3DCoat Forums

3DC and Substance Painter, good companions

digman

• Advanced Member

Yeap , exactly , try doing this with another paint software ahahahahahahahhaa

There are two ways to become a TD nowadays;

1. Serve a 10 year unpaid internship after two years of school at $30,000.00 a year.

2. Be a NASA engineer deeply involved in image processing.

:unsure:

http://magazine.artstation.com/2015/11/free-gnomon-event-break-industry-nov-5/

The software and hardware keep getting more and more incredibly powerful but the hurdles you have to jump to get in are getting higher with that it seems.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

i remember someone bringing up houdini engine integration. seemed dumb to me back then, but all the time seems like it would be a good idea. You'd get a bunch of procedural tools to build out models, and even add hair.. all kinds of interactive arrays, surface spreading etc..

• Reputable Contributor

First SP to 3DC test...

Simple test model sculpted in 3DC, exported out as a ply model with vertex color for baking the color ID map.

Later I will go and make the hoses rubber. but not in this test.

Bake high to low polygon in SP for all the basic maps.

Created the material.

Imported all needed maps into 3DC

Use 3DC to add a little bit of rust and then some darker grunge using smart materials

Lettering done with the text tool

Hand-Painted the distress over the lettering.

The material idea is not mine but from the tutorial, I just added my some variation to it...

Yepper,  SP and 3DC good neighbors...

post-518-0-29274300-1447030964_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you are quick you can get Substance Indie package for a 25% discount today. (black friday in France).

I took advantage of the sale to get the program.  I was obliged to learn it at work for texturing props for a TV show.  The biggest reason I bought the package for myself at home is I will have access to a huge load of materials and smart materials through their "Share" area on their website. . there are already hundreds of materials.   

Really hope 3DC will someday have a robust share library of PBR materials.

• Like 1

ple test model sculpted in 3DC, exported out as a ply model with vertex color for baking the color ID map.

Later I will go and make the hoses rubber. but not in this test.

Digiman,  What export setting do you use to in SP to get your PBR materials into 3DC?   At this point 3D-coat is definitely easier to use for stamps (decals) and freehand painting with more robust tools.  SP seems good for getting the base material and the live Indie package gives access to tons of free PBR materials.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

The UI on Painter is like a jigsaw. The smartmaterials are great but the overall workflow is so clanky.

But I feel their smart materials does have better resolution and more "realism" though. Also, they really have more marketing efforts.

Edited by dimitribastos