3DCoat Forums

Sketch Thread - JamesE

JamesE

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments all!

I like that sculpt.The nice thing about using the shader tree and keeping the meshes separate is the ability to use different shaders for the individual parts.

I would like to see this piece shadered.The copy tool is really good for making clothing off a base mesh.That's the way I've been doing it.

Keep it up!

YES I love the copy brush! I use mesh extraction quite heavily in zbrush and this is so much better.

I'll definitely need to refine the clothing more... it is barely touched from the initial copy I made from the base body. I mostly created the extra details on it like the cuffs and collar by using the copy brush as well and refining those parts first so now I need to go back and make the wrinkles, folds and extra volume that defines them as clothing instead of skin.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Had an itch to make a generic space marine dude so I thought I'd try a blockout in 3dcoat and see how it went.

post-900-1249281423_thumb.png post-900-1249281460_thumb.png

I started a new dropbox gallery for my 3dcoat sketches too as this one is already quite messy with posts etc. Link is in my signature at the bottom.

• Advanced Member
did you take the space marine any further? would be interesting to see how those hard surfaces work out

Thanks for the comments guys - I'll try and get back to finishing that punk dude... keep getting distracted with starting new stuff in this program hehe.

GED: I started doing retopology on the marine so that I could take it into zbrush and finish it but since there was no real design effort put into it I didn't want to put any more effort into it. I've started a new marine instead - something a bit more challenging and worth taking to completion. The first was really just a test to see if I'd like doing hard surface blockouts in 3dc. Will post a pic soon!

• Advanced Member

Here's another blockout. I wanted something I'd be a little more interested in completing than my last one. Most of it is still at base resolution, though I did extract some pieces and up the rez a bit or swap them out with primitives where it made sense (like cylinders etc). Still got a few more things to try out on it, then I'll sharpen it up, retopo and send it off to zbrush.

post-900-1250485305_thumb.png post-900-1250485316_thumb.png

Here's another blockout. I wanted something I'd be a little more interested in completing than my last one. Most of it is still at base resolution, though I did extract some pieces and up the rez a bit or swap them out with primitives where it made sense (like cylinders etc). Still got a few more things to try out on it, then I'll sharpen it up, retopo and send it off to zbrush.

post-900-1250485305_thumb.png post-900-1250485316_thumb.png

Nive. Hope we will see him finished.

• Advanced Member
Nive. Hope we will see him finished.

Thanks Taros!

I've started upping the resolution and trying to refine it... going well so far. I think at some point I'm going to hit that wall where, without decent masking tools I won't be able to get the same kind of detail I would otherwise in ZB. Regardless, I think I want to try and take it as far as I can in 3dc and see what happens. Working in small, manageable chunks is the key to getting good performance and brush control with voxels. Copy brush becomes very important even in later stages, if you need to extract pieces for further detailing - better than trying to force it with fewer pieces I find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Quick update... some small tweaks and refinements here and there. I've decided I'm going to keep this one in 3dc just for the experience and maybe later build a cinematic version using polygons. Still got some more stuff I want to try adding to it for variations too. Hard to break away from concept mode to 'just get it done' mode in this software. =]

post-900-1252397241_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

Thanks rimasson =]

I'm actually planning to do some vids, just been a bit busy between work and home recently. I've had the luxury of being able to use 3dc for both work and play and would love to share some of that experience. Will definitely try to cover some hard surface stuff - though I fear my process isn't nearly complicated enough to impress anyone or teach them something they didn't already know. It's just brute force sculpting for the most part. Still, 3dc is just 'different' from other packages and it's probably worth exposing those differences to others.

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys, really trying hard to make it look hard surface. Really just an experiment to try to achieve it through sculpting, since Tinker's work already shows how easy it is to import polygons, I thought I'd try a different approach to push the software.

Quick update... some small tweaks and refinements here and there. I've decided I'm going to keep this one in 3dc just for the experience and maybe later build a cinematic version using polygons. Still got some more stuff I want to try adding to it for variations too. Hard to break away from concept mode to 'just get it done' mode in this software. =]

post-900-1252397241_thumb.png

:good:

• Advanced Member
great work. But Im confused who is who with the same avatar and making same posts. :P

I created one avatar at home and another at work one day when I needed to post on the forum about something. I had just moved to a new city, new internet provider, etc so I didn't have all my regular personal internet info etc. on hand. I should probably drop one now eh? =]

Taros: :drinks:

• Advanced Member

post-885-1252738904_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252738920_thumb.jpg

Heh, had to take some time to play with curves today just to see what they were like. This implementation actually feels less 'fiddly' to me than zspheres - even with all their new functionality. I really enjoy using the curve tool for blockouts, especially knowing that I can start sculpting right away and I still have full freedom to do whatever I want and not think about the polygons. Using curves and voxels just feels more direct. Granted, zspheres are still poseable before committing to the mesh, but honestly, once I hit that main pose I'm less interested in being able to use a full rig much further. With voxels that just seems to matter less anyway. Just some personal observation.

I then got carried away with the muscle tool - about 10 mins from first point on the curve rig to the last voxel stroke. Lowest rez. Nothing fancy, just enjoying the new tools.

• Advanced Member

Cheers guys!

I can't stop now! =\

Something I've been wanting to do for awhile to work on a fully posed sculpt from scratch. Almost all the character work I do is for games so I pretty much model 100% of the time using a symmetrical rig pose, which is very boring! I'm trying something a bit different this time - more along the lines of what tree321 does with his sculpts.

I decided to capture the process a bit as well. So here is the rough blockout:

post-885-1252826645_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826660_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826668_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826678_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826683_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826688_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826695_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826703_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826711_thumb.jpg

post-885-1252826717_thumb.jpg