3DCoat Forums

Can I work with 16bit/channel diffuse textures?

Hi! I want to get more smoother gradients when I draw texture - without sharp steps between two colors. I think that 16 bit/chnl texture provide more soft and smoother transition between two different colors. Can I use 16 bit/ch textures in 3D-Coat and where this option is?

• Reputable Contributor

Hi! I want to get more smoother gradients when I draw texture - without sharp steps between two colors. I think that 16 bit/chnl texture provide more soft and smoother transition between two different colors. Can I use 16 bit/ch textures in 3D-Coat and where this option is?

I asked Andrew about this, recently. You can output 16 and 32 bit displacement maps, and use 16 bit masks/materials, if I recall correctly. But, painting in 3D Coat is 8bit. Might help to e-mail Andrew (support@3D-coat.com) and ask for 16bit color support in the Paint Workspace.

Hi, AbnRanger,  thanks for answer - yes you understand me correctly: I mean painting of Diffuse (Color) texture in 16 bit/channel mode in Paint Room . But it is impossible - I so sad.
Certainly - main my goal in this process - to get smooth gradients between the colours in my Diffuse (Color)  texture when I draw it. And 16 bit/channel  mode will be very useful in solving this problem.
Here you may see differences between painting on 16 and 8bit/ch maps in Mudbox:

post-39169-0-31521500-1446120451_thumb.j

Edited by x-OL

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, Pebble09 said:

Has this been added in v4.7 now?

I don't think so. Please send a personal request to Andrew (Owner/Chief Developer) at support@3dcoat.com. The more people request this feature, the more importance it carries when Andrew determines what to work on next. He was/is supposedly working on re-writing layer masking in the Paint workspace, so he might go ahead and add it in, since he is working in that same part of the application

• 2 weeks later...