3DCoat Forums

Questions on pbr materials

jima

I am primarily a sculptor and the little I knew of material creation was obsoleted with the advent of pbr materials. So some questions/points.

1. I notice that Unity and some other 3d engines have pbr. Is there a common origin of all pbr systems? Is 3dc pbr descended from one of these other engines? Essentially, I'm trying to determine if pbr materials can be imported into 3dc from one of these other systems.

2. I've worked with textures in Bryce (by no means an expert) and based on that have created (kludged together) some smart materials. Quite unimpressive results. I've watched the video Javis made. It is clear he has developed a confident fluency with this tool. But I think he, like a lot of experts, forgets how diverse (dumb?) the audience might be. Also, that video in particular is a little blurry (I like to be able to see the path names for files used). Are there other videos in the works? Ideally, I could use a careful and thorough demo of each property in a layer, both by itself and in conjunction with the others. For example, I need more on info how to adjust and use noise. The conditional property looks really cool. It is clear that the primatives are there - I just don't know how to use them.

3. I find I need primarily sand, rock, and stone materials, and I think at this point I may have to buy them. It would be really ideal if 3dc had a huge palette of diverse materials as was shipped with Bryce 5, say.

Like every follower, I depend on the kindness and patience of able leaders.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, This video is not in English but watch it closely,,, It is clear enough to see and read. You can see how he creating his PBR material. He really goes through the steps. You can glean alot of useful information. In the one he is creating, he used UV projection for his first material but you have Cube mapping as well. It depends upon your model...

Second one is in English but not as much as a  blow by blow account... Glean what you can...

Third video is a video for navigating 3DC's  YouTube channel 

Whether there are other videos out there... I do not know... I will leave that for other users to post about.

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Greetings and welcome , Javis is a first class expert .

In general all 3D Coat tutorials are pretty straight forward so if i where you ,  i would leave the stress factor out and go see the tutorial a couple more times. (Done that been there)

It will help , trust me.

For buying materials you can subscribe to my store , i have more than 400+ pbr accurate materials and i will be updating with packs all the time.

P,S

You can make your own materials from your existing textures , but you cant import formats from another software.

• Contributor

It will come to you very naturally ,  3D Coat has by far on of the easiest and at the same time complex (in possibilities)  material creators i even had my hands on.

Hi,

Take the following with a big grain of salt since I haven't been deeply delving into 3D-coat In's and outs  for a long time myself, but:

1. generally yes, though If you don't fully fill a big mesh but rather paint some part(s) with other painting tools, that's not necessarily an issue. And even if you do (fill tool, big retopogroup object)... well, in most case even non-tilable textures can be useful as inputs in smart materials to fill objects, since they can easily be hidden either manually afterwards or from other layers of the same material.
here's one of my first experiments with 3Dcoat's SM, 3 layers (at the time), 2 textures, and the sandy ones used in the wavy grooves (concave parts) of the mesh is definitely non-tileable. I didn't even have to repaint on seams thanks to edge scattering and some noise in the material settings.

2015_10_29_000750.jpg

2. I would recommend the opposite actually. I don't see how auto-mapping would give any benefits, except for experimenting and self-learning Smart Materials, imho.