody could help I would be grateful.

• Applink Developer

okey! now I downloaded the version without cuda support and I think that I'm heading to right direction. Now it

is trying to start program but it gives an error and this is the error in opengl version.

Default file source is folder "C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA"

Added "Bmp" image codec.

Added "Dds" image codec.

Added "Jpg" image codec.

Added "Tga" image codec.

Added "Png" image codec.

Added "cAnim" animation codec.

Added "Md5Anim" animation decoder.

Added "Fbx" animation decoder.

Added "cModel" model codec.

Added "Md5Mesh" model decoder.

Added "Obj" model decoder.

Added "Fbx" model decoder.

Added "cCamera" camera codec.

Added "Fbx" camera decoder.

------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics card and driver info

------------------------------------------------------------

OpenGL Renderer

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer: GeForce 8800 GS/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 177.80

Supported:

Pixel format

Multitexture (units: 4)

Anisotropic filtering (level: 16)

Texture Compression

Vertex Attributes (count: 1)

Frame Buffer Object

Float texture

Unsupported:

Vertex Buffer Object

OpenGL Shading Language

• Applink Developer

Thanks Andrew for help. I decided to wait Linux release when it comes. Until that I will continue to work with Winodws Xp.

But when 3d-coat linux comes I can finally say bye bye windows and start to use 3d-coat and blender with ubuntu 64.

This is good time to be linux user.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

just adding my 2 cents.

3D Coat on Linux would rock my world!

I got silo running under wine and it runs well enough but there is a distinct lack of sculpting tools for linux... Blender sculpt seems waaayy too underdeveloped and awkward to me (I found blender too odd to get used do).

I am trying to transition from zBrush.

...all I would need is a Photoshop replacement. (don't say gimp)

+1 for 3d coat for linux (64bit? - SuSE).

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Andrew

I know you are busy but anymore news on the linux port??

thanks

There was long pause in development (tried to port on 64-bit OSX). But there are essential broblems (no we know why there is no Photoshop for 64 bit OSX - Apple made EXTREMELY VERY BAD - JUST NO WORDS API for 64 bit) We resumes Linux port week ago, it goes well. Programmer tells that it will be done until the end of the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, found this thread through the search function. Right now I'm using zbrush in wine, but once 3d-coat has a native version it will immediately be far more viable a solution for me. (especially if you have 64 bit support!)

So as far as I'm concerned the fact that you're working on it is excellent news. Any idea when we can expect a release?

Hi,

...all I would need is a Photoshop replacement. (don't say gimp)

+1 for 3d coat for linux (64bit? - SuSE).

+1 For OpenSUSE x64 distro.

As for Photoshop, CS2 works via wine, not sure about the others, But thankfully Andrew's painting tools are likely

enough for most things anyway.