3DCoat Forums

smooth seam tillable sculpting

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

I know we have the instanced voxels, and the surface tiled also instanced, but thats not good enough. I need to be able to sculpt/paint smoothly across the tiled edge. Even if its only in surface mode thats fine, if it works. I see from my search its been brought up before. 

I want to sculpt terrain textures, and its all about smooth sculpting across tillable seams. The picture attached shows how that (2 strokes) could never be smoothed perfectly with this setup. That needs to be 1 stroke that seamlessly draws across the tiled edge.  

Are we anywhere near being able to do that? 

post-12687-0-43315700-1446741043_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Another way it could work is brush instancing, (vs surface instancing) with an offset, so on 1 plane I'm painting 9 times. 

So if I bring in a plane 90x90 and offset my brush 30 I should get a perfect tiled space in the middle 30x30. 

Edited by David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

This has been requested many times, with a lot of forum posts about it. Its frustrating when my co-workers tell me the solution is another piece of software, but I don't want to use another software I want to use 3d coat for all my sculpting needs. Would it help if I said Please? :D

I would say the request is for instancing of brushes. so a user can have copied strokes with a user defined offset. This would be amazing. 

• Advanced Member

I don't need to retopo, so what would I do in the retopo to get tiling? 

I'm only baking down to textures.

Edit just added an example. You're not going to get this to tile with out paint fixes in photoshop. Its frustrating that I have to come up with a lot of extra steps to get this to work for me. 

post-12687-0-74713500-1446914364_thumb.j

Edited by David Schoneveld

• Contributor

You got me, buddy! BTW, with you in LA and me in Humboldt County, our exchanges are faster than any I have encountered. As your problem arises in the Sculpt room, perhaps you can abandon the tile there and make a new one in the Retopo that covers the whole plane. It would mean creating the tilable texture in Sculpt, perhaps with the 2D grid to aid stroke placement. and using a typical 'seamless' technique to devide the plane and place the parts with smoothing the union.